Who will have a better "back-half" of their career: Crosby or Ovechkin

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Since they're both over 30, they're starting (actually already have started) the back-half of their careers. Who do you think will have a better second half to finish off their careers and enter the HOF?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Personally, I think Crosby's will be more gradual (can alter his game to change with his abilities) and Ovechkins will be more steep. However, I think Crosby's will start earlier and Ovechkin will get a couple years in before he starts looking "bad" (compared to his old self).

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Crosby will have a hard time surpassing Ovechkin's record after turning 30. Ovechkin already has 2 Rockets, a cup and a Conn Smythe after turning 30. And he could very well add another Rocket to his Trophy case.

Crosby can probably put up some stellar numbers for many more years to come, but his days of finishing top 5 in Points are pretty much over...

Reactions: Voight

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Likely Ovechkin, the guy just can’t stop scoring, he probably has 2-3 more Rocket Richard to win until the end of his career. As long as he has an elite shot, he’ll remain a huge offensive threat.

As far Crosby, his overall game and hockey IQ can allow him to put up a good amount of points and remain among the top players until his late 30’s.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They will both probably be great until they are 40 unless one of them gets injured / decides to retire early . Ovie is probably going to win a few more rockets tho so I guess him. But maybe Crosby loves hockey enough to keep changing his role and play till 45 or something crazy like jagr so who knows

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
As long as Ovi can still stand in his spot on the powerplay I think he will last a little longer and has a lot less injuries/concussions to catch up to him

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
I will say Ovechkin and only due to durability. Crosby's will be good point wise, but i expect his proclivity for injury to make his "back-end" relatively short compared to Ovechkin the tank.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Ovechkins statistics will probably hold up better I think. Crosby will probably still be a better player though (easier for a center to impact a game and Crosby is obviously a great one).

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
The thing about Sid is that the abilities that make him so great aren't the ones that will regress just because he's getting older. He never was the fastest skater or anything like that. He isn't one dimensional. Hockey IQ doesn't get worse the older you get.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Personally, I think Crosby's will be more gradual (can alter his game to change with his abilities) and Ovechkins will be more steep. However, I think Crosby's will start earlier and Ovechkin will get a couple years in before he starts looking "bad" (compared to his old self).
I agree with most of this but Crosby is still the better more rounded player and even if his speed dips a bit he can retain a lot of his game.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ovechkin is much more durable and Crosby has concussion history. I don't think either's most critical skill (Ovechkin's shot and Crosby's hockey sense) will diminish much with age, so I think it's more likely a body breakdown determines this.

Ovechkin for me. I think he can score 15-20 goals just being a PP turret well into his 40s. I'm skeptical Crosby will play into his 40s, and is much more likely to have a precipitous fall with a recurrence of previous injury.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Last edited:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Crosby will still end up being the better of the two as long as something major doesn’t happen injury wise.

Kresnik

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
Crosby has a good physique, if he does not get any injury to the head he will be able to play for long i think. We all know Ovechkin has a beast physique, i can't really say but i would say that Crosby will put up more numbers and Ovechkin will score alot more goals.

Reactions: HowToShoot101

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ovi has stayed remarkably healthy for his career, while Crosby has some injury issues. I'll bet on Ovi.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ovi I think will post the better numbers. I think its easier for a sniper to keep putting up numbers long term, especially considering how effective he is on the PP. Crosby's game is more well rounded, but he has the greater injury issues and I think center is a way more demanding position overall. I could see Ovy sticking it out into his early 40s, where I think Sid tops out around 36 with his past injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad