Who would be down for a FULL organizational blow up

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I mean everything top to bottom. Fire Nonis and all his assistants. Fire the entire scouting and development staff. Firing all the coaching staff. Blowing up the entire roster including getting rid of all the big contracts.

Hire a Scotty Bowman like mind to hire everyone top to bottom. Obviously we could keep whoever is worth keeping (not much: maybe that scout in Sweden, Moriles, JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Bernier/Riemer)

This would mean our organization wouldn't win in the near future, but in the long term it would be great. Maybe 5 years of rebuilding. Real rebuliding, not giving up our first rounders and making bad picks rebuilding. IMO, if Burke chose to rebuild properly and hired a half decent staff we wouldn't be in the "no mans land" situation we are in right now.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We likely lose badly for 5 years and then possibly come out as a stud team team, equally likely have a team of young players who are not franchise players, or most likely end up about where we are right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think you can do a full on blow up. What would be best is if you brought in a Scotty Bowman to come in and assess what works and what doesn't from all levels.

The first step is figuring out what kind of standards you hold an aspiring championship team to, and figuring if guys are delivering.

The management team seems really bloated and they have a "smarter than you" attitude. They say all the right things but they don't seem to make the shrewdest decisions.

The scouting is atrocious, I think Morrison needs to go. Morrison seems to come up with nothing but grinders, bottom six defensemen and long shot skill guys whose careers get stalled in the AHL.

The developmental system is atrocious. They build a veteran led team at Ricoh but how many of the kids have really flourished there or exceeded expectations?

Then there's the big team itself. There's a lot of pieces I don't want to see here in the long run but the biggest mistake is telling the world you're putting the dynamite to your team. It's the difference between a team getting good assets back for good veteran pieces vs what Cliff Fletcher did with Bryan McCabe.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This would only happen in NHL 14.

Until I see Phaneuf with a proper partner, Our 2nd and 3rd pairings playing consistent defense, and a couple more two-way forwards in the top 9(centre, winger) only then will I say this team needs to be teared down.

It's annoying when people talk as if our stars are not capable of anything when we really don't have the right players to play with them.

Grabo, MacArthur and Komarov, all solid at possession and up-tempo hockey, were replaced by Bolland(Upgrade over Grabo, but injured), Clarkson(really bad contract so far, brings about half of what Komarov did physically) and Raymond(soft on the boards, not as good at possession.

So ultimately, although it looked like we upgraded our forwards on paper, I think we actually replaced them, minus bolland, with players LESS suited for Carlyle.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
The management team seems really bloated and they have a "smarter than you" attitude. They say all the right things but they don't seem to make the shrewdest decisions.

The scouting is atrocious, I think Morrison needs to go. Morrison seems to come up with nothing but grinders, bottom six defensemen and long shot skill guys whose careers get stalled in the AHL.

The developmental system is atrocious. They build a veteran led team at Ricoh but how many of the kids have really flourished there or exceeded expectations?

Agreed with this to an extent, I think we've had some solid years with late draft picks(2006-2007 frattin, gunnar, reimer, komarov etc.) but definitely after that it's been garbage outside top 10 picks in the first round(kadri, Schenn)

the Biggs pick is looking bad, compared to getting a late first and mid-2nd.

I odnt mind giving up 2nds in a good trade(bernier and Bolland are worth those 2nds) but we really need to stop going for grunts and bottom 6er's in hopes they all become a lucic.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
woah....leaf nation seeks to amaze me.

i would say yes to the raptors and it doesn't look like mlse has any intention on doing that so i will say no, there is 0 chance it happens and i dont think id want it to happen... we finally have a winning team on the ice and a playoff team no reason to blow it up now just because some people dont think these players can win... grass isn't always greener.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
We likely lose badly for 5 years and then possibly come out as a stud team team, equally likely have a team of young players who are not franchise players, or most likely end up about where we are right now.

We could basically end up like Edmonton, I'm not even a fan of the 3 firsts they have on their team.

Hall is a great player, RNH has solid potential but is fairly soft, and Yakupov is really a one-dimensional winger so far, should've picked galchenyuk.

but had they tanked in different years they could've had an ovechkin/malkin, Jonathan Toews, Stamkos etc.

the NHL draft is not nearly as surefire as say the NBA draft, one star wont massively improve the team, if you tank you better hope you get the proper pieces like Pittsburgh did.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
This would only happen in NHL 14.

Until I see Phaneuf with a proper partner, Our 2nd and 3rd pairings playing consistent defense, and a couple more two-way forwards in the top 9(centre, winger) only then will I say this team needs to be teared down.

It's annoying when people talk as if our stars are not capable of anything when we really don't have the right players to play with them.

Grabo, MacArthur and Komarov, all solid at possession and up-tempo hockey, were replaced by Bolland(Upgrade over Grabo, but injured), Clarkson(really bad contract so far, brings about half of what Komarov did physically) and Raymond(soft on the boards, not as good at possession.

So ultimately, although it looked like we upgraded our forwards on paper, I think we actually replaced them, minus bolland, with players LESS suited for Carlyle.

Raymond was signed off a tryout because he looked amazing playing with Bolland. Even as is he's still a valuable addition at $1M, that's less than guys like Fraser or Orr and I'd take Raymond over either one in a heartbeat's heartbeat.

Clarkson is having a bad season, and worst case scenario could wind up like Komisarek. Guy plays a game suited to Carlyle and can be much more productive, but some guys get crushed under the weight of expectation, and so far Clarkson has looked like that's what his problem is.

That said, I loved Komarov, think he is worth retaining and with the cap going up I would say he's worth paying $2M or even a scant higher just for his hits and instigator actions.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand how secondary players like Raymond and Clarkson are being blamed when the superstars aren't very good.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we miss the playoffs, I would be alright with Nonis and Carlyle being gone.

Would be interesting to see what Leiweke would do.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Raymond was signed off a tryout because he looked amazing playing with Bolland. Even as is he's still a valuable addition at $1M, that's less than guys like Fraser or Orr and I'd take Raymond over either one in a heartbeat's heartbeat.

Clarkson is having a bad season, and worst case scenario could wind up like Komisarek. Guy plays a game suited to Carlyle and can be much more productive, but some guys get crushed under the weight of expectation, and so far Clarkson has looked like that's what his problem is.

That said, I loved Komarov, think he is worth retaining and with the cap going up I would say he's worth paying $2M or even a scant higher just for his hits and instigator actions.

Raymond is honestly just a slightly lesser macarthur, his contract is great for what he brings, but he doesn't bring much. He'll be gone in the off-season and hopefully replaced with a better two-way forward.

I would personally like to pick up a solid two-way winger like David perron, Chris Stewart etc. If not then definitely a two-way centre.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I don't understand how secondary players like Raymond and Clarkson are being blamed when the superstars aren't very good.

because the superstars play only 20-23 minutes a game.

The other 40 minutes we suck.

Case in point, Phaneuf being very low in es goals against, the rest of the d-pairings being crap.

This is the NHL not the NBA, your partner has to help you, your linemates have to be good, Kessel and Phaneuf cant carry a team, just like Sundin didn't carry his team(He had lots of good players to play with, obviously he's a better star than kessel tho)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We could basically end up like Edmonton, I'm not even a fan of the 3 firsts they have on their team.

Hall is a great player, RNH has solid potential but is fairly soft, and Yakupov is really a one-dimensional winger so far, should've picked galchenyuk.

but had they tanked in different years they could've had an ovechkin/malkin, Jonathan Toews, Stamkos etc.

the NHL draft is not nearly as surefire as say the NBA draft, one star wont massively improve the team, if you tank you better hope you get the proper pieces like Pittsburgh did.

Which is exactly my point. The people who say just blow it up have no understanding about how to build a team.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Raymond is honestly just a slightly lesser macarthur, his contract is great for what he brings, but he doesn't bring much. He'll be gone in the off-season and hopefully replaced with a better two-way forward.

I would personally like to pick up a solid two-way winger like David perron, Chris Stewart etc. If not then definitely a two-way centre.

He's only getting paid a million. We can't really complain what Raymond has brought to this team so far this year.

Bluejaysfan*

Keep Rielly, JVR and Bernier. Everyone else can be had for the right price.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't think you can do a full on blow up. What would be best is if you brought in a Scotty Bowman to come in and assess what works and what doesn't from all levels.

The first step is figuring out what kind of standards you hold an aspiring championship team to, and figuring if guys are delivering.

Then there's the big team itself. There's a lot of pieces I don't want to see here in the long run but the biggest mistake is telling the world you're putting the dynamite to your team. It's the difference between a team getting good assets back for good veteran pieces vs what Cliff Fletcher did with Bryan McCabe.

I'm not sure what exactly people want of Morrison. If it's to churn out a Jamie Benn every year, Then you should adjust your expectations. Considering the picks they've had(save for 2011) they've done their job and found NHLers.

On the topic of the Marlies: The team was mainly powered by Kadri, Frattin, Colborne and Gardiner. Zigomanis and Hamilton were only key vets, And every AHL club should have players like them on their team.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
He's only getting paid a million. We can't really complain what Raymond has brought to this team so far this year.

he's fine for now, but for the long-term improvement of the team his minutes need to go to a more two-way winger(however we can get one)

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure what exactly people want of Morrison. If it's to churn out a Jamie Benn every year, Then you should adjust your expectations. Considering the picks they've had(save for 2011) they've done their job and found NHLers.

Less atrocious 2nd round picks would be nice for starters (when we have one anyway). Kulemin and Finn are really the only two that have have met expectations in any way whatsoever. Look at the current cup contenders, they're all dynamite at picking in the 2nd round. This lets them go for the top rentals with their 1sts but still maintain very solid depth.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
woah....leaf nation seeks to amaze me.

i would say yes to the raptors and it doesn't look like mlse has any intention on doing that so i will say no, there is 0 chance it happens and i dont think id want it to happen... we finally have a winning team on the ice and a playoff team no reason to blow it up now just because some people dont think these players can win... grass isn't always greener.

Raptors did have a huge management change and its worked wonders for them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad