Who will be the last player in top 9 ?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Assuming that Habs won't sign or trade for any other top 9 player, the team is missing 1 winger.

Please rank the player from highest probability to lowest to fill in that spot:

My list:
1. Bournival (Bourque can play RW)
2. Andrighetto
3. Sekac
4. DLR
5. Prust
6. Weise
7. Thomas
8. Scherbak

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Everything, but please, no Bournival. I wouldn't expect offensive output from any line with Bournival in it.

Give it to Sekac, JDLR or Andrighetto, if we sign nobody else.

And people have to stop including Weise in top-9 talks. It's silly.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I imagine this spot will fluctuate throughout the year...

My guess is that Moen, Bournival, Weiss, Prust will all get shots...

But hopefully someone wins a spot out of camp!

My money is on Ghetto or Thomas!

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Assuming that Habs won't sign or trade for any other top 9 player, the team is missing 1 winger.

Please rank the player from highest probability to lowest to fill in that spot:

My list:
2. Andrighetto
3. Sekac
4. DLR
5. Prust
6. Weise
7. Thomas
8. Scherbak

None of the above. MB will add another forward by October.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Unless Bergevin get's a call and get's offered a deal he can't refuse, I don't think we see Bergevin making a move before the season starts. Bournival or Sekac will start there IMO, and If a deal is made, it will be during the season

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
You can penciled Sekac on the Pleks line. Bournival does not have the offense for a top-9 role, De la Rose is too young (and Sekac is better at this point). Andrighetto is the most skilled of the bunch, but his size will hold him back from the starting lineup this year. I believe that he will be called up as a replacement at some point this year though. He will have a better chance next year (2015-2016), but I think he becomes a regular only in 2016-2017.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Sekac
Andrighetto

Bournival

DLR

Weise

Scherbak (not saying he'll play next year with the habs and over Prust though; he just would be a theoretically better fit with Eller than Prust)

Prust (I have prust low because I feel whoever plays with Eller on the 3rd line needs to be MOBILE)

Thomas (The hell is he on this list for :laugh:)

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Everything, but please, no Bournival. I wouldn't expect offensive output from any line with Bournival in it.

Pretty much agree with this. I love Bournival's hustle and speed, but he isn't going to replace the goals Gionta would have given us on that line. I'd like to see Andrighetto get it, to see people flip their **** about a new midget. He's capable of being a nice offensive player for us though.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You're really high on Scherbak I see. I doubt Habs management (this one anyways) goes that route

JDR it will all depend on his camp, but Scherbak IMO anyways, no chance

:laugh: I sure am !

I will see if my assumptions are right when I go to the development camp next week but he seems like a Galchenyuk clone and has the size to play in the NHL to go along with the skill.

Like others have said though he is really raw.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Pretty much agree with this. I love Bournival's hustle and speed, but he isn't going to replace the goals Gionta would have given us on that line.

People might hate me for this but... I don't see what the big deal with Bournival is.

If he starts scoring then he could be a good 3rd liner but for right now he doesn't have the grit to be a fourth liner.

The only thing he has is CHaracter and speed.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
People might hate me for this but... I don't see what the big deal with Bournival is.

If he starts scoring then he could be a good 3rd liner but for right now he doesn't have the grit to be a fourth liner.

Great forechecker, speed creates turnovers. Good on the cycle, can eat up minutes.. just lacks the ability to replace 20 goals.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Great forechecker, speed creates turnovers. Good on the cycle, can eat up minutes.. just lacks the ability to replace 20 goals.

If only he could develop his offensive abilities he would be the perfect third liner.

For the moment he doesn't slot into the 3rd or 4rth line.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I disagree that Bournival can't help an offensive line. He sometimes lacks finish. But he gets to lose pucks first, creates turnovers, and gets the puck to the net. He brought offensive life to the Gionta Plekanec duo.

Having said that, he instantly makes our 4th line an offensive threat (imo he was the straw that stirred the Bournival-Briere-Weise trio that chipped in offense in the playoffs).

I agree that Weise should be in the top 9 on a regular basis.

I hope one of the kids is ready. But I think MB will try to add someone from outside. Anyways the lineup entering the season and going into the playoffs usually looks drastically different.

My list is similar to the OP's:

2. Andrighetto
3. Sekac
4. DLR
5. Weise
6. Prust
7. Dumont
8. Thomas

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I disagree that Bournival can't help an offensive line. He sometimes lacks finish. But he gets to lose pucks first, creates turnovers, and gets the puck to the net. He brought offensive life to the Gionta Plekanec duo.

Having said that, he instantly makes our 4th line an offensive threat (imo he was the straw that stirred the Bournival-Briere-Weise trio that chipped in offense in the playoffs).

I agree that Weise should be in the top 9 on a regular basis.

I hope one of the kids is ready. But I think MB will try to add someone from outside. Anyways the lineup entering the season and going into the playoffs usually looks drastically different.

My list is similar to the OP's:

2. Andrighetto
3. Sekac
4. DLR
5. Weise
6. Prust
7. Dumont
8. Thomas

Bournival "sometimes" lacks finish?!!

I'll just say that; if this kid had any offensive talent at all (just a bit, nothing spectacular), people's opinions of Vanek after the playoffs would've been quite different.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

He's only 22. As he fills out he'll be more of a physical presence on the boards.

As for his offence. There is a ceiling no doubt. But let's wait till he's 25 to see what it is. In the mean time, as stated by others, his speed and hustle to loose pucks has made him a very effective 4th liner, our best imo.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
*Assuming the rest of the 3rd line is Bourque - Eller

1) Sekac - Barring a horrid camp, I think just by virtue of leaving Russia he will get a shot with the big club. He's my odds on favorite to start as our 3rd RW.

2) Bournival - Should be a lock to make the club as a 4th liner 13th Forward. He has the speed and forecheck to play on the 3rd line, just not the finish.

3) Weise - If everyone bombs, I think Weise can slot in and play on the 3rd line. It's certainly not ideal, and maybe a trade will have to be made if none of the first 3 can crack that final spot.

4) Prust - I really don't think he has it left in him. But he's a lock to make the team so by that virtue he's probably ahead of guys like De La Rose, Andrighetto, etc.

5) De La Rose - Will have to have a great camp, but I can see him impressing and being able to play a 3rd line type role. Seems to have similar issues to Bournival in that he lacks that top end finishing ability.

6) Andrighetto - We are now into exceptional camp territory. Ideally I think his skill set is better for the 3rd line than Weise, especially if he's paired with Bourque and Eller, but I'm not convinced he's ready to make the transition after only one season in the AHL.

7) Scherbak - Young, Skilled, High hockey IQ, develops and adjusts very quickly. If he can bulk up a bit over the summer and show up to camp with NHL size, he could surprise and really challenge for this spot. But by virtue of being 18 he's obviously near the bottom of the liklihood list.

8) Moen - I think his tank is empty. Even though, barring trade, he's a lock to be on the NHL roster, I don't see him being above the 4th line or 13/14 Forward spot.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
You're really high on Scherbak I see. I doubt Habs management (this one anyways) goes that route

JDR it will all depend on his camp, but Scherbak IMO anyways, no chance

And "this one anyways" means exactly? If there is a managament of the Habs that has given a fair chance to the prospects is this one: Chucky, Gally, Bourni, Tokarski....do I need to say more?

I don't get some people's comments....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad