Speculation: Who Would The AVS Lose In Expansion Draft?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I thought it was 50% now?

Anyways I would protect
F: O'Reilly, Duchene, Iginla, Landeskog, Tanguay, McGinn, Talbot, McLeod, Mitchell
D: Johnson, Barrie, Holden, Stuart, Hejda
G: Varlamov

I also thought it was 50% now? I thought that was what the last lockout was about, lol.

But yeah, if it were to happen next summer, it gets hard to say for the Avs because there are so many non-core players that are UFA's anyways.

I could see a world in which none of Hejda, Stuart, Wilson, Briere, or McLeod are on the roster next season, which means the Avs will be signing/trading for additional players, which means they would value those new players more than existing players....and can you simply expose upcoming UFAs via expansion drafts? If that is the case there is no major losses for the Avs unless they choose to expose someone they want to get rid of.

No personal disrespect to Tanguay next summer or Iggy the following, either one could be allowed to be claimed to save money/cap space if needed. Same goes for Berra if he does not do well.

But that would be the only real controversy for the Avs. They would be able to protect every player that a majority of fans care about and/or that are valuable to the team, at least under the old rules.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No personal disrespect to Tanguay next summer or Iggy the following, either one could be allowed to be claimed to save money/cap space if needed.

Expansion teams wouldn't go after older players that signed their (potentially) last contracts as UFA's. If they are cheap that means that the player wanted to be on that particular team (ie: not expansion) and if they aren't cheap that means that they can have similar players for similar money directly through unrestricted free agency. Expansion teams would go after young players and the best "roster fillers" available, not expensive older stars.

Same goes for Berra if he does not do well.

Considering that there would be 25+ other backup goalies available, Berra wouldn't be in any danger.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Also, good backup goalies the year before the expansion would go dirt cheap. No team will want to give anything to get a decent one knowing that they will have to sacrifice 2 forwards and 2 dmen if they want to protect him.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Reto Berra; not worth protecting but good enough to start for a team which will finish in last place.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Backup goalies are gold in expansion drafts. In the last one, the first 6 picks were all goalies and that was only between 2 teams. Interestingly enough, it was a Colorado backup going first overall (Rick Tabaracci).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Backup goalies are gold in expansion drafts. In the last one, the first 6 picks were all goalies and that was only between 2 teams. Interestingly enough, it was a Colorado backup going first overall (Rick Tabaracci).

I believe that Tabaracci was brought in solely to get selected in the expansion draft by Columbus and there was a handshake agreement for him to be selected alongside the Denis trade.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Let's just say I've never understood the expansion draft at all, or how anyone expects the teams to be relevant in the league for at least a decade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Let's just say I've never understood the expansion draft at all, or how anyone expects the teams to be relevant in the league for at least a decade.

The younger free agency should help this time around, but I agree with your overall point.

IMO they should give an expansion team a few draft picks before they actually start. Maybe 2 years before give them the 15th pick in the 4th/5th/6th/7th rounds. Then a year before they start the 15th pick in the 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th. Then finally the year they start they get the ~5th pick in each round. To go along with that, let them have an AHL affiliate a year early so some of those prospects could get a year under their belt before entering the NHL. That would really help the expansion teams build some depth before entering the NHL.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
The younger free agency should help this time around, but I agree with your overall point.

IMO they should give an expansion team a few draft picks before they actually start. Maybe 2 years before give them the 15th pick in the 4th/5th/6th/7th rounds. Then a year before they start the 15th pick in the 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th. Then finally the year they start they get the ~5th pick in each round. To go along with that, let them have an AHL affiliate a year early so some of those prospects could get a year under their belt before entering the NHL. That would really help the expansion teams build some depth before entering the NHL.

That would help. I also think, although I sure the rest of the NHL should object, that they should have the chance to at least bring in a star player. Say each expansion team gets to submit a list of 5 players on a wishlist, with the only restrictions being they can't have been a top 3 finalist for the Hart, Calder, Viezna, Norris, Rocket or Ross the previous 2 years, and the NHL randomly chooses one of those players for each expansion team. That way, the teams can actually get a legitimate player they want, rather than fighting over the David Jones and Chris Kellys of the NHL.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The expansion teams should get what they get.
If they suck, they finish at/near the bottom, and get some top picks.
Between that and free agency, its shouldn't take 10 years to be relevant.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

As long as the expansion team is in a desirable location/market and the owner has dough. That of course is in the NHL's hands entirely. First and foremost stay out of Vegas.

Although... A Vegas expansion could rely on the core of Bryzgalov-O'Brien-Jones. #1 goalie, #1 defenseman and a stud power forward captain. It's a Stanley Cup winner's core.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
As long as the expansion team is in a desirable location/market and the owner has dough. That of course is in the NHL's hands entirely. First and foremost stay out of Vegas.

Although... A Vegas expansion could rely on the core of Bryzgalov-O'Brien-Jones.

No way, Kane will lead that team fo sha.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Look at how long it has taken Columbus to finally become relevant. Hell, Nashville still can't do it. It's almost impossible to build an expansion team that actually does well, especially when you can't start out with a top pick, can't start out with any good players, and can't start out with any credibility.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Usually for an expension team to have real success , you have to wait for all the players, of the original year , to be gone . That's how long it takes for an expension team to build something . They usually start winning at the next cycle , 10 years is about right , sometime

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Look at how long it has taken Columbus to finally become relevant. Hell, Nashville still can't do it. It's almost impossible to build an expansion team that actually does well, especially when you can't start out with a top pick, can't start out with any good players, and can't start out with any credibility.

Columbus' long term issues lay squarely on the owners for keeping Doug MacLean and Scott Howson around. If John Davidson was named President back when Columbus was awarded a team they would not have been such a terrible franchise.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Columbus' long term issues lay squarely on the owners for keeping Doug MacLean and Scott Howson around. If John Davidson was named President back when Columbus was awarded a team they would not have been such a terrible franchise.

ex-tex have a point , it takes time for a franchise to start winning ... and that's taking for granted that your GM/Scouts will make ALL the right moves . If on top of having an expension team if your guys starts acting like looney toons , it's gonna be a long ride

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Nashville has made playoff appearances a number of times, haven't they?

It's their reluctance to get great forwards that's holding them back -- they've traditionally produced very good defense and good goal tending.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

players that davidson/kekäläinen have acquired to current columbus roster:

hartnell
horton
mcelhinney

tropp, gibbons and hjalmarsson if they make it..

JK will probably be improvement in many areas but most of the results that we see so far, have come from players that howson brought. i think JK is better leader and demands more from anyone but that doesn't explain enough.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Avs would probably trade a 2nd to the expansion team in exchange for not taking Berra.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad