Speculation: Who wins the backup role?

Who wins the backup role?

• UPL

• Comrie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I have a feeling that Adams is going to shock people by going with Comrie, and I have nothing to base that on besides my observation that the team looks a bit more comfortable in front of him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Where's the option for "we start with 3 goalies in the NHL and do a nearly equal rotation until someone runs away with the job"
I think it will be lean more Levi just based on how they played him down the stretch last year. It'll be a Levi, Comrie, Levi, UPL rotation until the play forces their hand.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I think it will be lean more Levi just based on how they played him down the stretch last year. It'll be a Levi, Comrie, Levi, UPL rotation until the play forces their hand.
I mean that's fairly obvious that he's gonna get the bulk of the work

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Assuming Sabres start the season with 3 goalies on the roster, how many opportunities will UPL and Comrie even get to earn the backup spot or to show they can rebound from a bad game? There will be precious few games to share if Levi is competent enough to stick.

Otoh (without revisiting the who-was-available-at-what-cost debate) not acquiring a passably competent veteran could prove disastrous if Levi falters. Comrie is a fringe NHLer and we might be waiting in vain for UPL to blossom.

Can they at least tighten up the defensive zone play and improve the PK, please? It's not entirely on the goalies. Defense is a team effort.

I reluctantly voted Comrie.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Assuming Sabres start the season with 3 goalies on the roster, how many opportunities will UPL and Comrie even get to earn the backup spot or to show they can rebound from a bad game? There will be precious few games to share if Levi is competent enough to stick.

Otoh (without revisiting the who-was-available-at-what-cost debate) not acquiring a passably competent veteran could prove disastrous if Levi falters. Comrie is a fringe NHLer and we might be waiting in vain for UPL to blossom.

Can they at least tighten up the defensive zone play and improve the PK, please? It's not entirely on the goalies. Defense is a team effort.

I reluctantly voted Comrie.
How much Levi plays will depend how the team does, if they do great they can rest him more and the other 2 will get more games.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
How much Levi plays will depend how the team does, if they do great they can rest him more and the other 2 will get more games.
And if they're both crap, which would surprise absolutely nobody?

Levi will need to be Calder-level, and the backup(s) starts primarily against bottom-dwellers and opponents in the 2nd game of a back-to-back.

I'm an Adams supporter for the most part, but he's bet the season on filling an inside straight. Hope it works out.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
They're both terrible, we need someone else...I can't take another year of trash. What if Levi gets hurt?
Indeed.

And what if Levi just isn't ready for the grind of an NHL season? He's experienced nothing even approaching the work load and travel involved. And every goofball forward in the league getting in his face on a nightly basis, trying to get the prized rookie off of his game.

A lot of pressure weighing on those young shoulders.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This is after 1 preseason start for each... where each didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement of themselves...

But we have a whole season of UPL being the better goalie.

UPL isn't great but it's what we have... blame Kevyn.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
3rd choice hopefully.

Adams wakes up and goes "shit...they really aren't that good. Time to trade for a better goalie"

Reactions: kirby11

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Just went UPL cause he is younger & I am more attached to him cause he is been around longer.
But I am not comfortable with either.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't think either of UPL or Comrie play well enough to truly "win" the backup job and every time they're in, it's just a mix of "hope you're only mediocre instead of terrible" and "the offense better score at least 5."

Can't believe Adams decided rolling with an oft-injured backup/almost career AHLer and a young goalie with his own injury history and a rather large history of ineffectiveness to back up a super young starter was a good idea.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
3rd choice hopefully.

Adams wakes up and goes "shit...they really aren't that good. Time to trade for a better goalie"
As much as I would love to see it, it takes two to tango. And there are zero rumors of any decent goalies on the trade block right now.

I wonder if a waiver roll of the dice might get them an upgrade at this point.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I went with comrie but I'm having a hard time generating a strong opinion either way. I'm curious where you're leaning.
I personally think the UPL experiment should end. I like Comrie better...if only because the team seems to play better in front of him, and he's more consistent, even though he might not have as many highlight saves.

That said, the idea of my opinion on goaltending being worth anything is laughable, which is why I want to hear from others..

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I personally think the UPL experiment should end. I like Comrie better...if only because the team seems to play better in front of him, and he's more consistent, even though he might not have as many highlight saves.

That said, the idea of my opinion on goaltending being worth anything is laughable, which is why I want to hear from others..
Yeah that seems to be the theme in this thread. Nobody seems completely comfortable with either. I agree on Comrie. You kind of know what you're getting at least which may not be much but at least they know. @Jim Bob made a good point about plucking waiver wire. Wasn't Comrie battling injuries last year?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think this is why we're going to run 3 goalies for a bit. Don't want to overwork/overwhelm Levi......we know that at the very least Comrie is consistent.........but we also know that when UPL is on, he's very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad