Who will be the franchise face?

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France
After the 2009 draft, we were according to say Duchene would be the face of the franchise for the next 10 years to come.
In 2011, we drafted Landy and, even if he is a beast when on top of his game and a warrior, Matt was still the best player.

However, with the selection of MacKinnon, is it still the case? Obviously Matt will still be the best player and the franchise's face for the upcoming season, but how will it go in 2 years? Can it become a problem in the long term? Any ego problem?

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Of the 3 guys in question I don't see them having an ego problem.

If it was Jones, it could be an issue he came across as having a big ego.

Don't think it'll be an issue

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France
Of the 3 guys in question I don't see them having an ego problem.

If it was Jones, it could be an issue he came across as having a big ego.

Don't think it'll be an issue

Yep, choosing MacKinnon seems to be a little better every day. But talking about Jones' ego, can we have the problem with ROR?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Jones having an ego? :shakehead

I guess all of the reports that were put out on him, among those our own Renegade Stylings, saying that he's humble but confident, were wrong?

I guess confidence in your game is now having an ego.

Dion Phaneuf has an ego, Patrick Kane has an ego. Those guys, while talented, show their cockiness and ego off the ice just as much on it.

But I guess it's not enough (for some) that we didn't draft Jones, we've got to take unnecessary pot-shots at him as well?

Last edited:

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France

I guess all of the reports that were put out on him, among those our own Renegade Stylings, saying that he's humble but confident, were wrong?

Dion Phaneuf has an ego, Patrick Kane has an ego. Those guys, while talented, show their cockiness and ego off the ice just as much on it.

But I guess it's not enough (for some) that we didn't draft Jones, we've got to take unnecessary pot-shots at him as well?

Can't remember who said it but I saw on the forum that the guy thought he could do what Lidström was able to do on the ice. If it's really it, the guy has at least a very nice vision of himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Can't remember who said it but I saw on the forum that the guy thought he could do what Lidstrom was able to do on the ice. If it's really it, the guy has at least a very nice vision of himself.

Not even close to what he said.

He tries to model his game after Lidstrom, I do not recall hearing him ever say that he can "do what Lidstrom was able to do on the ice".

Scouts and Hockey Reporters have said that his Hockey IQ is very high, which they then liken him to having the potential to perform like Lidstrom in the Defensive zone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I guess all of the reports that were put out on him, among those our own Renegade Stylings, saying that he's humble but confident.

As a person who wanted Jones, the ego shot is merited. The kid is cocky. Remember his WJC statements?

Personally, I don't mind having a cocky player as long as they can back it up, so I don't think it is a bad thing.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Can't remember who said it but I saw on the forum that the guy thought he could do what Lidström was able to do on the ice. If it's really it, the guy has at least a very nice vision of himself.

Let's not be naive, please! Anybody can write anything in an internet forum. You shouldn't take it as prove of anything.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As a person who wanted Jones, the ego shot is merited. The kid is cocky. Remember his WJC statements?

Personally, I don't mind having a cocky player as long as they can back it up, so I don't think it is a bad thing.

That they were going to win, and then they did? Yes, that's incredibly cocky.

“I think we're the best team," Seth Jones told TSN. "We have a lot of speed up front, we're great defensively and we have good goaltending so I think we have all the pieces to win the gold medal."

"That's just confidence," said Jones, a top NHL draft prospect in 2013 who currently plays in the WHL with the Portland Winterhawks. "We can hang with any team here to be honest with you. There's not much another team can do to really take us off our game."

He backed up his statements, I don't see anything wrong with that, but that's just my opinion.

Regardless, this isn't a discussion on Seth Jones and whether he has an ego/is cocky or not, we're (and I'm included) are hijacking this thread, let's get it back on track, shall we?

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
That they were going to win, and then they did? Yes, that's incredibly cocky.

He backed up his statements, I don't see anything wrong with that, but that's just my opinion.

Regardless, this isn't a discussion on Seth Jones and whether he has an ego/is cocky or not, we're (and I'm included) are hijacking this thread, let's get it back on track, shall we?

If you don't think he's cocky and arrogant now, check out his interview with the Blue Jackets. When he compares himself to Lidstrom, he doesn't talk about wanting to rise to that level. No, the Almighty Seth Jones talks about what he does better than Lidstrom.

Frankly, it's hard not to laugh at him when he's talking about it. Especially considering how he looked the fool in the CHL playoffs.

Here's the link http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=635&id=261084

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog/Duchene/MacKinnon.

Landeskog is captain, plays hockey the right way, has a very marketable look and interviews well.

Duchene and MacKinnon have that speed and skill that's always going to attract fans.

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France
If you don't think he's cocky and arrogant now, check out his interview with the Blue Jackets. When he compares himself to Lidstrom, he doesn't talk about wanting to rise to that level. No, the Almighty Seth Jones talks about what he does better than Lidstrom.

Frankly, it's hard not to laugh at him when he's talking about it. Especially considering how he looked the fool in the CHL playoffs.

Here's the link http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=635&id=261084

Thank you, that's what I was talking about.

avalanchuck

Jun 29, 2006
Denver, CO
C'mon we all know who the face of the franchise was for that first Cup run...

Mike-Ricci.jpg

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd still say Duchene. He has that will to win and clearly loves being an Av plus is one of the most fun players to watch in the league even if MacKinnon ends up being better. Really likable guy too.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Sakic was always considered the face as captain.

I think it'll be Duchene though.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I feel like Landeskog is a bit of a forgotten man and when he beasts it this year, it'll be every bit a 3-headed monster.

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
It's still Matt Duchene. After him it'll be MacKinnon. Gabe has the right face, right attitude but not the talent these two have.

As long as none of the players are ego-maniacs, it really makes no difference who it is in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad