WJC: Who will be the top goalie in the WJC

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I'm hopping for Conz again lol. But I think it will be either Conz or Lehner. With JC as a HM

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Campbell's play has been under whelming in the OHL this year but if he can get it together like he has in the World Juniors last year and other tournaments in the past it could be him. Lehner is probably a safe choice.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Lehner should definitely be people's #1 choice.

Campbell hasn't exactly been lights out in Windsor this year, which is nice to see. Hopefully that carries over into the tournament. He was unreal last year.. made me really jealous.

No1Joker

May 11, 2009
Helsinki
Campbell, Lehner will loose it like Markstrom did last year in the semi's. Conz will be on fire again too, how is this kid not drafted...

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Campbell, Lehner will loose it like Markstrom did last year in the semi's. Conz will be on fire again too, how is this kid not drafted...

If only you could tell me how Lehner has anything to do with Markstrom? And Conz is likely not drafted at least partly because he's 5'10 and boasts underwhelming numbers in the Swiss league.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Historically the top goalie is often on a weaker team due to the volume of shots and pressure faced. For that reason I think Conz has to be in consideration. I also wouldn't be surprised if some unknown goalie jumps up like most years. If the Finns are going to win they will likely need strong goaltending so that's very possible.

I don't see why people are so quick to give it to Lehner. Yes he is likely the best goaltending prospect in the tournament, but he's also used to playing in a pro system with pro defence in front of him. It'll be very different with the mistakes junior players will make. That's often why we don't see the best goaltending prospects be the best goalies.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Historically the top goalie is often on a weaker team due to the volume of shots and pressure faced. For that reason I think Conz has to be in consideration. I also wouldn't be surprised if some unknown goalie jumps up like most years. If the Finns are going to win they will likely need strong goaltending so that's very possible.

I don't see why people are so quick to give it to Lehner. Yes he is likely the best goaltending prospect in the tournament, but he's also used to playing in a pro system with pro defence in front of him. It'll be very different with the mistakes junior players will make. That's often why we don't see the best goaltending prospects be the best goalies.

Is the top goalie usually from a weaker team? I know that a lot of goalies from weaker teams get praised in individual games because they took 50-60 shots some times and give up 4-5 goals for the loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IIHF_World_Under_20_Championship_Directorate_award_winners

The award usually goes to one of the tournaments high end prospects who plays for either a good team or a clear contender. Price, Mason, Markstrom, Montoya, Schwartz, Lehtonen, Luongo, Denis, Dipietro, Rask, Fleury...

The AHL isn't exactly an easy league to play in for a goalie, scrambly, intense, tough but your also taking pro traffic and pro shots...goalies have a much easier time in the NHL a lot of the time, Lehner's said this before...The take home point is that Lehner was deemed by his NHL club to be ahead of junior hockey. Also, he pulled out some impressive stats last year in the O while taking what was the worst team in the OHL into a playoff team. I mean people are saying Lehner because he's the favourite, not because he's a shoe in. Adam Larsson and Tim Erixon lead a pretty good defense group at this tournament. And Robin is very athletic and covers a ton of net.

The top goalie in these tournaments can easily go to the best teams goaltender though. In some cases it can go to a goalie that has a great week and sees a ton of rubber....

Last edited:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
If only you could tell me how Lehner has anything to do with Markstrom? And Conz is likely not drafted at least partly because he's 5'10 and boasts underwhelming numbers in the Swiss league.

What do you think? Poster is Finnish, Lehner is Swedish. A lot of Finns here at HF seem to have this obsession of bashing Sweden and Swedish players.
But there are some nice guys aswell :nod:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What do you think? Poster is Finnish, Lehner is Swedish. A lot of Finns here at HF seem to have this obsession of bashing Sweden and Swedish players.

oh its such a normal thing. a love hate relationship ;) markstrom has made it hard for me to keep hating on you guys. ;)

Pyke*

Yeah. Possibly.

On the other hand, I have no issue as a Canadian acknowledging that Campbell is one of the best goaltenders in this tournament and the Dallas Stars have a real stud in him.

The only two goalies who give me pause are Campbell and Lehner; the latter of which being a Sens pick I hope plays well.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland

It goes both ways.

But on the topic: I think that Campbell could be the best goalie this year.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I also think it'll be Campbell.

There are a lot of returning goalies from the 2010 WJC - Campbell, Conz, Bobkov, Ortio. It'll be interesting to see how all these players do in this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad