WJC: Who will be the top goalie in the WJC

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
He plays a good season but he's not among the leaders anymore. 7th in percentage with 90.45%.
You're right, he slowed down a little bit over the past few games, but that's normal for a 19yo kid. And far away from underwhelming...

He has to stand on his head again to steal some points for Switzerland, but he's some experience now and I hope he can handle the pressure.

I wouldn't say he's the top goalie of the WJC but if the Swiss can make it to the Quarters, everything is possible.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
He plays a good season but he's not among the leaders anymore. 7th in percentage with 90.45%.

Conz Does not have the best defense in front of him. With all due respect to the Langnau Tigers ... !

Few routine saves with the Tigers !

The beginning of season he had was simply unreal !

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I dont really pay that much attention to junior hockey, but guys in the major finnish hockey forum seem to think it's a toss up between the finnish goalie Ortio and the US goalie (Campbell his name was..?) and since those fellas atleast consider themselves to be somewhat of experts I'm gonna go with Ortio and Campbell.

Btw. Eventhough I don't follow junior hockey too closely I do know that Lars Volden isn't even in the same league with Ortio and Aittokallio, literally. ;)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I dont really pay that much attention to junior hockey, but guys in the major finnish hockey forum seem to think it's a toss up between the finnish goalie Ortio and the US goalie (Campbell his name was..?) and since those fellas atleast consider themselves to be somewhat of experts I'm gonna go with Ortio and Campbell.
Which forum is this? Ortio definitely isn't one of the household names going into this tournament.

Of course, there's no saying he couldn't be one coming out, but a name for safe betters he is not.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
So the goalie situation is clear in:
USA: Campbell
Sweden: Lehner
Finland: Ortio
Russia: Bobkov
Switzerland: Conz
Germany: Grubauer
Norway: Volden

and to be decided during exhibition games in:

Canada
Slovakia
Czech Rep.

Am I right about this?

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Which forum is this? Ortio definitely isn't one of the household names going into this tournament.

Of course, there's no saying he couldn't be one coming out, but a name for safe betters he is not.

Jatkoaika the forum's name is.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
a lot of good goaltending on some of the 'non-contender' teams this year, but i think by virtue of their strong teams the best goalies will look like:

Lehner, Campbell, and Roy.

outside chance for someone like conz and ortio, but it's an uphill climb for them.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
a lot of good goaltending on some of the 'non-contender' teams this year, but i think by virtue of their strong teams the best goalies will look like:

outside chance for someone like conz and ortio, but it's an uphill climb for them.

Yeah, even if Grubauer, Volden or Conz etc. will have strong tournaments, their GAA will still be around 4.00 and maybe 1-3 wins at best.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jatkoaika the forum's name is.
Went through Jatkoaika's U20 thread with a sharp eye yet found nowhere a statement that'd claim it'd be a two-way race between Ortio and Campbell. The closest I found was a comment that said Campbell's in a league on his own yet after that there's a steady group of challengers (Lehner, Roy, Bobkov, Ortio) with no huge gaps in skill. Which is kind of true, I guess. If you're an optimist.

But it's still a fact that Ortio isn't the most prestigious goalie going into this tournament. The homer in me naturally wishes he'll be something of a black horse in the race though.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

This. Although if my memory serves me Conz was named the best goaltender last year and the all-star team so it's not impossible. His statistical numbers were definitely not great, but his team was taken into account. However, I'm sure people will disagree with the directorate winners anyway.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Actually looking at the way the divisions are set up, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Campbell has the best stats going into the playoff round. Although this very well could hurt him in the semi-finals (assuming a USA top seeding in their grouping) as he will likely not have been tested all that much going into that game.

Despite probable US dominance in the round robin, the US very well could be upset when they face their first real test in the semi's either against Canada, Russia or the Swedes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad