Who will most likely be a trade chip?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Which is what I hate about this trade. It created a hole that usually can't be filled with a midseason trade. Wingers can be obtained far more easily and cheaply but even tanking team's hang onto their top 4 Dmen unless that Dman is aging or wants a trade for a cup. If they do offer a top 4 in his prime they will ask at least what we got for Boychuk.

Chia got burned badly by the cap and while I think there were other moves he could make I think he took the one with an actual return (I mean does anyone really think Chia was going to get much for Caron, Bart or Kelly?)

I agree. Apparently, no one was willing to give much for Bart, Adam, Wars, etc. I understand the desire for flexibility to acquire forward help, but not at the expense of losing your top 3, minute eating D who not only gives you everything he has on the ice but is also a very important part of the locker room. Don't underestimate the latter factor; it matters a lot. The message to the players take away from a move like this is that the organization is punting, or, at best, hoping for the best with the D they have and hoping forward help will be available.

After Krug and Smith were signed, I would have moved Bart, Adam, Wars, perhaps even Spooner for flexibility, kept Johnny knowing he'd be gone this summer, but going all in again.

2014-15 appears to be a bridge year, whether it was intended to be or not. The Bruins are weaker while others in the division are stronger. And again, very good third pairing D don't grow on trees. Where are they going to get that next summer? Ugh. :(:(:help::help::(:cry:

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Which is what I hate about this trade. It created a hole that usually can't be filled with a midseason trade. Wingers can be obtained far more easily and cheaply but even tanking team's hang onto their top 4 Dmen unless that Dman is aging or wants a trade for a cup. If they do offer a top 4 in his prime they will ask at least what we got for Boychuk.

Chia got burned badly by the cap and while I think there were other moves he could make I think he took the one with an actual return (I mean does anyone really think Chia was going to get much for Caron, Bart or Kelly?)

At least as much? A top 4 is going to cost us a hell of a lot more which is downright infuriating to me.

That being said, the situation is salvageable. We've got some proven talent in Providence who can probably fetch a top 4 if we approach the right team. It all comes down to our depth at center... thank god we're swimming in NHL caliber centers, if not I think our situation would be far more dire.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Erikson, Miller, Spooner, 2 2nds for Eberle?

Guessing we might need more. I think the deal gets done if those two 2nds were boychuck.

Lucic-Krecji-eberle
Marchand- Bergy-smith
Kelly-Soda-gagne
Paille-Koko-Robbins

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota

Guessing we might need more. I think the deal gets done if those two 2nds were boychuck.

Lucic-Krecji-eberle
Marchand- Bergy-smith
Kelly-Soda-gagne
Paille-Koko-Robbins

Not a bad idea, but it still leaves a hole on the blue line. Man, this Boychuck situation really **** us. At least beforehand we could rely on a stalwart blue line if the offense became shaky. These type of situations really expose 2-way players who get caught trying to win the game on both sides of the ice.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Lucic-Krecji-eberle
Marchand- Bergy-smith
Kelly-Soda-gagne
Paille-Koko-Robbins

Like I said in the trade forum, I think Eberle's contract is too heavy to take on for 5 years from a Bruins standpoint. We'll still have to re-sign Hamilton, Smith and Krug. I'd go after a guy with 2 years left like Buff or Perron. Use it as a stop gap until Pastrnak is ready. Just my opinion though.

BUBourque77

Jun 25, 2013
Spooner, Bart, and picks for Chris Stewart (+ret $$), conditional picks attached if he's re-signed.

Not a perfect player, but perfect for this team right now.

Lucic-Krejci-Stewart
March-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Yeti-Louie
Paille-Kelly-Campbell
Robbins

Z - Hamilton
Seids - McQuaid
Krug - Miller
Warsofsky

Rask
Svedy

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Spooner, Bart, and picks for Chris Stewart (+ret $$), conditional picks attached if he's re-signed.

Not a perfect player, but perfect for this team right now.

Lucic-Krejci-Stewart
March-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Yeti-Louie
Paille-Kelly-Campbell
Robbins

Z - Hamilton
Seids - McQuaid
Krug - Miller
Warsofsky

Rask
Svedy

I'm starting to think Stewart is the best option for now as well...big bodied winger and most importantly right handed. Streaky player but capable of playing on the top line. Then you do what you gotta do to improve this team at the deadline. Still a lot of work to be done.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Chris Stewart is absolutely terrible.

We're talking about a player who probably would drag down our third line, let alone our first line. I'd rather tank this season instead of wasting time believing that someone like Chris Stewart is the answer to our problems.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Chris Stewart is absolutely terrible.

We're talking about a player who probably would drag down our third line, let alone our first line. I'd rather tank this season instead of wasting time believing that someone like Chris Stewart is the answer to our problems.

I agree. Not a fan of Stewart at all.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Creating a hole in the top 6 LW to replace top 6 RW is dumb.

Only way I consider dealing Marchand (during the season) is if Spooner becomes Godlike, can center the 3rd line no problem, and we put Soderberg on the 2nd line.

Part of why he's so good is because no team can match him on the 3rd line, but can you imagine a Soderberg-Bergeron-Smith line? Or even Soderberg-Bergeron-Eriksson?

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Or even Soderberg-Bergeron-Eriksson?

Pretty sure we are going to see that sooner than you think if Marchand doesn't start putting the puck in net.

Smith should move up to Krejci's line & put Marchand with Kelly and Gagne on the 3rd Line.

Spider sense tells me that is what is going to come.....

Actually seeing that Gagne is pretty much a given that might not be so bad..........hmmmmm....I kinda like it.

member 96824

I have a hard time believing that anyone who suggests Stewart has seen him for a considerable stretch of time.

Especially in playoffs

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I put in Eriksson more as part of wishful thinking, but the reality is his trade value is next to nothing, unless the B's take back same.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Better trade spoon and koko, our genious coach will never give them a chance and by miracle if he do, he will force them to be axelsson clone

This is ironic considering you misspelled genius in a world with autocorrect.....

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Like I said in the trade forum, I think Eberle's contract is too heavy to take on for 5 years from a Bruins standpoint. We'll still have to re-sign Hamilton, Smith and Krug. I'd go after a guy with 2 years left like Buff or Perron. Use it as a stop gap until Pastrnak is ready. Just my opinion though.

Don't forget Soderberg!! IMO #34 is a priority to lock up beyond this season, more so than anyone else not named Dougie. Smith and Krug are definite keepers too, just less of a priority.

When i see Boychuk in old hockey clips (or in a NYI jersey) and get saddened by the fact that Chia shipped him out of town without even getting a living thing in exchange... i try to remind myself that he would have likely been somewhere on the bottom portion of Chia's "signing priorities" list. As a result, JB55 almost certainly would have been gone at the end of this season (an UFA on the wrong side of 30 commanding $5-6M, easily).

THEN when i think that perhaps it would have been worth turning down two 2nd rounders for one more year of Boychuk in Boston... i try to remind myself that the upcoming draft is going to be the deepest NHL draft in recent years.

Humans are rationalizing creatures :D

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Had we kept JB, I would've said Chara. He's breaking down fast. Now we've got "depth" that can't seem to rise to NHL caliber and overpaid mediocre vets that nobody wants.

How did it all come to this so quickly? :cry:

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Had we kept JB, I would've said Chara. He's breaking down fast. Now we've got "depth" that can't seem to rise to NHL caliber and overpaid mediocre vets that nobody wants.

How did it all come to this so quickly? :cry:

Year after year of terrible drafting, for starters. And frankly, to call the drafting under PC's watch "terrible" is being charitable.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Spooner has got to have good value. Sure, his NHL numbers suck, but a smart GM knows that in the right system, at center, the kid is a point producer.

Chia has to find that GM and get value. So, I'd build around Spooner+.

I know everyone is scoring wing crazy, and rightfully so, these days, but I think we're going to need a steady, if unspectacular #4 defenseman also.

I hope McQuaid can fill that role, but I couldn't bet on it.

Chia and Clode are here. Long leash. If the players are listless for an extended period I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucic and/or Marchand go as an attention getter/new era of sorts.

If the old guard has become too lazy and won't mind the system, you trade the ones you can (keeping the best), and bring in hungry players that will.

But I doubt it will come to that, once the line-up is intact and steady - players will work it out and get it together. At least to a point of being "good."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad