Who Will be the Caps' Best Defenseman in the 14/15 Season?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Can anyone shed some light on the work of Trotz in Nashville WRT rapidly developing young defensemen; bringing out offense from more of a DD guy, anything of note ?

He did a fine job with Jones last year, but Jones was already an exceptional physical talent, so I'm not sure how much credit Trotz gets. He made undersized Ryan Ellis into a decent NHLer, but Ellis hasn't reached the offensive potential he showed in juniors.

ryan519*

carlson, with alzner as a close second. love how young they both are too

everytime i look at alzner i forget hes only 25, he looks way older

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm really curious to see what Trotz can pull out of Schmidt and Bowey. I think he turns them into solid NHL players.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
been a long time since green missed almost 50% of the games. but it looks good in print

Hope you're correct, doubt you will be.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4600

In 30 years of watching the game Mike Green is one of, if not the, softest defensman I have ever seen.

Don't tell me EVERYTIME he goes in the corner or is racing after a puck with a forward perusing you don't expect him to get injured.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hope you're correct, doubt you will be.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4600

In 30 years of watching the game Mike Green is one of, if not the, softest defensman I have ever seen.

Don't tell me EVERYTIME he goes in the corner or is racing after a puck with a forward perusing you don't expect him to get injured.

I understand some anti Mike Green stuff. Some of that I even think is accurate. But a lot of it is just over the top. Like this. Green played 70 of the team's 82 games last season. He played 42 of the teams 55 games the season before including all of the playoff games.

The repaired groin injury was the main reason he missed large parts of the two previous seasons. Again...the guy misses 10 or 15 games and he is always injured? cant play half the games even?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The demands Trotz is going to put on Green will kill him for sure. ;). I predict he has his most injury riddled season ever.

Once again let me say I hope I am wrong on this.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Schmidt is going to be a good player. Bowey is probably a couple of seasons away.

Agree completely. I also can't wait to see what Trotz can do for Patrick Wey and Carrick. The Caps may not have a true number one D prospect (Bowey is the closest) but they have some decent potential 2-5 guys.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I am very anxious to see what and established coach who can teach and stress team defense can do with this team. I don't see Green have a career offensive year but I actually think if he can stay healthy he can learn to be a much more consistent and reliable defenseman.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am very anxious to see what and established coach who can teach and stress team defense can do with this team. I don't see Green have a career offensive year but I actually think if he can stay healthy he can learn to be a much more consistent and reliable defenseman.

If Green plays 70 games, he can lead the NHL defensemen in points and goals. Weber is among the leaders in that category. Green's offensive numbers will only be limited by games played and ice time/assignment.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I beg to differ.

After the Yzerman snub, Green stopped joining the rush. Bruce requested that he bring more offense once again, and he seemingly flat out refused to. Green focused on defense and ignored his coach. Rather disturbing, but Bruce said it and I believe it. It was easy to see.

So when he sets his mind to playing defense, the requests of the coaches fall on deaf ears.

He has all the skill in the world. TOI will be there in a long ass season. What's left?

It's what's between his ears, more than anything else.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If Green plays 70 games, he can lead the NHL defensemen in points and goals. Weber is among the leaders in that category. Green's offensive numbers will only be limited by games played and ice time/assignment.

Last year that would've been 75 points in 70 games (actual production: 38 points in 70 games -so about a 100% improvement). Color me skeptical.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last year that would've been 75 points in 70 games (actual production: 38 points in 70 games -so about a 100% improvement). Color me skeptical.

shock and surprise. of course the comment was based on trotz rather than oates.

put green back on the first pp unit where he should have been for the second half of the season and he is well above 38pts. Green already lead the team in even strength points.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
shock and surprise. of course the comment was based on trotz rather than oates.

put green back on the first pp unit where he should have been for the second half of the season and he is well above 38pts. Green already lead the team in even strength points.

Is anyone else going to see a 100% production bump under offensive dynamo Barry Trotz?

Liberati0n*

Is anyone else going to see a 100% production bump under offensive dynamo Barry Trotz?

I'm not saying that'll happen, but Trotz is known for getting production out of defensemen, and he's emphasized his desire to get the Capitals' defense more involved in the offense (and made some comments about how uninvolved they were under Oates).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not saying that'll happen, but Trotz is known for getting production out of defensemen, and he's emphasized his desire to get the Capitals' defense more involved in the offense (and made some comments about how uninvolved they were under Oates).

is is the point. The Green "skeptic" wants to conclude that 38pts is because Green cant do more. This comment about how much the defense was uninvolved in the offense is backed up in specific to Green by Oates' comments that he didn't need Green to provide offense.

seems clear to me that Green's offensive ceiling is far higher than what Oates was allowing Green to produce.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
The key for Green will be keeping him healthy.

With 6 guys that can all play 20 minutes a night...they should be able to work favorable matchups to do just that.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
With the added defensive help Green will be allowed to play his game and will have a big year.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I predict Laich, Orlov, Wilson, Kuznetsov, Latta, and Hillen all see at least a 100% production improvement on their numbers from last season... ;)

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad