Who would have thunk it....the Florida Panthers now have a waiting list for season tickets!

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I will say the one nice thing when Florida was meh was club/up front tickets were dirt cheap.
Remember in the mid 2010's getting 2 row 1 club seats for a little over 50 bucks.

That being said, I' gladly pay more for a team that has proper ownership/competent GM/coach and roster.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
To be fair I'm Canadian and while you're most likely right that there's a lot of snowbirds coming from the northern states, there's a LOT of Canadians who head to Florida in the winters. Other than Vancouver I see a lot of snowbirds from Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Winnipeg in Florida/Tampa area.
Thats true, I know a bunch of people that winter in the Lakeland area.
I'm hoping to go down next year and go to sick week but do sick ward!!!

• Love
Reactions: Boud

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I will say the one nice thing when Florida was meh was club/up front tickets were dirt cheap.
Remember in the mid 2010's getting 2 row 1 club seats for a little over 50 bucks.

That being said, I' gladly pay more for a team that has proper ownership/competent GM/coach and roster.
Is it still crazy down there for tradesmen?
A buddy who does framing and drywall was telling me 5-6 years ago it was 1 job for every 3 tradesmen and now its a case where most guys have more work than they can do.

Reactions: Mase and ShootIt

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
With the way the economy is going and the way these teams are (mostly) out of the playoffs, it's only normal that someone will decide to spend their hard earned money elsewhere. If I'm in Florida and the team is playing horrible, would I rather spend 30$ on a BBQ at home with friends and family with the game in the background or would I rather shed 100$++ on tickets, food, beers, parking and etc.
Should we assume you're only serving hot dogs & water at this BBQ?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Is it still crazy down there for tradesmen?
A buddy who does framing and drywall was telling me 5-6 years ago it was 1 job for every 3 tradesmen and now its a case where most guys have more work than they can do.

I'm in land development. Civil engineering/planning etc.
It is booming all over Florida. Residential, general commercial and industrial. It's just nuts.
Definitely a location where I know some contractors are booked out for years and aren't taking any new jobs unless it's a repeat good client.
Even with rates and prices being high, there's no sign of slowing down.
Florida is on the path of being the next California where it's going to be hard to actually own a house for first time buyers without being house poor.
Long time locals are getting screwed on buying/renting.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Should we assume you're only serving hot dogs & water at this BBQ?

You can get a 40 or a 24 at Safeway for 15-25$.

If you invite people over they bring food too and their drinks.

It really doesn't cost much more than 30-40$ each person to have a potluck get together with drinks. Even if you want tomahawks it comes in cheaper than going to a game and grabbing drinks and food and spending on gas, parking, etc.

Bottom line.... It's much cheaper to stay home and consume food you already purchased and drinks you already have in your fridge than going to a game.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
It is booming all over Florida. Residential, general commercial and industrial. It's just nuts.
Definitely a location where I know some contractors are booked out for years and aren't taking any new jobs unless it's a repeat good client.
Florida is on the path of being the next California where it's going to be hard to actually own a house for first time buyers without being house poor.
I figured as much, I follow Cleetus on youtube and he just sold his house because the property value got soo high. Also when he bought it, it was isolated and now its all new houses being built. So he took a crazy good offer and is going to a more remote area where the property is still cheap.
Be cool if they put something in place where long time locals can profit from the boom as well.
I saw all over twitter last cpl weeks that the American economy is up all across the country but when you take Florida and Texas out its not doing so well.

Reactions: DaveG and ShootIt
Dec 15, 2002
what if I told you outside of NYR, Montreal, Toronto, and maybe Boston this applies to literally every fanbase?
It applies to Boston, too. Saw it first-hand, 2005-07. Bruins fans were tepid with attendance. Last game of 2007, I think it was a technical sellout but attendance might have been 13,000 and it thinned out quickly. Other games that season may have been technical sellouts, there were more than a few fans dressed as empty seats that 06-07 season.

The fact that Florida continues to explode with development, especially along the coasts, especially in hurricane-prone areas, continues to blow my mind. Never mind that regulations in the state insurance market are causing homeowners insurance rates to soar in those areas, to the point there are people who are going naked on coverage. Not "partially covered," completely without. Short of a $200B major hurricane that shuts down the homeowners insurance market in Florida and ripples across the rest of the insurance market there, I don't know what slows construction down in the state, but I do know it makes hurricanes much more expensive, which makes insurers even more reluctant to get into the market there, and I'd think at some point the lack of property insurance would put the brakes on further development.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
What a difference can one single 2nd overall pick do for a franchise.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
It applies to Boston, too. Saw it first-hand, 2005-07. Bruins fans were tepid with attendance. Last game of 2007, I think it was a technical sellout but attendance might have been 13,000 and it thinned out quickly. Other games that season may have been technical sellouts, there were more than a few fans dressed as empty seats that 06-07 season.

The fact that Florida continues to explode with development, especially along the coasts, especially in hurricane-prone areas, continues to blow my mind. Never mind that regulations in the state insurance market are causing homeowners insurance rates to soar in those areas, to the point there are people who are going naked on coverage. Not "partially covered," completely without. Short of a $200B major hurricane that shuts down the homeowners insurance market in Florida and ripples across the rest of the insurance market there, I don't know what slows construction down in the state, but I do know it makes hurricanes much more expensive, which makes insurers even more reluctant to get into the market there, and I'd think at some point the lack of property insurance would put the brakes on further development.
Thats a good point, I never thought of how more houses equals higher damage costs.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Great news for metro Miami. It serves to illustrate the fallacy that hockey "doesn't work" in major southern markets. The Panthers have been managed well, and not spent the past decade alienating its potential fans (not that I'd know anything about that).

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Great to see. The "non-traditional hockey markets", Carolina, Tampa, Dallas, and Nashville, all doing well too.
I would love it if they spent more money on grass roots hockey in those areas.
For instance if a team does go back to Atlanta, IMO they need to start ASAP, developing foundations for new demo's to get into hockey.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

I personally miss all the extra elbow room :naughty:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Great news for metro Miami. It serves to illustrate the fallacy that hockey "doesn't work" in major southern markets. The Panthers have been managed well, and not spent the past decade alienating its potential fans (not that I'd know anything about that).
The arena isn’t in Miami. It’s 45 minutes to na hour depending on where in Miami you are. Could be longer since Miami is an hour away from Miami. You have to pay me to go down there. (Getting paid next weekend at the boat show, actually. Lol)

Reactions: Tom Polakis

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The arena isn’t in Miami. It’s 45 minutes to na hour depending on where in Miami you are. Could be longer since Miami is an hour away from Miami. You have to pay me to go down there. (Getting paid next weekend at the boat show, actually. Lol)
Lollol “Miami is an hour away from Miami.” How true.

Marlins opening day this past season we were rolling past Dolphins stadium an hour before first pitch....got into our seats @ the bottom of the fifth inning o_O
Glad the Panthers aren’t down there.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Lollol “Miami is an hour away from Miami.” How true.

Marlins opening day this past season we were rolling past Dolphins stadium an hour before first pitch....got into our seats @ the bottom of the fifth inning o_O
Glad the Panthers aren’t down there.
Is it traffic or is it just really spread out?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
sweet!!!!, had a feeling the boom in the Florida economy would reach the NHL teams

What boom? Other than people who made their wealth up north coming down and pricing most people out :rolleyes:

The arena location is bad, traffic is brutal basically from Palm Beach to Miami even in off peak hours. Though winning cures everything. Miami is not a great fan base though, especially in the other sports

Reactions: Lilou

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
It was traffic. Marlins Park is at site of the old Orange Bowl in Miami, Hard Rock (Dolphins) Stadium is a little north of the city. Not terribly far apart.
I have never been to Florida but next year I am really hoping to go down for sick week.
Be cool to catch a game while I'm down

Reactions: Ratsreign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad