Who will Florida pick?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
This is what I thought I'd do. We vote on the first four picks in the NHL draft so we can come up with a Calgary picks. First Florida. WHO DO YOU THNK FLORIDA WILL PICK?

This will close after 1 or 2 days depending on how close it is, if there's a tie, rookie users will say who they think

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think this is a good enough idea. :)

I feel like the Panthers' openness about trading the pick kind of indicates that they aren't terribly concerned with nabbing one particular forward out of this draft. I think they take the defenceman first overall, probably feeling that they could have taken him a few spots down if they'd worked out a trade.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I look at the options and it's Ekblad

Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl are all centres. An they already have Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Pirri, Mueller, Grimaldi, Rau, Trocheck, Martindale, Hodges.

Dal Colle isn't good enough

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Florida unfortunately takes Ekblad. But.. if they don't, then I think he will be a Flame.

I personally don't see a scenario where Ekblad can fall past 3.
Last year it made sense when Jones fell to 4, simply because when you look at the teams infront of the Preds, they needed something else:
Colorado wanted the BPA and got him, Mack
Florida wanted their #1 center for JH, Barkov
Tampa wanted their MSL replacement, Drouin

That left Preds with Jones, which of course, they were more than happy to take.

This year.
Florida wants the BPA or a top defensive prospect: Ekblad
Buffalo is the only team that might pass on him, and they might not even do so if he's widely considered the BPA
Edmonton still needs a big time defender, no way they pass on Ekblad given the chance.

Calgary needs help everywhere. This should be going BPA without thinking. In the order:
Reinhart > Ekblad> Bennett > Draisaitl, no need to even look past the two four.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I look at the options and it's Ekblad

Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl are all centres. An they already have Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Pirri, Mueller, Grimaldi, Rau, Trocheck, Martindale, Hodges.

Dal Colle isn't good enough

Unless they take Bennett and play him at wing?

Then Buf takes Reinhart or Ekblad. Edmonton takes Draisaitl, and we get Sam or EK.

I honestly believe that's the Oilers have Draisaitl or Bennett as their #1 choice, I don't think they take Ekblad or Reinhart.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I can honestly see Vancouver making somewhat of a splash in the first round of this draft similar to how they did last year, perhaps putting a package together with their 6th overall to obtain Florida's number one. From the Panthers' perspective, there would still be plenty of suitable forward talent to pick from at 6 (Ritchie, Perlini, Ehlers, even Virtanen), on top of whatever they might be able to wrangle from the Nucks in trading down.. There is the recent trade history between these two teams.. the Nucks (like many other teams) may see the top 3 or 4 ranked as being in a considerable enough tier above the rest to warrant moving up, and may want to make a statement.. what do you guys think; in addition to their own 1st rounder, what would the price tag be for Van to snag Florida's?

Edit: Can the poll be revised to include Florida trading their pick as an option?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Edit: Can the poll be revised to include Florida trading their pick as an option?
Nope. The poll would have to be deleted and re-added, losing all the votes already done, just to add a something that is no more than a remote possibility? It's a waste of time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I voted Ekblad because I think there is about a 50% chance they pick him. But I would love to see Draisaitl go number 1 because of how he still gets underrated by some.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I voted Ekblad because I think there is about a 50% chance they pick him. But I would love to see Draisaitl go number 1 because of how he still gets underrated by some.

I think if Draisaitl's skating was above average to very good, he would be the consensus number 1 pick. He's a very impressive player, I kinda hope we get him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think if Draisaitl's skating was above average to very good, he would be the consensus number 1 pick. He's a very impressive player, I kinda hope we get him.
Me too actually. But I think he goes #2 to Buffalo.

I think it shakes down as:

1. Fla - Bennett/Reinhart
2. Buf - Draisaitl
3. Edm - Ekblad
4. Cgy - Bennett/Reinhart
5. Nyi - Dal Colle
6. Van - Ehlers
7. Car - Fleury
8. Tor - Ritchie
9. Wpg - Nylander
10. Ahm - Tuch

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Calgary should trade Buffalo if Florida does not pick Ekblad.

Any of the top 4 are going to be wonderful for the Flames :)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Me too actually. But I think he goes #2 to Buffalo.

I think it shakes down as:

1. Fla - Bennett/Reinhart
2. Buf - Draisaitl
3. Edm - Ekblad
4. Cgy - Bennett/Reinhart
5. Nyi - Dal Colle
6. Van - Ehlers
7. Car - Fleury
8. Tor - Ritchie
9. Wpg - Nylander
10. Ahm - Tuch

I could definitely see that happening and I'd be extremely happy if it did.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Nope. The poll would have to be deleted and re-added, losing all the votes already done, just to add a something that is no more than a remote possibility? It's a waste of time.

Ah, fair enough.. didn't realize the poll couldn't be revised without deleting it. No sweat, I'd still bet someone lunch that they'll trade down lol :nod: I see VAN putting a package together including their pick for Florida's, and using it to nab hometown boy Reinhart, giving them a solid one-two punch up the middle with Horvat. Here's my guess as to how the rest of the top ten plays out:

VAN Reinhart
BUF Bennett
EDM Draisaitl/Ekblad
CGY Ekblad/Draisaitl
NYI Dal Colle
FLA Ritchie/Perlini
CAR Perlini/Ritchie
TOR Fleury
WPG Virtanen
ANA Ehlers

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Ah, fair enough.. didn't realize the poll couldn't be revised without deleting it. No sweat, I'd still bet someone lunch that they'll trade down lol :nod: I see VAN putting a package together including their pick for Florida's, and using it to nab hometown boy Reinhart, giving them a solid one-two punch up the middle with Horvat. Here's my guess as to how the rest of the top ten plays out:

VAN Reinhart
BUF Bennett
EDM Draisaitl/Ekblad
CGY Ekblad/Draisaitl
NYI Dal Colle
FLA Ritchie/Perlini
CAR Perlini/Ritchie
TOR Fleury
WPG Virtanen
ANA Ehlers

Perlini won't be drafted that high, outside top 10. I have him going 11-16th

Also I doubt Toronto drafts Fleury, they have lots of defenceman in their prospect pool

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Perlini won't be drafted that high, outside top 10. I have him going 11-16th

Also I doubt Toronto drafts Fleury, they have lots of defenceman in their prospect pool

With the 8th overall pick, I suppose they'll take whomever they deem to be the best guy available at that spot, regardless of what their needs or strength are.. the only other guy I was on the fence about including in my top ten was Nylander, and I could actually see Carolina going with him now instead of Perlini.. doesn't really change my opinion of where the others are taken; I still see Winnipeg taking a chance on Virtanen, leaving Ehlers available for ANA:

VAN (from FLA) Reinhart
BUF Bennett
EDM Draisaitl/Ekblad
CGY Ekblad/Draisaitl
NYI Dal Colle
FLA (from VAN) Ritchie
CAR Nylander
TOR Fleury
WPG Virtanen
ANA Ehlers

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not gonna be happy if the Nucks take either of Elhers, Ritchie or Nylander. Elhers and Nylander could end up being top players from this draft, and Ritchie will become am impact player in his own right. I have a feeling they'll take Ritchie or Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad