Who will Wings sign from NCAA Free Agent pool?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Morrison signed with Calgary. They do have an exciting up-and coming team, I suppose, but I was still a little surprised to find out he signed there until I realized he's an Alberta boy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well these kids are free agents, so they don't have to adhere to a "patience is best" mind set, like the kids we draft. We essentially own the kids we draft, so they don't have much of a choice there. These guys have a choice. They can ask for a guaranteed spot just like Schultz did, and what kid wouldn't want to bypass the AHL and go right to the NHL out of college?

Instant gratification and more money are hard things to say no to. Especially in your early to mid 20's.

also, injuries aren't exactly uncommon. If you're given the opportunity to step right into the NHL and make big money NOW, and set yourself up just in case something happens like you blow your knees out or maybe your career is ended from a concussion, etc., I don't think it's selfish or short-sighted at all.

These guys aren't guaranteed 10 year careers regardless of whose system they go into.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
If we're continuing the "going home" trend, I'm guessing Mike Reilly is headed for the Wild. I don't know if there is anyone left that's worth signing, but that's mostly because of a lack of familiarity with the remaining names.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Big right winger, wouldnt hurt to add for free. Sounds like the type of player the wings are missing in the prospect pool a bit. Hopefully they can land him

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Baun attended our prospect camp last summer, so may have a chance.

His grandpa played for Toronto, and he's from there, so he could probably have him if they want him.

Don't know much about him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Not terribly surprised. the Hawks have kind of fading depth, so they have room for some young players. The Wings are sort of the opposite.

Looks like the Hawks agreed to burn the first year of his two-year contract, too. So he was certainly asking for a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad