greater career

• Malkin

• Kane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think when these guys are done Kane will have the flashier narrative, as the greatest American player of all time. Geno will always be in the shadow of Crosby a bit... 101

It'll likely have an effect on how people talk about them and tip the scales towards Kaner as far as the average opinion goes.

And Kane isn't slowing down any time soon so there's that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Malkin started off better and probably peaked higher, but Kane’s consistency and longevity I think will have him surpass Malkin in the long run.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The talk was always:

Crosby/Ovechkin
Malkin

Everyone Else

Sure, the gap has closed, but the original narrative remains.

If Kane wins a 2nd Hart this season, which is a distinct possibility [if Chicago makes the playoffs and he finishes top-3 in scoring, I think he will win it].

I think with a 2nd Hart his legacy will be in front of Malkin [or at the very least equal].

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Kane is an odd one, if not for getting hurt in 14-15 he could very well already have 2 Hart's and another Ross.

Obviously he can play on the same level as the other too but just doesn't go all out

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If Kane wins a 2nd Hart this season, which is a distinct possibility [if Chicago makes the playoffs and he finishes top-3 in scoring, I think he will win it].

I think with a 2nd Hart his legacy will be in front of Malkin [or at the very least equal].

McDavid will win the Hart this year (as he should), as long as the Oilers remain in a playoff position.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
And Malkin was dominating from 20 years old. It took Kane 8 years for a superstar 100 point season. Six of those seasons were below ppg. Malkin only ever had one below ppg. He had like 80 some points in there once. One bad year from a 34 year old Malkin ain’t changing that.

Yeah ur right Kane didn’t accomplish much at all those first 8 years...

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I didn’t say that. And I mean if your argument is cups, they both have three so not sure what your point is.

You also said 6 of the 8 he was below PPG. A complete lie. Go check ur facts bud. He’s only been below PPG 3 times in his career. 2 of those were his first 2 seasons in the league.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
You also said 6 of the 8 he was below PPG. A complete lie. Go check ur facts bud. He’s only been below PPG 3 times in his career. 2 of those were his first 2 seasons in the league.
I meant six of those he wasn’t above ppg. He was directly at ppg a few times which is.. whatever. Point still stands. Not as impressive as Malkin.

Edit: actually five

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And Malkin was dominating from 20 years old. It took Kane 8 years for a superstar 100 point season. Six of those seasons were below ppg. Malkin only ever had one below ppg. He had like 80 some points in there once. One bad year from a 34 year old Malkin ain’t changing that.

Kane was 9th in points & made the first all-star team at 21.....

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Kane is an odd one, if not for getting hurt in 14-15 he could very well already have 2 Hart's and another Ross.

Obviously he can play on the same level as the other too but just doesn't go all out

Disagree on that one. It's possible Kane could have won the art ross, but he was only 1st in scoring for a few days or so before his injury. can't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't for very long. no one was a lock for the ross that season. hart? no. terrible year for forwards + Price was insane that year.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think when these guys are done Kane will have the flashier narrative, as the greatest American player of all time. Geno will always be in the shadow of Crosby a bit... 101

It'll likely have an effect on how people talk about them and tip the scales towards Kaner as far as the average opinion goes.

And Kane isn't slowing down any time soon so there's that.

Flashier narrative?

This shouldn’t even be a discussion. Malkin is the greater talent and he should have made this an insurmountable task ages ago.

But he didn’t because he consistently can’t be counted on to play the games. He’s missed anywhere from 13 to 39 games in 9 out of the past 11 seasons coming into this year. He managed to keep this streak in tact despite there being a lockout and COVID cancellations during that time frame.

This will be his 9th season in a row without any individual hardware and not even an All-Star nod.

Damn, I like Malkin more and again, during his extremely short peak, I thought he reached a level of play higher than Crosby and Ovechkin, but let’s not pretend Kane can’t have a legitimate argument when it’s all said and done that has nothing to do with the potential greatest American narrative or Malkin being in Crosby’s shadow.

Especially when Malkin self admits that he loves Crosby doing the heavy lifting in every aspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: DickSmehlik

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Flashier narrative?

This shouldn’t even be a discussion. Malkin is the greater talent and he should have made this an insurmountable task ages ago.

But he didn’t because he consistently can’t be counted on to play the games. He’s missed anywhere from 13 to 39 games for in 9 out of the past 11 seasons coming into this year. He managed to keep this streak in tact despite there being a lockout and COVID cancellations during that time frame.

This will be his 9th season in a row without any individual hardware and not even an All-Star nod.

Damn, I like Malkin more and again, during his extremely short peak, I thought he reached a level of play higher than Crosby and Ovechkin, but let’s not pretend Kane can’t have a legitimate argument when it’s all said and done that has nothing to do with the potential greatest American narrative or Malkin being in Crosby’s shadow.

Especially when Malkin self admits that he loves Crosby doing the heavy lifting in every aspect.

I mean, it’s not like Kane didn’t have a HHOF winger above him 99% of his career too.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I mean, it’s not like Kane didn’t have a HHOF winger above him 99% of his career too.

I don’t think Hossa was ever a better Hawk than Kane at any point. Even if you want to argue that, it would have been one or two seasons at most, if that. Regardless, Hossa is hardly comparable to Crosby.

This poll is honestly too close to call. A few years ago this would have been in Malkin’s favor “AINEC,” but Kane has really closed the gap.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If Kane manages to add a Hart trophy while being up against a prime McDavid, he just might overtake Malkin.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Disagree on that one. It's possible Kane could have won the art ross, but he was only 1st in scoring for a few days or so before his injury. can't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't for very long. no one was a lock for the ross that season. hart? no. terrible year for forwards + Price was insane that year.

Agreed. Kane might have won the Art Ross that year, but his PPG puts him right in line with Benn, so it wasn't a given and it was a weak scoring year at the top. Zero chance he would have taken the Hart from Price though unless he went on an absolute tear and hit 100 points or something.

Reactions: slapKing

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Flashier narrative?

But he didn’t because he consistently can’t be counted on to play the games. He’s missed anywhere from 13 to 39 games in 9 out of the past 11 seasons coming into this year. He managed to keep this streak in tact despite there being a lockout and COVID cancellations during that time frame.

Oh i agree. Just think that the big crowd won't appreciate Geno quite as much as they should in comparison to Kane who will be talked about as the Hawks best forward during their cup runs, arguably best American ever and possibly someone who carried the Hawks in his older days. He's going to get a lot of the glory to himself i feel like, certainly more than anyone who he's played and had success with.

I'd imagine Malkin will be considered one of all-time greats, but usually talked about with Sid and the two-headed monster or the Pens in general, instead of just himself if you know what i mean. And then he'll have the group of people who consider him one of the greatest talents ever and are huge fans, but in the grand scheme of things it's a minority.

And im not implying who is better or anything like that, just speculating on what the future public view is going to be in terms of legacy. I'll be positively surprised if Geno gets tons of the spotlight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad