Who will be our biggest surprise as a prospect?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Inspired by leeroggy's thread, who do you guys think is a prospect who could really come out of no where? Last year, an argument could be made that Pokka was that prospect year, so who has a shot of doing that this year?

I'm going with Sorokin.

Maybe we should do a poll?

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Mayfield.

He's gonna learn how to be a beast and use his body/size.

Why? Beats the hell outta me.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Inspired by leeroggy's thread, who do you guys think is a prospect who could really come out of no where? Last year, an argument could be made that Pokka was that prospect year, so who has a shot of doing that this year?

I'm going with Sorokin.

Like the idea of a poll and of course everyone can comment on their choice.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yeah I like Sorokin for this.

I'm talking about a prospect just taking his development to a new level. Not someone who could surpise on the big club. I suppose Czuczman woud still qualify though if he stays in Bridgeport.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I'm talking about a prospect just taking his development to a new level. Not someone who could surpise on the big club. I suppose Czuczman woud still qualify though if he stays in Bridgeport.

Yeah I agree.

19yo kid who hasn't yet grown into his body, and he wasn't really on anyone's radar before this season (as far as I know). Now he looks like he is about to put up impressive numbers in the KHL (granted with only a 2-game sample size).

We've had a few visits from folks who actually follow the KHL all saying he is really someone to look out for. So yeah I agree he is a good bet to make a big step forward.

iONiONiON

Jul 31, 2014
Bay Shore
im gonna say Collberg. i don't know much about him but he will get ice time in Bridgeport and im curious to see what he can do.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
UPDATE: I put in a poll, and allowed you guys to vote for more than one player. Maybe we can tally up the votes and the end and see who got the most for each postion? (we can do two defensemen)

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I voted Collberg, Sutter, and Toews.

Collberg: I think we all wrote him off a little too fast just because he was acquired for Vanek. I think he can become a Justin Williams type of player, and I think we'll see him have some offense this season with Bridgeport.

Sutter: Just see him being a solid center for the Sound Tigers, and maybe getting a call up to be the 4th line center if anyone gets hurt.

Toews: With Quinnipiac losing their top defenseman, Toews has to take on a bigger role. He can be a top-2 defenseman on this team, and really generate more offense. I heard the freshmen we got were very good scorers to make up for the Jones twins (lost to graduating and went to OKC).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
My votes..

Center: Viktor Crus Rydberg - I think he'll get some good minutes with some good players (Sonny Milano CBJ 1st rounder was on his line in the preseason)

LW: Cammarata - The skill is there, he just needs to continue to get stronger and become a better skater

RW: Ho-Sang - I think he's realizing the adjustments he needs to make to play NHL hockey one day

D1: Jesse Graham - It's very possible that he could get stuck behind a log jam, but the kid is a better skater than Pulock and Pokka and put up points in a brief stint in the AHL at the end of last year. He just needs to bulk up and learn to play defense at the pro level (Thompson)

D2: Devon Toews - This is a homer pick because I go to Quinnipiac, plain and simple :laugh:

Goalie: Sorokin - A 35+ save shutout the other night in the KHL as a 19 year intrigues me

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I'm going with Sorokin.

I went with him as well..Hes playing against men in a pro league holding his own. He looks very athletic and aggressive. Reminds me of a young SJ Nabby.

Ilya "got the glove to thrill ya" Sorokin

Cant go with Reinhart Pulock Pokka Dal Colle Ho-Sang because they are highly regarded and really wont surprise any of us if they reach high levels.I think with the 1st rounders even though they can bust there are still high expectations for them.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Sorokin - For reasons outlined above.

Strome - Because I think he will really step up this season based on how he finished last season. I'm projecting him in our top-5 pp60 (even-strength), and if I'm really feeling saucy at #3 pp60 behind only Tavares and Okie. I mean the guy made cMcdonald and Martin into a scoring line last season!

Big Griff - People are expecting a lot from him, but if he can step in as a solid 2nd-pairing guy that would be a big step up from last season IMO. Gotta remember he hasn't even seen the AHL yet. I think he can do it though, based mostly on the handful of games I've seen him in and the gushing praise of blinkman.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Went with three,

1-Kyle Burroughs-going to take a flyer on a long shot, who was a 7th round pick in 2013 and will play his last junior season. Like several other recent picks, a team captain. He doesn't do anything that stands out, he's just a very solid all around defenseman. Though Burroughs is not big, he can play physical and the few fights he's been in he can handle himself.

2-Ilya Sorokin-seems to be a favorite pick here and not really knowing him, this is more of a hunch and after watching a few clips, like the way he moves and his quickness.

3-Sebastien Collberg-now that he is going to play in Bridgeport time to find out about him. The prospect list was thin on RW. With the drafting of JHS and if Collberg can develop into a second liner who can score some goals the position will be in good shape.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I went with Cammarata. He is sort of under the radar now but I see him getting a PPG at least this year

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
I voted for Halmo. Yes, I know he has a low ceiling. I also think he almost certainly will reach his ceiling and be a useful fourth liner. Players like Halmo should make it easier for us to waive players like McDonald because we'll have decent replacements waiting in the wings.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I went with him as well..Hes playing against men in a pro league holding his own. He looks very athletic and aggressive. Reminds me of a young SJ Nabby.

Ilya "got the glove to thrill ya" Sorokin

Cant go with Reinhart Pulock Pokka Dal Colle Ho-Sang because they are highly regarded and really wont surprise any of us if they reach high levels.I think with the 1st rounders even though they can bust there are still high expectations for them.

I prefer, Ilya "Stick Pokin'" Sorokin.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Pelech. Now reported to have filled out to 6'3: 220 and can skate.
Pelech will be in the bottom pairing as a shutdown defenseman with some offensive upside within 2 years or less. He and Mayfield will battle for that spot for a number of years and both could make a place for themselves as regulars in a stacked contingent.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
reading this, i am really pumped!

bring on the season already!! :)

Burroughs. a real character kid.

Sorokin, for obvious reasons.

Pelech. maybe won't be a top pairing, but will prove to be very valuable.

Persson. will shock with a good season statistically, given the chance. i just love his all around game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad