OT: Who was the better defenseman: Stevens or Niedermayer?

Who was the better defenseman?

• Total voters

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
From a Devils fan to Devils fans - Im curious who is seen as the better defender

Stevens is my choice and the reason my favorite number is 4

Niedermayer though had the better stats in the second half of their careers

Who would you choose?

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Perhaps off topic wasnt the best choice for a label but I didnt know what else to choose so :/

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
they were different styles, I loved both of them when they played for us, a lot of Scott Stevens qualities went less noticed, but overall he was the best D-man I have ever watched, Nieds was great in his own right, his skating and offensive abilities were great (and noticed)
although Scott Stevens offense was damn good in the early 90's too

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think if you let me have either one at their very best then I’d take Stevens.

I think people would be surprised that Stevens had 3 season with more goals then Niedermayer ever had in a season; only 1 of those 3 in the 80s.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Like CD said, Stevens by a mile, but in the context of how the league was back then, his skill set fit perfectly. Big, hard hitting and extremely sound in his own zone, never mind taking into account the sheer terror he could instill into forwards crossing the blue line. I'd like to think the intimidation factor went a long way as well as his leadership skills, perfect player at the right time in how the game was played.

In todays game Neids would have the edge with his offense and skating ability. Just a sublime skater that could diffuse and shut down plays and go the other way with ease. His skating allowed him to do anything he wanted.

Both players put their offensive games on the shelf under Lemaire. Neids would be racking up a good amount of points now and people would be going gaga over his style of play. On that note, it often gets overlooked that Stevens put up some great numbers early on and was no slouch in that department at all.

Reactions: JimEIV

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Like CD said, Stevens by a mile, but in the context of how the league was back then, his skill set fit perfectly. Big, hard hitting and extremely sound in his own zone, never mind taking into account the sheer terror he could instill into forwards crossing the blue line. I'd like to think the intimidation factor went a long way as well as his leadership skills, perfect player at the right time in how the game was played.

In todays game Neids would have the edge with his offense and skating ability. Just a sublime skater that could diffuse and shut down plays and go the other way with ease. His skating allowed him to do anything he wanted.

Both players put their offensive games on the shelf under Lemaire. Neids would be racking up a good amount of points now and people would be going gaga over his style of play. On that note, it often gets overlooked that Stevens put up some great numbers early on and was no slouch in that department at all.

i know ive done it before in haste also but……its nieds, not neids….. :thumbu:

Reactions: JK3

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is upsetting to me...Scott Stevens was a transformational player. While Niedermayer was a spectacular player he couldn't and never did change a game the way Stevens could and did on numerous occasions. This is like comparing Ragnar to Odin.

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Seriously though people forget how offensively gifted Stevens was and how that seemingly was an afterthought when he got here. He was an absolute stud in every sense of the word in his early years.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Seriously though people forget how offensively gifted Stevens was and how that seemingly was an afterthought when he got here. He was an absolute stud in every sense of the word in his early years.
Trust me, in 1993-1994 everyone was very aware! But after that he made the conscious choice to be the stalwart instead, and it's that Stevens that people remember.

Reactions: JimEIV

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
He had 78 points his 3rd year in NJ, 18 goals/60 assists ...thats no afterthought, I wish our forwards now were producing 78 points per...

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Trust me, in 1993-1994 everyone was very aware! But after that he made the conscious choice to be the stalwart instead, and it's that Stevens that people remember.
He had 78 points his 3rd year in NJ, 18 goals/60 assists ...thats no afterthought, I wish our forwards now were producing 78 points per...
I meant as a whole for casual fans most just know him as a heavy hitting beast not a guy who would put up 75-80 points while breaking your face.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad