Speculation: Who will be the Sens next captain?

Who will be the Sens next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Humm ... who cares really ... Captain Cream-puff on Team Butter.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think we run alternating A's for a couple of years until FYOUS begins. At which point one of the kids will have established themselves as a true leader of the team.

Reactions: derriko

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Maybe as interesting would be to see peoples criteria for captaincy.

ex:

- Must have played in NHL for at least 5 years
- Must be either top 6 or 1st pair D
- Must be top five scoring on the team
- Makes other players better on the ice.
- Must have been an Assistant Captain in past, on sens or other team.
- Must have played on Sens for at least 3 years
- Must be a player that is locked in for at least another 2 years with sens. (ie: no UFA's on expiring contracts)
- Must have chosen to be in Ottawa. Grew up locally or Signed as FA or Resigned as RFA under good terms (ie: no arbitration hearing), major multi-year local charity investment. Basically something to indicate that they like playing in the market.

Just some examples of things I would look for. Currently, nobody fits that bill and it's 2-3 years before one of the young guns has proven themselves both on/off the ice IMO.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Brady is being groomed for it, and I bet it happens sooner than later.

Hopefully not this season though. Let him wear an "A" and see how he handles it.

2019-20: C (none) A (Pageau, Tkachuk, 2 of Hainsey/Boro/Chabot)
2020-21: C (Tkachuk) A (Chabot, hopefully Pageau)

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Pageau is a model of hardwork and determination, an absolute playoff legend, and a beloved teammate/veteran. If someone like Tkachuk (too young) or Boro (please god no) get the C over him in the next two seasons... its just not right.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if we are going with one next year its probably boro since pageau is most likely going to get traded

it should be brady long term but i would consider chabot if it means that extension gets signed

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Gotta be Tkachuk. You guys heard Dorion's comments about his character? "Hockey royalty" and such. Boucher was saying the exact same things when he was here. One thing they actually agreed on.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Brady is being groomed for it, and I bet it happens sooner than later.

Hopefully not this season though. Let him wear an "A" and see how he handles it.

2019-20: C (none) A (Pageau, Tkachuk, 2 of Hainsey/Boro/Chabot)
2020-21: C (Tkachuk) A (Chabot, hopefully Pageau)

I think this is the obvious answer.

More and more teams seem to be comfortable going without a captain nowadays. No point in giving it to someone like Pageau, who likely won't be with us in 2-3 seasons.

I even think there's a tiny chance Tkachuk gets it this season. Similar to how Landeskog got it in his 2nd season in Colorado.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd pick Pageau as the captain. I would also make sure he is here after his current contract.
I don't agree with pinning the C on kids no matter how good they are on the ice.
Lots of learning to do for Tkachuk on how to be an NHL captain imo.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
As much as I believe Pageau is deserving of a shot at being the Captain, his injury troubles have relegated him to just an after thought on this team. Ideally, you do not name a captain next season and rotate the A's again like last season. I think after this season, it will become more clear as to who it belongs to. The captain's 'C' is not something you deserve but you something you earn, and right now, nobody on this team has earned it yet.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Who do I think SHOULD be versus who I think WILL be. Given the Melnyukaluk's propensity to meddle, I'm going with Boro. Should he be? HELL NO!!!!! my vote would otherwise go to Chabot at this point.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
White might have a shot at it. I'd look at Pageau, but I don't think he's ever really been considered...

Maybe we give it to Hainsey, he'd be a good stop gap option tbh. We wouldn't have to strip him of it to give it to one of the kids when they are ready.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If they go with a captain this year, I'm guessing Hainsey. If they opt to put it off another year, one of White, Tkachuk or Chabot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad