Who will Wings sign from NCAA Free Agent pool?

Octopus

May 17, 2006
The Wings did well when they signed Danny DeKeyser a few years back. Jared Coreau looks promising although Colin Campbell has been quiet in his first year. Who will they sign this year. Mike Rielly, Kenney Morrisson are two good defensive prospects. Any thoughts on who else might be on the radar for the Wings.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I have no idea if the Wings are going to pursue him, but Mike Rielly would be an excellent pick up for us. He is currently Top 4 ready, and would be our 2nd best OFD by a fair margin (assuming Zids goes back to NJ). His rights are currently owned by CBJ, but it looks like he is set on becoming a free agent. He is the best college free agent since Wheeler. Rielly would make a prospect such as Sproul or Ouellet expendable as well.

No other college free agent out there is worth pursuing.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I suggested Kenney Morrison in another thread and was soundly rebuffed. It seems the general consensus is that there is too much of a logjam for us to sign a defenseman. I'm not sure I agree, but I understand the argument. Considering we're in the same boat with our forwards, we probably won't be signing anyone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have no issue bringing in a talented young d man who addresses a need, log jam or not.

My whole point, and still is, that I don't like our odds in an open competition. If Dekeyser wasn't born in Michigan, I highly doubt he would be wearing a Red Wings jersey at the moment. Most of these kids coming out of college are older and more developed, so they're are looking for an opportunity to play in the NHL right away. This directly conflicts with the perception of how Detroit operates, which in turn makes us a less appealing option.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would have no issue bringing in a talented young d man who addresses a need, log jam or not.

My whole point, and still is, that I don't like our odds in an open competition. If Dekeyser wasn't born in Michigan, I highly doubt he would be wearing a Red Wings jersey at the moment. Most of these kids coming out of college are older and more developed, so they're are looking for an opportunity to play in the NHL right away. This directly conflicts with the perception of how Detroit operates, which in turn makes us a less appealing option.

Opposite thinking could also mean that because we develop so many players, signing here is the BEST way to make sure you get a lasting career in the NHL. Almost all of our guys are lower end draft picks, which would be similar to being a FA college guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Opposite thinking could also mean that because we develop so many players, signing here is the BEST way to make sure you get a lasting career in the NHL. Almost all of our guys are lower end draft picks, which would be similar to being a FA college guy.

Do you expect 23 year old kids to think this way though? Realistically?

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
if they have a good agent and smart parents, yes

if they dont, no.

Look if someone tells these guys at ages 22-24

You can get an easy route to the next level AND more money (NHL vs AHL salary)

Or

I will pay you less and you will have to bide your time, but it will PROBABLY pay off in the long run

9/10 kids that age are taking option A.

I see pretty much the same thing at my work all the time.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

Like I said, I understand that argument. I guess my issue is the idea that we can't make room. From what I've heard, Rielly and Morrison are two guys that seem to have more upside than any of our young d-men not named Dekeyser. If you have to sacrifice a Jensen, or a Marchenko or what have you to land a guy like that, you do it.

We need to start taking as many swings at landing that potential #1D right now, even if it does mean being a little cutthroat. Unfortunately, this is probably a little too unrealistic with Kenny as our GM. I do hope he realizes that if this "retooling" is ever going to work, he's gonna have to be aggressive eventually.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Like I said, I understand that argument. I guess my issue is the idea that we can't make room. From what I've heard, Rielly and Morrison are two guys that seem to have more upside than any of our young d-men not named Dekeyser. If you have to sacrifice a Jensen, or a Marchenko or what have you to land a guy like that, you do it.

We need to start taking as many swings at landing that potential #1D right now, even if it does mean being a little cutthroat. Unfortunately, this is probably a little too unrealistic with Kenny as our GM. I do hope he realizes that if this "retooling" is ever going to work, he's gonna have to be aggressive eventually.

Totally agree there. And you're not "losing" anyone either, you're just swapping them out for a top flight college FA. Based on the scouting report of these guys, that'd be more than fine with me.

But I also disagree with the notion we have too much of a log jam to bring back Zidlicky, which is simlat. We have a lot of redundancy on the back end IMO, so I wouldn't mind clearing people out for guys that bring a different dimension.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Or

I will pay you less and you will have to bide your time, but it will PROBABLY pay off in the long run

i see your point

BUT....

most kids coming out of the NCAA hockey programs do not go on to long and lucrative NHL careers, very few so far have. If their goal is to make a quick million bucks then yah sign with the oilers and play a year or two and then find yourself in a european league till your 28 and then thats it, thats that.

if you really want to make a career out of playing hockey in the nhl and you're not named McDavid or Eichel it may benefit you to let the DRW develop you into that type of player like they have done with lots of others

as for your work, well I dont know what you do but I am sure the avg career expectancy isnt measured in months but decades.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Out of curiosity, why do you feel that Morrison has more upside than Jensen or Marchenko? As someone who watched a good deal of Jensen in college, I don't see it at all to be honest. I agree with you though that Rielly has more offensive upside than any prospect in our organization. He does not, however, play a lick of defense. We all know how well that formula worked out for Justin Schultz.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Out of curiosity, why do you feel that Morrison has more upside than Jensen or Marchenko? As someone who watched a good deal of Jensen in college, I don't see it at all to be honest. I agree with you though that Rielly has more offensive upside than any prospect in our organization. He does not, however, play a lick of defense. We all know how well that formula worked out for Justin Schultz.

I've only actually seen him a few times, so it's primarily based off what I've read or heard from a friend whose seen him a few times. From my understanding he's Dekeyser with more offense. He has the size, range and skating, and he's good at both ends of the ice. Not to mention that shot.

As for Jensen, I don't know. I just don't think he's done enough to separate himself. It sucks losing that speed, but really that's it with him. I mean Marchenko and Ouellet bring the same defense, and can still occasionally chip in on offense. Basically I see Jensen as an average middle pairing guy and I think Morrison with time, could be an above average one or better.

Edit: It seems you're a fan of Jensen, so I should note I don't mean to disparage him. I do like him, I just don't know that he has a future here.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Is there any chance E, Smith, Kindl and (to a lesser extent) Q won't be on the roster next season? IF there is, I sure as hell don't see it.

I mean anything can happen but given the depth, I just don't see a Rielly coming to Detroit.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Is there any chance E, Smith, Kindl and (to a lesser extent) Q won't be on the roster next season? IF there is, I sure as hell don't see it.

I mean anything can happen but given the depth, I just don't see a Rielly coming to Detroit.

Ericsson and Quincey are Wings next year, no doubt.
Smith could be gone to Toronto for Phaneuf if they bark up that tree again
Kindl could easily be gone. If not to another team then just permanently to GRG.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Agree with Frk It that Detroit likely seems unideal to most college UFAs at this point in time

DeKeyser was the perfect moment for a college UFA to sign as the team was very thin on the back end and he had all of the ties to Detroit

Unless the team can sign a guy like Reilly I'm not sure I'd advocate going that route right now just because the roster already looks full for next season with players like Ouellet, Marchenko, Pulkkinen needing spots. Unless the college guys are a clear upgrade on those players it probably isn't worth losing one of them for a similar player who is more foreign to our systems.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

Or

There are kids willing to go the slightly longer route. See Nosek (not NCAA, but a Euro free agent), who came here because his agent really liked the way the Wings develop players. There is also a chance that if the Wings saw a really solid RH offensive dman, they could guarantee him a spot ala DD and have him jump a guy like Jensen or Marchenko. I guess it depends on how raw the player is, and if a year in the AHL could really help their long term earning potential.

If you see a player better than your prospects, do everything you can to sign him. If you lose a lesser prospect to waivers, then so what. It happens. Hopefully the Wings can start managing young their assets a little better and actually get something for guys like Nesty, but if not oh well. Lots of good young guys in the system. All of them aren't going to make it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've only actually seen him a few times, so it's primarily based off what I've read or heard from a friend whose seen him a few times. From my understanding he's Dekeyser with more offense. He has the size, range and skating, and he's good at both ends of the ice. Not to mention that shot.

As for Jensen, I don't know. I just don't think he's done enough to separate himself. It sucks losing that speed, but really that's it with him. I mean Marchenko and Ouellet bring the same defense, and can still occasionally chip in on offense. Basically I see Jensen as an average middle pairing guy and I think Morrison with time, could be an above average one or better.

Edit: It seems you're a fan of Jensen, so I should note I don't mean to disparage him. I do like him, I just don't know that he has a future here.

I agree that Jensen is fighting an uphill battle in this organization. You, however, are certainly more bullish on Morrison than I am. I think he has NHL size and his skating is solid, but I am not willing to predict that he will become an above average, middle pair NHL defensemen. I thought Dekeyser's defensive game was much more developed at that level and that Morrison doesn't control the game like Jensen did in college.

We caught lighting in a bottle once with Dekeyser. I am not expecting us to do it again.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Or

What you're saying is true in many respects - however the Red Wings have garnered a reputation that if they draft/sign you - patience is necessary if you ever wish to see ice time at the NHL level.

Now that said - how many 'other' pro sports teams (including the NFL/NBA/MLB) have a reputation for developing their players, and set the standard fairly high for icing a quality team for the past 20 plus years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What you're saying is true in many respects - however the Red Wings have garnered a reputation that if they draft/sign you - patience is necessary if you ever wish to see ice time at the NHL level.

Now that said - how many 'other' pro sports teams (including the NFL/NBA/MLB) have a reputation for developing their players, and set the standard fairly high for icing a quality team for the past 20 plus years.

Well these kids are free agents, so they don't have to adhere to a "patience is best" mind set, like the kids we draft. We essentially own the kids we draft, so they don't have much of a choice there. These guys have a choice. They can ask for a guaranteed spot just like Schultz did, and what kid wouldn't want to bypass the AHL and go right to the NHL out of college?

Instant gratification and more money are hard things to say no to. Especially in your early to mid 20's.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
There is a logjam of good prospects in the system that they would have to compete with. There is no way any good college player would sign with the Wings unless they grew up a wings fan and are willing to wait their turn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad