Who will be new Flames head coach if Gulutzan's fired?

MoneyHands95

Oct 7, 2017
Calgary
With a team that SHOULD have been much better, but has also hosted many career highs for core players, it seems as though a lot of the functional mess that is the 2017-18 season is being blamed on the coach.

If (and hopefully so) the flames go out and acquire a new head coach and/or new coaching staff completely, who do you believe would be a good fit in Calgary? I believe a lot of the players are still great, but there is no internal leadership, motivation, or direction in the locker room and that comes from the coaches side.

For starters, I would like to mention that Joel Quenneville could be a nice fit having handled a pairing similar to Johnny and Monahan in Toews and Kane, and knows how to utilize a younger skilled team as the flames are right now. All I know is a little playoff persistence, experience, and familiarity would help this team a lot. I don't know too much about coaches around the league or whats available, but I wouldn't mind bringing Sutter in as a coach again either. The man sucked as a GM for them, but as a coach, I think a hardass player optimizer couldn't hurt here either!

What do you guys think? Are there better fits or potentials? Ryan Huska from the Flames AHL affiliate Stockton Heat is a cheap try as well, but he is a players coach too and... well... you get it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, I assume Burke/Trevling will go after an experienced coach.

Ron Wilson would be hilarious

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He hasn't been let go yet, but it would be ridiculous if he somehow has a job here after these past 2 seasons.
I agree but the thread title made it sound like a done deal.

I'd wait to see if one of either Quenville or Trotz become available. And then there's Ryan Huska in Stockton.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Wouldn't be surprised if the Flames took a hard look at Dave Tippett ...obviously the Coyotes connection is there between him and Teiliving

Reactions: north49er

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if the Flames took a hard look at Dave Tippett ...obviously the Coyotes connection is there between him and Teiliving
Probably not happening, Treliving was Don Maloney's guy in Phoenix and Tippett basically ran DM out of town IIRC. Also I think Maloney is currently employed by the Flames.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Joe Q
Alain V
Barry T
Dale Hunter

That’s my list of hopefuls. But we likely end up with some AHL assistant knowing our ownership.

Jagr4President

Nov 16, 2017
Calgary
Quenneville or Sutter would be amazing for Calgary but we also have to do a full house cleansing (minus Gelinas) also get huska as a assistant coach for a year or two to get some experience at the NHL level.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
If Gully is back again nex season, a lot of fans are going to be angry. We need an expierenced coach. Not a rookie coach who has been mediocre everywhere he has been before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad