• Washington

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Tampa should win, but the Caps are the reigning Champs and they looked really good against TB last spring. It's hard for me to say. Would like to see this series again (although I'd rather see TOR in the ECF ;)).

Reactions: LatvianTwist

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
If the Caps stay out of the box they would have a great shot..If it 5 on 5 I'm extremely confident in the Caps ability to win that series.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I like the Capitals chances here, they showed last season that they match very well against Tampa.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Tampa, dgaf about past results, extropolations from them are not linear either.

Vassy, Sergachev, Point and others can improve and be the difference, the teams are pretty equal in terms of talent with Tampa having the edge, Washington has a lot more experience, but I'm still taking Tampa.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
They couldn't do it last year, can't see why they'd do it this year.

Caps.

The Caps deserve all the credit in the world for beating the Bolts in last season's ECF. And I will give it to them: They are perhaps one of five teams in the league with a real chance of winning the Stanley Cup. The Caps or Bolts will likely represent the Eastern Conference in the finals. But, in my opinion, to point to last season's result as a dispositive indicator of what will happen this upcoming postseason is defective logic. Such reasoning would have failed if applied to the Caps/Pens series last postseason.

In any event, the Caps and Bolts series was closer than what some trumpet around here. And I say that fully acknowledging the Caps (1) defeated the Bolts, and (2) took it right to them and controlled large parts of the series. That said, yes, the Caps blew out the Bolts in Games 1 and 2. The Bolts, however, rattled off three straight victories. The Caps then thoroughly dominated the Bolts in game 6 and 7. Yet if Holtby did not come up with a great performance in Game 6 (which was tied about halfway through the game), the result could have been different. I am not trying to recast history in any way. Instead, I simply raise these points to highlight that the series was closer than what some around here say - and it in no way should be a predicator of what will happen in Summer 2019.

Thus, the series was decided at the margins. And no one can account for a number of unknown variables that may be enough to affect the end result: (1) whether the Caps will play as hungry and determined as last year, (2) whether Holtby will be able to come up with another magical stretch of performances, (3) whether Kuzy will again play like a top 10 player in the world for a fleeting moment, (4) whether Vasy will again, uncharacteristically, hand the Caps a game or two, (5) whether Kucherov will perform another disappearing act, and (6) whether Tampa's young roster, which has shown significant signs of growth in only a mere few months, will have a materially different impact on the dynamics of the series, including whether it will be able to better cope with the Caps' rare combination of speed and physicality (the Bolts, for instance, are a bit more dynamic this year with the addition of Joseph and Cernak, and the incremental growth of Cirelli, Erne, Point and others).

The Eastern Conference's road to the Stanley Cup runs through these two teams. I cannot wait to watch another epic battle - my apologies TML fans, it is not yet your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intact

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Voted Tampa

50/50 tho. I really like both teams and if both play well it would be a titanic battle.

This is probably where I'm at too. The Lightning are stacked with talent and probably even better than last year, and the Capitals now know how to get it done in the playoffs, and it's not like they don't have any good players either.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Slight edge to Washington.

The Bolts mat be a better team overall by a little, but the Caps have matched up very well with them for the past several years.

It's the same reason why I'd never bet on the Caps over the Sharks in a series.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I mean we all pick Tampa to win every year since 2015, they should win this but they never do. This has to be their year right??

member 157595

Tampa's better on paper but the list of better-on-paper teams that have lost in the playoffs couldn't fit in the Library of Congress.

It would be a terrific series.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Tampa is better on paper and Stamkos and McDonagh's improved play is a big edge over last year's team, plus more experience for Point, Vasi and Sergachev. Tampa has a clear edge over anyone imo, but in a 7 game series anything can happen and the Caps have played Tampa well.

Also I have to laugh at KoozNets calling Washington more talented. Never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00