Who wins the Conn Smythe Trophy this year?

Who wins the Conn Smythe this year?

• Total voters

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I personally think win or lose Carey Price will win it if only because he will be considered as to why the Canadiens went from a sure-fire 1st round exit all the way to the Finals. That, and name recognition, etc.

Then again, if Tampa dominates this series, I can totally see one of Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, or Point winning it. I highly doubt any other player (from either team) has a shot barring a miraculous series.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Price isn't winning it if they lose.

There's too many candidates on TB. Vasi. Kucherov. Point.

It's not like 87 where no Oilers stood out. So they gave it to Hextall.

Or 03 where Giggy robbed Brodeur.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Price isn't winning it if they lose.

There's too many candidates on TB. Vasi. Kucherov. Point.

It's not like 87 where no Oilers stood out. So they gave it to Hextall.

Or 03 where Giggy robbed Brodeur.
I do believe if the series reaches at least 6-7 games, there's a solid chance Price wins it. I mean, you said it: TB has too many candidates: they're stacked as a team! Habs live and die with Price. Price will be seen as the guy who brought a team that had no business being in the playoffs reach the Stanley Cup Final.

If TB were to win in 4-5 games, then yeah: I don't see Price having a chance at all.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I do believe if the series reaches at least 6-7 games, there's a solid chance Price wins it. I mean, you said it: TB has too many candidates: they're stacked as a team! Habs live and die with Price. Price will be seen as the guy who brought a team that had no business being in the playoffs reach the Stanley Cup Final.

If TB were to win in 4-5 games, then yeah: I don't see Price having a chance at all.

Price would need three shutouts. Lose in a game 7.

Moot point imo because Montreal will win anyways.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think too much hinges on how the finals plays out and who steps up. Price isn't winning it if the Habs lose unless it goes 7 and it's an incredibly low-scoring series. And even then, Vasi also has incredible numbers and would probably deservedly win instead. If it's more open, Kucherov or Point would likely win depending on who has the better round. I think the only thing we can say with reasonable certainty barring injury/getting pulled, is that if Montreal wins, Price will win.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I dont think Price's play so far has the aura of the type of run where a losing player wins, like with Giguere. He'd have to have a ridiculous finals (multiple shutouts and 1-0 losses) to win it if Montreal loses.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If Montreal wins - either Price wins the smythe, or another Hab player is about to have the greatest final performance in NHL history. Because that's what it would take for Price not to win the smythe. If Caufield or Suzuki scores 10 goals in this final - I'm sure they'd be smythe worthy, but that's not going to happen... Tampa players also have no chance at winning the smythe if Habs wins (I mean, if each game is decided 8-7 and Kucherov scores a ton, maybe, but that's not going to happen either...)

If Tampa wins- Kucherov is absolutely in the lead right now. I'd say both Point and Vasi are close enough that with a very strong final performance, they could win above Kucherov. I think Carey Price is by far the most likely player on either side to win the smythe in a losing cause - I don't think it's very likely though. Tampa has too many tremendous performers so far - it would take an insane offensive domination in the finals with Price standing on his head (regardless of how many games) to give Price a chance - not impossible, but I don't think that happens.

I think Habs win - and so I voted Price.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If it goes 6 or 7 games and Price stands on his head then even if Tampa wins I think Price has a good shot as there will be some vote splitting between at least Point and Kuch and maybe even Vasi.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I think the media narrative with Price is too strong for him to not take it, win or lose. He'd have to have a spectacular collapse in the final otherwise imo, even if I don't think he's really had a smythe level performance.

Reactions: dalewood12

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Price wins if the Habs win the Cup.

If Tampa wins, Point wins if he ties/breaks Leach's/Kurri's goals record. Kucherov wins otherwise.
I think Kucherov is only slightly ahead right now, and the injury makes me think Point is likely to overtake him if TB wins. Or Vasy if it becomes a goaltending duel, which is likely.

If Kucherov were healthy, I think he would be the clear favorite as of now, because he would likely put in another strong series and maybe even take a run at a record or two.

Reactions: Hint1k and User9992

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Even if the Habs lose, I can see Point, Kuch and Vas splitting the vote and Price winning.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Unless Price gets hurt or too scored on, he'll win the trophy, Stanley Cup or not.

Not a clear winner on Tampa's side (three way race between Kucherov, Point and Vasilevski), while there's no challengers to Price on the Habs. He is, without the shadow of a doubt, the most valuable player on his team, and therefore, should win the award.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
If Montreal wins - either Price wins the smythe, or another Hab player is about to have the greatest final performance in NHL history. Because that's what it would take for Price not to win the smythe. If Caufield or Suzuki scores 10 goals in this final - I'm sure they'd be smythe worthy, but that's not going to happen... Tampa players also have no chance at winning the smythe if Habs wins (I mean, if each game is decided 8-7 and Kucherov scores a ton, maybe, but that's not going to happen either...)

If Tampa wins- Kucherov is absolutely in the lead right now. I'd say both Point and Vasi are close enough that with a very strong final performance, they could win above Kucherov. I think Carey Price is by far the most likely player on either side to win the smythe in a losing cause - I don't think it's very likely though. Tampa has too many tremendous performers so far - it would take an insane offensive domination in the finals with Price standing on his head (regardless of how many games) to give Price a chance - not impossible, but I don't think that happens.

I think Habs win - and so I voted Price.
Vasy has slightly better GAA and SP numbers than Price, plus 4 shut outs, 3 of which were in series clinching games. I think Vasy is the Tampa frontrunner.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I personally think win or lose Carey Price will win it if only because he will be considered as to why the Canadiens went from a sure-fire 1st round exit all the way to the Finals. That, and name recognition, etc.

Then again, if Tampa dominates this series, I can totally see one of Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, or Point winning it. I highly doubt any other player (from either team) has a shot barring a miraculous series.

I agree but only to a Point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Giguere won in 2003 because he played out of his mind but also because the Devils didnt have any strong candidates that stood out. Not the case this year with Tampa.

Even when Hextall won in 1987, Gretzky had 34 points but that was meager by his standards and he was only 6 points ahead of 2nd place Messier. So I think that was certainly a factor. As was his 5 goals - lets face it, voters love to see high goal totals and have the winner score a couple of key ones that are memorable. Voter fatigue that year could also be a thing - Gretzky had won every award possible since 1981.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I put Andrei but it could also be Kucherov.

There also is a chance that Price steals it because of split voting among multiple lightning players ala the 2003 Con Smythe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad