Who would win a 7 game playoff series Leafs or Oilers?

Oilers vs Leafs

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You have no absolutely NO CLUE how these individuals coach. Its a ridiculous comment.
I think it's a fair comment to say that the Oilers have a coaching advantage by having Tippett compared to Keefe. One is a proven and highly respected coach and one is a rookie with a very limited track record. Nothing ridiculous about that at all. It doesn't mean that Keefe can't prove he is a good coach but he certainly still needs to do that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it's a fair comment to say that the Oilers have a coaching advantage by having Tippett compared to Keefe. One is a proven and highly respected coach and one is a rookie with a very limited track record. Nothing ridiculous about that at all. It doesn't mean that Keefe can't prove he is a good coach but he certainly still needs to do that.

Keefe has the best winning percentage outside the NHL of any coach just about ever. Unless you are in the room or directly involved with each team you dont know. Keefe has had several job opportunities he wanted to stay in Toronto he could have been coaching in the NHL a while ago. Its simply not quantifiable.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Keefe has the best winning percentage outside the NHL of any coach just about ever. Unless you are in the room or directly involved with each team you dont know. Keefe has had several job opportunities he wanted to stay in Toronto he could have been coaching in the NHL a while ago. Its simply not quantifiable.
Dallas Eakins and Willie Desjardins also had great records outside the NHL just off the top of my head. Coaching in the pros is a completely different thing. And obviously the Marlies have advantages over many other non professional teams so that's hard to quantify and compare records. Just look at all of the highly rated college football coaches that failed as well when they went pro. I'm saying it's entirely reasonable and logical to say that Edmonton has the coaching advantage here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dallas Eakins and Willie Desjardins also had great records outside the NHL just off the top of my head. Coaching in the pros is a completely different thing. And obviously the Marlies have advantages over many other non professional teams so that's hard to quantify and compare records. Just look at all of the highly rated college football coaches that failed as well when they went pro. I'm saying it's entirely reasonable and logical to say that Edmonton has the coaching advantage here.

Keefe has a way better track record that goes back to Pembroke not just in the AHL. Everywhere he goes he wins, very different situations. But thats not my argument. Tippett has an ok track record in the NHL, were not talking about a Bowman, Quenneville etc. From a fans perspective you dont really know this to be a fact who is a better coach than who. Compare rosters etc but you cant quantify something you dont know about.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Keefe has a way better track record that goes back to Pembroke not just in the AHL. Everywhere he goes he wins, very different situations. But thats not my argument. Tippett has an ok track record in the NHL, were not talking about a Bowman, Quenneville etc. From a fans perspective you dont really know this to be a fact. Compare rosters etc but you cant quantify something you dont know about.

We’re arguing in circles here.
Tippett has a proven track record of taking teams without a ton of talent and a limited payroll and getting good results. He's never had a team like Quenville or Bowman's so that's an irrelevant argument. Keefe has not proved himself at the NHL level. Full stop. I’ve already provided examples of successful minor league coaches flopping once they turn pro. Until he proves himself as an NHL coach it's perfectly reasonable to say Edmonton has a coaching advantage.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Tippett has a proven track record of taking teams without a ton of talent and a limited payroll and getting good results. He's never had a team like Quenville or Bowman's so that's an irrelevant argument. Keefe has not proved himself at the NHL level. Full stop. I’ve already provided examples of successful minor league coaches flopping once they turn pro. Until he proves himself as an NHL coach it's perfectly reasonable to say Edmonton has a coaching advantage.
Keefe

upload_2020-4-23_12-10-52.png

Tippet

upload_2020-4-23_12-11-55.png

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Agree to dissagree then. Can use examples of great NHL coachs also losing their luster like Mike Keenan I just dont think its a quantifiable measure from a fans perspective.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Agree to dissagree then. Can use examples of great NHL coachs also losing their luster like Mike Keenan I just dont think its a quantifiable measure from a fans perspective.

Your argument is so badly flawed.

Basically, you can’t compare coaches at all then. It’s insulting to just throw out any opinion as “you don’t know what goes on in the room”. Then what’s the point of following a sport?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Basically, you can’t compare coaches at all then. It’s insulting to just throw out any opinion as “you don’t know what goes on in the room”. Then what’s the point of following a sport?
Agreed. To take an extreme. Would you take Scotty Bowman over Keefe.?
Teams assess and value coaches all of the time when they sign them to contracts. It’s not a precise science but guys like Quenville and Trotz are clearly highly valued around the league. I think even most Leaf fans would take them over an unproven NHL coach. Dallas Eakins and Willie Desjardins were two highly regarded but unproven NHL coaches. Success in the minor leagues doesn’t always result in NHL success.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks. I’m

Thanks. I’m not going to assess a rookie coach on that small a sample size. And Tippett has not had the talent that Keefe has.
Advantage Edmonton imo.
I agree Tippet has the experience/edge at the NHL level. Would I call it a massive advantage? Not really. Oil have played great for Tippet. Leafs have played great for Keefe. I think both fanbases like 'their guy'. I'd personally give Tippet coach of the year as getting Edmonton into the playoffs is heroic... I don't think many were predicting us making the playoffs in October. Tipper is a big part of that. Big fan.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree Tippet has the experience/edge at the NHL level. Would I call it a massive advantage? Not really. Oil have played great for Tippet. Leafs have played great for Keefe. I think both fanbases like 'their guy'. I'd personally give Tippet coach of the year as getting Edmonton into the playoffs is heroic... I don't think many were predicting us making the playoffs in October. Tipper is a big part of that. Big fan.
Good post.
My main point was responding to a post that said it was ridiculous to say Edmonton had a coaching advantage. I don’t really take issue with anyone who disagrees but I’d give the edge to Tippett myself and I think it’s an entirely reasonable position.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good post.
My main point was responding to a post that said it was ridiculous to say Edmonton had a coaching advantage. I don’t really take issue with anyone who disagrees but I’d give the edge to Tippett myself and I think it’s an entirely reasonable position.
An example of ridiculous is all the Matthews is as good as Connor arguments.lol He'd be our 3rd best forward.

I still think it'd go 7. No idea who'd win.

FTR.. I don't think either team was good enough to make the Stanley Cup Finals and that is the only place they could've met. Leafs would have to go through a crazy stacked Eastern Conference. Oil still had holes all over their roster (I just can't picture Mikko or Mike holding a Stanley Cup over their heads after winning 16 games).

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Keefe has a way better track record that goes back to Pembroke not just in the AHL. Everywhere he goes he wins, very different situations. But thats not my argument. Tippett has an ok track record in the NHL, were not talking about a Bowman, Quenneville etc. From a fans perspective you dont really know this to be a fact who is a better coach than who. Compare rosters etc but you cant quantify something you dont know about.

Isn’t this pretty much the opposite of the argument we’ve had over leadership in the past, where I said you couldn’t quantify a gap in leadership between Stone/Panarin?

I actually think we can do more to quantify a coach’s impact although I agree with you that we don’t have nearly complete enough of a sample with Keefe at the NHL level to compare him to Tippett.

This is funny. A team that never even makes the playoffs, is a complete mess, not really any good at forward, d, goaltending, or anything, vs a team thats finished top 10 in the NHL every year for a few years now.

The leafs. Probably 4 games.

2016-2017: 13th
2017-2018: 7th
2018-2019: 7th
2019-2020: 13th

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

For the most part I agree, I dont think you can compare them unless one has a long track record of being bad or one that is considered one of the greatest ever.

Do you know? Is the real question. Or would you even be able to understand a good coach from an average one? I mean you'd have to have played the sport at a high enough level to know the difference and 99% of the people that post on here have barely played at all. Most people wouldnt understand things as simple as a hinge, what a real trap looks like, left wing lock, each players role in a power play break out. So no I dont think posters on HF have any real grasp on comparing coachs.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Isn’t this pretty much the opposite of the argument we’ve had over leadership in the past, where I said you couldn’t quantify a gap in leadership between Stone/Panarin?

I actually think we can do more to quantify a coach’s impact although I agree with you that we don’t have nearly complete enough of a sample with Keefe at the NHL level to compare him to Tippett.

2016-2017: 13th
2017-2018: 7th
2018-2019: 7th
2019-2020: 13th

Leafs math.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Who knows? Seriously. Leafs seem to match up well against them in the regular season but that means nothing in the playoffs. I think the Oilers have the best players but Leafs are much deeper. Oilers don't have a Dman as good as healthy Rielly IMO. Muzzin is pretty damn good too.

But you also never know. Yam was playing well. Would be close with lots of goals that is for sure, but why are so many getting worked up over this? Who cares who would win in a hypothetical situation.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
For the most part I agree, I dont think you can compare them unless one has a long track record of being bad or one that is considered one of the greatest ever.

Do you know? Is the real question. Or would you even be able to understand a good coach from an average one? I mean you'd have to have played the sport at a high enough level to know the difference and 99% of the people that post on here have barely played at all. Most people wouldnt understand things as simple as a hinge, what a real trap looks like, left wing lock, each players role in a power play break out. So no I dont think posters on HF have any real grasp on comparing coachs.

So, if you haven’t played hockey. You can NEVER learn what those are? Cmon man, get real.

It’s like telling me that the average football fan can’t tell what’s the difference between a 3-4 defence from a 4-3 defence. I’m pretty sure if people watch the game, formulate opinions on deployments and systems, they can understand it well enough.

You can’t tell me that Eakins Swarm Defense, which was a f***ing disaster, can only be assessed by people who played the game. That’s dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad