Who Will Win the Pacific?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I'm really impressed at how quickly Vancouver was able to put together a dangerous team post-Sedins. I did not think Jim Benning had that ability in him.

It's been six years since Benning has been hired.

Only 10 GM's in the entire league have had their jobs longer than Jim Benning has.

He didn't turn things around quickly, he actually dragged them out significantly. If he didn't hit a home run with Pettersson, he'd be fired by now. And the jury is still out on whether he actually wanted to pick Pettersson or if he was talked into it by his scouting staff.

Reactions: Canucks5551

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
It's been six years since Benning has been hired.

Only 10 GM's in the entire league have had their jobs longer than Jim Benning has.

He didn't turn things around quickly, he actually dragged them out significantly. If he didn't hit a home run with Pettersson, he'd be fired by now. And the jury is still out on whether he actually wanted to pick Pettersson or if he was talked into it by his scouting staff.

How long is a reasonable amount of time to rebuild a team?

I think Benning has done a tremendous job rebuilding that team.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
From what I've seen of the teams, I think it'll be Vegas. They're doing all the right things on the ice, they're just not getting the bounces, and that has to change at some point. I think it'll be close though.

People talk about Vancouver's easy January schedule, but it takes a good team to win those games regardless. I think them and the Oilers have a good chance to challenge them, and if Phoenix returns to form once Kuemper gets back - watch out.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vegas just put in what I'd call their best performance of the season against a real good team. If they can start to play like that all the time I'd put money on the Knights.

Seems DeBoer has remembered everything Gallant forgot about what made this Knights team work.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Pretty bad division this year but someone has to win:

-Canucks a few points up but rely heavily on their goalie.
-Oilers have a big injury to deal with, Draisatl will need to carry them next few weeks.
-Flames are the most inconsistent team in the league and you never know which team will show up night to night.
-Vegas looks good on paper but have had their struggles this year.

Who wins the division this year?

Las Vegas.

Cream will rise to the top...
They are all creamy and stuff.

I envision a battle between Van and Edm for home ice..

Current advantage to Van due to Edm's current injuries.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like in another 10 gms. And then another 10 gms.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Statement game from Vegas. Even though Gallant is an amazing coach Deboer is pretty good too.

I honestly see them maybe winning the cup.

Reactions: GKG18

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If Vegas had a better backup goalie I think they'd be running away with it. They're the best team on paper and by far the best team statistically.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Will be interesting to see what happens when Edmonton and Calgary get their award winners back in the lineup in the next week how both of those teams look. Vegas is looking great of late, but is it going to stay that way? Arizona looks done.

I'll say Vegas ends in first, but wouldn't be shocked at any of the 3 Canadian teams either

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Will be interesting to see what happens when Edmonton and Calgary get their award winners back in the lineup in the next week how both of those teams look. Vegas is looking great of late, but is it going to stay that way? Arizona looks done.

I'll say Vegas ends in first, but wouldn't be shocked at any of the 3 Canadian teams either
Calgary will be in tough to make playoffs. They are so up and down you don't know what team will show up each game.

We were 15 minutes away last game from fans losing all hope in the team before the comeback against the Ducks.

I'd pick the Oilers over us even though I despise them because their players seem to at least show up most games.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Calgary will be in tough to make playoffs. They are so up and down you don't know what team will show up each game.

We were 15 minutes away last game from fans losing all hope in the team before the comeback against the Ducks.

I'd pick the Oilers over us even though I despise them because their players seem to at least show up most games.

I mean the game against the Ducks isn't really the best example of it. Flames were dominating the game and the end score was more accurate than the 3-1 was.

Flames problem most of the year has been scoring goals. We haven't consistently done it. And now suddenly we gave more than 5 a game in our last 5 games. At the same time, having half our D hurt clearly shows as well.

So the question becomes whether the Flames scoring can continue when we get our D healthy.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Edmonton because McDavid and Drai, they're the 2 best players in that conference, arguably the league right now. Even with McDavid out Drai has proven himself as one of the games best, no one can question that anymore. I think those 2 are good enough to win Edmonton enough games to claim the top spot.

Reactions: spot

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I mean the game against the Ducks isn't really the best example of it. Flames were dominating the game and the end score was more accurate than the 3-1 was.

Flames problem most of the year has been scoring goals. We haven't consistently done it. And now suddenly we gave more than 5 a game in our last 5 games. At the same time, having half our D hurt clearly shows as well.

So the question becomes whether the Flames scoring can continue when we get our D healthy.
Flames were not dominating the game, we were leaking scoring chances again. We have been bailed out by our goalies on alot of our wins and have been lucky in shootouts.

Without those 2 things we are looking at the Flames being 10 points behind where they are now and everyone would be calling for a blow up.

Been a Flames fan my whole life but this years team is hot trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad