Who was the most undeserving Vezina winner in the last 10 seasons?

Who was the most undeserving Vezina winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Every site that measures shot quality puts Rask’s ‘14 well behind the leaders that season. I think Boston’s system helped save percentage and it wasn’t his best year despite the Vezina. Holtby would probably be my number 2, though I think he was better the following year. Lol at the votes for Price. Literally the most obvious Vezina in this time. Hellebuyck is a bit ridiculous as well. It wasn’t a particularly strong Vezina but he was very clearly the best that year among weak competition. I think Fleury’s reputation and recency is hurting him here too. There was a couple guys who could have won, but he was right there with them. I think people are voting for the strength of the season rather than whether they should have won, which seems an odd way of measuring deserving

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Vasilevsky, pretty easily.

He was 6th in sv% and 9th in GAA on a power house team. A very pedestrian .925/2.40

Bishop was 1st in sv% at .934 and 2nd in GAA at 1.99 and 1st in GSAA with 32

There's no goaltending metric that says Vasilevsky deserved it over Bishop.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Vasilevsky, pretty easily.

He was 6th in sv% and 9th in GAA on a power house team. A very pedestrian .925/2.40

Bishop was 1st in sv% at .934 and 2nd in GAA at 1.99 and 1st in GSAA with 32

There's no goaltending metric that says Vasilevsky deserved it over Bishop.
Bishop also had 46 games played. You're not gonna get the Vezina with that.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Jim Carey 1995-96

In last ten years, probably Lundqvist, Holtby or Hellebuyck. Hard to hold anything from 2020-21 against anyone as it wasn't a real season.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don’t think any of them were undeserving. There were some years that other goalies could have won and would have been deserving, but I think I agree with every winner here.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Brodeur played more games, had more shutouts and a better save percentage. Also more than a decade ago.

Off topic (you're right, it was more than a decade ago), but Luongo had a higher save percentage than Brodeur at ES, on the PK, and on the PP. But the Devils were a much more disciplined team and Luongo faced a greater proportion of shots while his team was shorthanded.

In other words - despite Luongo stopping the puck more effectively than Brodeur in all three situations, he had a lower save percentage overall because the Devils were much more disciplined than the Canucks and spent less time on the PK.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Probably 2014 Rask or 2013 Bob. Both played well, but did so behind strong defensive teams. No one stands out as an egregious pick though.

MAF last season is, quite frankly, a bad pick. He was 2nd among starters in sv%, he vastly outplayed a legit starter in Lehner, and he was third among starters in GSAx, despite playing 6 and 9 games less than #1 and #2. He was great last season and deserved the Vezina.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Thats because the GMs vote on it and not a bunch of journalists with narratives and biases.

Not even sure the journalists even have a narrative, or bias. A lot of them are just dumb/lazy.

My choice would be Rask I guess ? Great system, but even then you still need a goalie to make the big saves.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm gonna say Rask's in 14. Not that I think he's super undeserving, but the season Varly had is really overlooked as far as goalie seasons go I think. He had some stupid good numbers behind a defense that is genuinely one of the worst(at least on name recognition) that's been assembled in recent memory. The fact that he also finished 4th for the Hart reinforces this point.

Last edited:

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Every site that measures shot quality puts Rask’s ‘14 well behind the leaders that season. I think Boston’s system helped save percentage and it wasn’t his best year despite the Vezina. Holtby would probably be my number 2, though I think he was better the following year. Lol at the votes for Price. Literally the most obvious Vezina in this time. Hellebuyck is a bit ridiculous as well. It wasn’t a particularly strong Vezina but he was very clearly the best that year among weak competition. I think Fleury’s reputation and recency is hurting him here too. There was a couple guys who could have won, but he was right there with them. I think people are voting for the strength of the season rather than whether they should have won, which seems an odd way of measuring deserving
This.
If you look at the fancy stats, it's Holtby, Rask and Vasilevsky (Vasilevsky has improved since the vezina though and would be my pick if I had to pick a goalie to build an NHL team).

Fleury was one of the top 3 goalies last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad