Who will win the open spot for 7th defenseman?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Falk

No sense in having Nelson in the pressbox (I dont see him at 6 over Franson to start the year), he should be getting big minutes in Roch. If injury hits, then Nelson gets the call up.

Deleted member 27798

If Falk is the 7th blueliner with the Sabres at the start of the season, that leaves the following blueliners(in no particular order) with the Amerks, correct?

Nelson
Strachan
Bennett
Geiger
Austin
Martin
Burgdoerfer
Fedun

Back to juniors...Guhle, Budik, Osmanski & Stephens

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Falk to start the season with Nelson and Franson rotating 6/7 from game 40 onward.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nelson will not get the 7th spot...hes either playing regularly or going to Rochester. He isnt sitting in the press box.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Echoing the above. They won't keep Nelson up as a reserve. Beating out Franson for the 6 spot... another story.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Echoing the above. They won't keep Nelson up as a reserve. Beating out Franson for the 6 spot... another story.

I voted for Nelson for just that reason. Let's see how healthy Franson is, the 2 of them can split time. Once one of them wins out, then we'll see.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
All I heard him say is that he's come to camp leaner and changed some stuff about his workout. Did he say he was top 6?

He said there is a clear-cut 6 on defense. Then 3-4 guys battle for the 7th spot. I'm fairly confident Franson is among those 6.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Why so many votes for Justin Falk? Murray & Disco seem pretty big into the whole leftie-rightie sets and the left side is solid with Gorges, Kulikov & McCabe. I would imagine that the 7th D is going to be a rightie who will push the next weakest guy in the group which is the 3rd right D (probably Franson).

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Before whatever injury was announced, I probably would've said Fedun, as based on his limited NHL experience (12GP 2+5=7) and AHL consistency (avg. 8G, 33P over last four AHL years), he seemed overdue for a run as a 7D. Now, he's at a disadvantage since he's missing at least one week of camp, but I'll still give him the nod I guess.

Falk isn't a guy I really want to see in the lineup, but also someone I have no issue scratching, so I can see the case there. Burgdoerfer got praise from Trotz at past camps and finally got that NHL contract, so hard to say if he has more in him without isolating on him at camp and in exhibitions. I want Nelson and Guhle playing a lot, so Rochester and Prince Albert respectively for them, unless a camp injury gives them an opportunity to seize. Austin's depth for the Amerks, as are Strachan, Bennett, and Geiger.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He said there is a clear-cut 6 on defense. Then 3-4 guys battle for the 7th spot. I'm fairly confident Franson is among those 6.

Given his contract, I would guess that's probably right. But from a performance standpoint, I don't see how he earns one of those spots.

TimHorton7

Jan 21, 2011
7th D

Before whatever injury was announced, I probably would've said Fedun, as based on his limited NHL experience (12GP 2+5=7) and AHL consistency (avg. 8G, 33P over last four AHL years), he seemed overdue for a run as a 7D. Now, he's at a disadvantage since he's missing at least one week of camp, but I'll still give him the nod I guess.

Falk isn't a guy I really want to see in the lineup, but also someone I have no issue scratching, so I can see the case there. Burgdoerfer got praise from Trotz at past camps and finally got that NHL contract, so hard to say if he has more in him without isolating on him at camp and in exhibitions. I want Nelson and Guhle playing a lot, so Rochester and Prince Albert respectively for them, unless a camp injury gives them an opportunity to seize. Austin's depth for the Amerks, as are Strachan, Bennett, and Geiger.

Well said. Burgdoerfer was a rock for Hershey last season. Can play shut down and on the PK. A nice thought for a #7. Could give solid time at #3-6. This gives the younger players ice time and experience. The #7 should never be a kid, and Burgdoerfer could push the #5-6 D to perform...we shall see.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Winner of this poll, as expected by most is Casey Nelson.

Mods can close thread if they choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad