Who would we protect in an expansion draft?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
If there was an expansion draft (for LV, Quebec, Seattle, etc.), who would we protect?

Rules from the last expansion draft are essentially that you protect either:
1 goalie, 5 defencemen, 9 forwards
OR
2 goalies, 3 defencemen, 7 forwards

Players on ELCs are exempt.

I would say (choosing the first option), protect:

Hutchinson

Byfuglien
Enstrom
Myers
Chiarot
Postma [Trouba is exempt]

Ladd
Little
Wheeler
Perreault
Burmistrov
Stafford
Thorburn
Peluso
Halischuk

Unfortunately those last 3 seem to be all we have left. Essentially a potential draft wouldn't really hurt us at all, and we might be able to lose Pavelec :nod:

However, if this draft was in a couple years, Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry would have to be protected and this could get more interesting.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I am still bitter from the 1979 expansion draft....let's give Vegas Morris Lukowich and Scott Campbell

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am still bitter from the 1979 expansion draft....let's give Vegas Morris Lukowich and Scott Campbell

That wasn't so much an expansion draft but rather a league sanctioned pillage of some 1/2 decent WHA teams.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If there was an expansion draft (for LV, Quebec, Seattle, etc.), who would we protect?

OR

Hutchinson

Byfuglien
Enstrom
Myers
Chiarot

Ladd
Little
Wheeler
Perreault
Burmistrov
Stafford
Thorburn
Peluso
Halischuk

Unfortunately those last 3 seem to be all we have left. Essentially a potential draft wouldn't really hurt us at all, and we might be able to lose Pavelec :nod:

However, if this draft was in a couple years, Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry would have to be protected and this could get more interesting.

Assuming the draft is likely in 2 years, Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry will all need to be protected, as will Helly who I'm guessing is our #1 goalie by then. Luckily the wave of prospects entering the pro ranks this season (likely including Ehlers) will all still be on their ELC's. Should be no problem losing a couple guys at the bottom of the roster or maybe a contract you wouldn't mind shedding. Teams don't usually lose much to expansion drafts.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

OR

Hutchinson

Byfuglien
Enstrom
Myers
Chiarot

Ladd
Little
Wheeler
Perreault
Burmistrov
Stafford
Thorburn
Peluso
Halischuk

Lets assess what happens in two years. Who else will no longer be protected by an ELC in two years. What about Helle?, Copp?, Kosmachuk

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah so the new expansion rule will likely be completely different from those that came before. So this is an exercise in futility.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the expansion draft is for the 2017-2018 season the following player's ELC contracts will have terminated (probably some omissions)...

Scheifele
Lowry
Trouba
Hutchinson
Hellebuyck
Komaschuk
Copp
Lipon
Armia
Olsen
Telegin

So, I would protect the following;

Hellebuyck
Trouba
Myers
Buff
Enstom
Chiarot
Scheifele
Lowry
Wheeler
Ladd
Little
Copp
Armia

Here is where my last two might change...do we extend Little and Perrault? Stafford? If so, they take the next two spots.
If not, Burmi and one of Komaschuk, or Lipon.

I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If the expansion draft is for the 2017-2018 season the following player's ELC contracts will have terminated (probably some omissions)...

Scheifele
Lowry
Trouba
Hutchinson
Hellebuyck
Komaschuk
Copp
Lipon
Armia
Olsen
Telegin

Hellebuyck
Trouba
Myers
Buff
Enstom
Chiarot
Scheifele
Lowry
Wheeler
Ladd
Little
Copp
Armia

Here is where my last two might change...do we extend Little and Perrault? Stafford? If so, they take the next two spots.

Looks good. As long as the rules don`t change too drastically, and maybe we make a trade or two to get rid of vulnerable players, I do think we will be ok.

Then of course Bettman is liable to make some stupid little rule change such that everyone has to leave some prospects vulnerable too.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I've often wondered how no movement clauses would work in a draft. Of course, any union would welcome expansion, but they would have to also work on behalf of existing members, protecting their contractual interests.

This would have to be a pretty significant negotiation prior to expansion.

This wouldn't be a situation where the NHL board of governors simply gets to dictate the terms.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

OR

Correction... players with 2 or fewer seasons of pro hockey (NHL/AHL/ECHL/KHL/Euroleagues/whatever) are exempt. Let's use the 2000 expansion draft rules as a guideline. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft
  • Note that contracts expire July 1st, but drafts are generally held late June. Thus a pending UFA still meets the requirements as an exposed defenseman or forward. See below.
  • For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected.
  • At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the immediately previous season or 70 games in the two immediately previous seasons combined.
  • At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.
Assuming a draft in June 2016

Protect Hutchinson. Hellebucyk will have played 2 seasons and will be exempt.

On defense protect...
  • Byfuglien
  • Enstrom
  • Myers
  • Chiarot
  • Trouba (He will have played 3 seasons; will need to be protected)
Forwards...
  • Ladd
  • Little
  • Wheeler
  • Perreault
  • Burmistrov
  • Stafford
  • Scheifele (He will have played 3 seasons of pro; will need to be protected)
  • Armia (He will have played 3 seasons of pro; will need to be protected)
  • Lipon (He will have played 3 seasons of pro; will need to be protected)
Now let's see about meeting exposure requirements. Reference http://jets.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=2&season=20142015&srt=pos

1 Dman with 70 games in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 seasons combined...
  • Stuart played 70 games last season, so he already meets the quota.
  • As insurance, Pardy played in 55 games last season, so needs on 15 this season
  • Harrison played 35 games in a partial season last season, and can easily play 35 more this season
2 forwards with 70 games each in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 seasons combined...
  • Thorburn played 81 games last season, so he fills one slot
  • Peluso played 49 games last season; needs additional 21 games this season
  • Halischuk played 47 games last season; needs additional 23 games this season

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Correction... players with 2 or fewer seasons of pro hockey (NHL/AHL/ECHL/KHL/Euroleagues/whatever) are exempt. Let's use the 2000 expansion draft rules as a guideline. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft
  • Note that contracts expire July 1st, but drafts are generally held late June. Thus a pending UFA still meets the requirements as an exposed defenseman or forward. See below.
  • For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected.
  • At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the immediately previous season or 70 games in the two immediately previous seasons combined.
  • At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

On defense protect...
  • Byfuglien
  • Enstrom
  • Myers
  • Chiarot
Forwards...
  • Ladd
  • Little
  • Wheeler
  • Perreault
  • Burmistrov
  • Stafford
Now let's see about meeting exposure requirements. Reference http://jets.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=2&season=20142015&srt=pos

• As insurance, Pardy played in 55 games last season, so needs on 15 this season
  • Harrison played 35 games in a partial season last season, and can easily play 35 more this season
You wouldn't protect Lowry?

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal

Scheifele
Lowry
Trouba
Hutchinson
Hellebuyck
Komaschuk
Copp
Lipon
Armia
Olsen
Telegin

Hellebuyck
Trouba
Myers
Buff
Enstom
Chiarot
Scheifele
Lowry
Wheeler
Ladd
Little
Copp
Armia

Good. I look forward to seeing Perreault in a les nordiques jersey! And don't be fooled, Las Vegas is a ruse invented by Bettman to jack up the selling price.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I've often wondered how no movement clauses would work in a draft. Of course, any union would welcome expansion, but they would have to also work on behalf of existing members, protecting their contractual interests.

This would have to be a pretty significant negotiation prior to expansion.

This wouldn't be a situation where the NHL board of governors simply gets to dictate the terms.

Speaking of not dictating terms, if I'm the expansion team owner I think I'm asking for a lot of players to be made available. Especially if I'm ponying up $500M. Some of the expansion mock drafts I've seen look super-weak.

I'd probably ask for #1/2 overall in the draft (assuming two teams come in) while I'm at it. Hell, I'd probably ask for a bonus pick in the first round, too.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

On defense protect...
  • Byfuglien
  • Enstrom
  • Myers
  • Chiarot
Forwards...
  • Ladd
  • Little
  • Wheeler
  • Perreault
  • Burmistrov
  • Stafford

Doesn't look too bad. Probably need to protect Lowry & Copp as well; rather than Lipon & Armia, Jets may decide to go with Lipon (don't think he's protected anymore with guys like Lemieux in the wings) and for a 2nd body maybe Staff or Burmi depending on how this year goes - both will be impending UFAs.

On D, I'm leery that management would want to protect Stuart (they love the guy). That leaves Chiarot open unless they the Jets trade Buff before then.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Speaking of not dictating terms, if I'm the expansion team owner I think I'm asking for a lot of players to be made available. Especially if I'm ponying up $500M. Some of the expansion mock drafts I've seen look super-weak.

I'd probably ask for #1/2 overall in the draft (assuming two teams come in) while I'm at it. Hell, I'd probably ask for a bonus pick in the first round, too.

Except if you are willing to pony up $500 M to join the club you want in pretty bad. You aren't walking away if you get next to nothing in the expansion draft. The NHL is answering to the 30 owners in place not the 2 that want to join. I see them being offered an equal chance as the last place team in the draft lottery and then picks 4 & 5 if they don't get a lottery pick. They will get to spend to the cap and fill their boots in free agency and will likely be able to take on contracts of cap strapped teams.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Doesn't look too bad. Probably need to protect Lowry & Copp as well; rather than Lipon & Armia, Jets may decide to go with Lipon (don't think he's protected anymore with guys like Lemieux in the wings) and for a 2nd body maybe Staff or Burmi depending on how this year goes - both will be impending UFAs.

On D, I'm leery that management would want to protect Stuart (they love the guy). That leaves Chiarot open unless they the Jets trade Buff before then.

Burmi will be an RFA.

spades0faces

Jun 19, 2013
due to this note.. im going the two goalie 3 d 7 forward route, we have a surplus of outstanding goalie prospects, Helle, Comrie, Hutch.

'For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected'.

Goalie

Hellebuyck
Comrie

Defence

Trouba
Myers
Chirot (would replace with Morrisey if he is not safe)

(i do not envision Buff being part of the Jets in 2 years time)

Forward

Schiefle
Ladd
Little
Wheeler
Lowry
*Copp
*Armia

* = would replace with Ehlers & Petan if they are not safe.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
due to this note.. im going the two goalie 3 d 7 forward route, we have a surplus of outstanding goalie prospects, Helle, Comrie, Hutch.

'For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected'.

Goalie

Hellebuyck
Comrie

Defence

Trouba
Myers
Chirot (would replace with Morrisey if he is not safe)

(i do not envision Buff being part of the Jets in 2 years time)

Forward

Schiefle
Ladd
Little
Wheeler
Lowry
*Copp
*Armia

* = would replace with Ehlers & Petan if they are not safe.

You would rather protect Comrie than Enstrom, Buff (or another D), Perrault, etc...?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He'll be playing this season in the AHL and will probably be the number one goalie the year after so if he is not ready, he will be close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad