News Article: Who will be the backup goalie next year behind Igor?

Khall9

Apr 28, 2021
One of the big questions facing the Rangers this offseason is who will backup Igor Shesterkin next season. It will not be Alexandar Georgiev. Who will be sharing the goalie duties?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
If you listen to Overdrive you know two things...

1. Georgiev is a very good tender.
2. You need 3 capable goalies

So if Georgiev is leaving then the return better be worth it and we better have legit answers to replace. Having said that, if he's part of the Tyler Johnson trade that is a win win for both clubs.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Can't argue with that article right there. They hit all the realistic options that the Rangers have to look at for backup. I think Comrie might get a shot somewhere for a little more money in one of the markets looking for a starter like Arizona, Buffalo, San Jose, maybe Anaheim if they trade Gibson.

I like Wedgewood, Kinkaid or Lindgren. Though Lindgren might get a bit more money and a shot somewhere else. I like Wedgewood and Kinkaid cause they will likely come in at league minimum which the Rangers need every penny.

Reactions: Khall9

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If you listen to Overdrive you know two things...

1. Georgiev is a very good tender.
2. You need 3 capable goalies

So if Georgiev is leaving then the return better be worth it and we better have legit answers to replace. Having said that, if he's part of the Tyler Johnson trade that is a win win for both clubs.
Wait, what? Why on earth would we be trading for Johnson? Guy is completely washed up and still has 2 years at 5M?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK about the rest of those guys, but I would not characterize Huska as having played "very well" the last two years on Hartford. He was "very okay" if you ask me, and sometimes really struggled. Similarly, Keith Kinkaid had some nice moments, but also looked terrible at times--and not just because he was left out to dry.

I wouldn't want either of those guys anywhere near the Rangers next year except in an emergency capacity. Kinkaid seems to like it in the organization so he may agree to stay if the Rangers want him, but I would expect Huska to leave.

Reactions: 17futurecap

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
With his current success in the A, maybe they look to bring in Charlie Lindgren to be the Wolfpack's starter/3G for the NHL in the Kinkaid role? I've seen people suggest him as the backup to Igor but I'm not sure that's the best idea, but as organizational depth - could be intriguing.

Kinkaid sucks ass so any plan with him being Igor's backup isn't based in reality. Kinkaid is terrible and it would be terrible, especially considering Igor's penchant for injuries, to go into the season with him at 2 on our organizational depth chart for goalies.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Holtby 1 year 1.5 million, made a bunch of money in his career, gets a solid backup workload here, and a chance for his second ring. If Igor goes down for a month, you know he can handle a starters workload.

No interest in AHL fodder being the backup.

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
No trust in Georgiev whatsoever. Just hoping second goalie will be at least competent.

Halak sound bad ? He knows how to do it, but can his body do it anymore. Not really sure about that. If someone can revive some of that old magic its Allaire.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Wait, what? Why on earth would we be trading for Johnson? Guy is completely washed up and still has 2 years at 5M?
Chicago is gonna eat half the money. And there will be other pieces. Nemeth, pack your S. And we will put him riding shotgun with bread. Synergy is back. And we will put him in the bumper spot on the PP1. Elite power play, keep it humming. It's a no brainer.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Chicago is gonna eat half the money. And there will be other pieces. Nemeth, pack your S. And we will put him riding shotgun with bread. Synergy is back. And we will put him in the bumper spot on the PP1. Elite power play, keep it humming. It's a no brainer.
You realize you are talking about Tyler Johnson right? This guy has been on a massive decline for years and last year was barely even an NHLer. We aren't bringing him in to play with bread and on the first PP unit. Even for 2.5M.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
You realize you are talking about Tyler Johnson right? This guy has been on a massive decline for years and last year was barely even an NHLer. We aren't bringing him in to play with bread and on the first PP unit. Even for 2.5M.
He is to the royal road as Steph is to the 3 pt/pace and space revolution. Everyone in the game knows we are on the precipice of a massive adaptation. The current game is gonna be unrecognizable in the not so distant future.

I don't believe he is washed and I believe in the person a ton, but even if he is washed, I'm bringing him in for the intellectual property alone. And again, the deal is gonna be more complex than just TyJo. You will love it for all that it is.

• Wow
Reactions: DanishRanger

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca