Who was more notorious in their sport? The Bad Boy Pistons or the Broad Street Bullies?

More notorious franchise? Bad Boy Pistons or Broad Street Bullies?

• Bad Boy Pistons

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Broad Street Bullies

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Both of these teams have a lot in common. The Bad Boy era Pistons of the NBA and the Broad Street Bullies of the 1970s. Both were tough teams who played dirty but backed it up and also had a lot of skill to go with it. Both teams would swarm their opponents and backed each other up. Both were known for strong defenses. Isiah Thomas is to the Pistons what Bobby Clarke would be to the Flyers. Both teams knocked off a legendary team on their way to their championships and took the baton from them. With the Pistons you could argue this happened twice with them. In 1988 they knocked off Bird and the Celtics in the semis and the Celtics championship teams were finished after that. Then they nearly beat the Lakers in the 1988 final but then hammered them in the 1989 final as they were trying to threepeat. Thus ending the reign Magic and the Lakers had. The Flyers beat the favoured Bruins in 1974 as they were trying to get 3 Cups in 5 years. And that was the end of the Orr/Espo Bruins.

Both teams won back to back and I would say both did it against good competition. And both teams lost to the up and coming dynasty that they had to pass the torch to. Pistons finally losing to Jordan's Bulls and the Flyers losing to the Habs in 1976. I think the only difference is that the Flyers were still a contender for a few years after that while the Pistons went on a steep decline after 1991.

Both teams the head office of the league hated. Jordan in 1991 stated that the Pistons losing was good for basketball and in 1976 there was a bit of a good vs. evil battle with the Habs vs. the Flyers. Sort of an unspoken support for Montreal that I am sure if you strapped Clarence Campbell up to a polygraph he'd have wanted the Habs to win rather than see a Philly threepeat.

So which franchise was more hated in their primes? Both had nicknames that they embraced. I will say this, the grudges that Jordan has towards Isiah and the Pistons to this day is ongoing. I don't think Orr or Esposito or Lafleur or Dryden or Robinson have that sort of animosity towards Bobby Clarke or Bill Barber. Put it this way, even in the 1976 Canada Cup there were Flyers, Bruins and Habs in there and it worked out fine. Orr wasn't trying to keep Clarke from being on the team. However, it is widely known that Jordan's influence helped keep Isiah Thomas off of the 1992 Dream Team based on how the Pistons would try to hurt him. And if you ever hear an interview with someone such as Bill Laimbeer, you can still hear the resentment he has towards the Bulls. And Jordan still has resentment towards the Pistons. I don't see that with the Broad Street Bullies to this day, although like the Pistons they seem like a uniquely united bunch whenever you see them interviewed. But I get the feeling that even though teams hated the Flyers they still sort of liked them and respected them. They had talent, they had Hall of Famers, and they had good defense and were well coached. Ditto for the Pistons, they were a great team, but I get the feeling that if the NBA had their way they'd have wanted a nice smooth transition from the Lakers/Celtics teams of the 1980s to pass the baton onto the Bulls into the 1990s, not have the Pistons ruin that party and shake the league up.

Anyway, what is your call?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Pistons.

The Flyers at least did it while playing hockey.

The Pistons turned games into fights by intentionally hitting people and under the guise of "they can't call everything"

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Broad street bullies.

NHL teams adapted their play to battle them more.

The NBA changed the rules so teams built like the Pistons had a harder time and guys like Jordan wouldn’t get hacked as much without penalty.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't follow basketball but IMO it's a more raw vibe brawling in shorts and a tank top, than in full RoboCop gear trying to balance on skates.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pistons.

The Flyers at least did it while playing hockey.

The Pistons turned games into fights by intentionally hitting people and under the guise of "they can't call everything"
Flyers actually fought and hit opponent in the head many times with an array of different types of punches

I don't follow basketball but IMO it's a more raw vibe brawling in shorts and a tank top, than in full RoboCop gear trying to balance on skates.
Brawling LoL u mean slapping

Krigsgaldr

Jul 25, 2011
Lexington Kentucky
I voted the Bullies … I actually grew up a pistons fan in those days . My dad absolutely loved the Pistons and all Detroit teams . I was a kid so I didn’t really so much realize how dirty they really were til later because lol .. I was much more a hockey fan so to me what they did didn’t exactly seem so dirty .
However idk I feel like if you asked a number of people who was dirtier you’d still get the Broad Street bullies as the answer of the two that you’d get most often .

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Pistons. Hockey is intrinsically more of a physical sport, so being overly aggressive in hockey is less shocking in comparison to basketball, even recognizing that a load more violence occurs in hockey than basketball.

Plus, the Pistons were viewed as the antagonists and final thing to overcome for the 90's Chicago Bulls with Jordan, aka pretty much the most popular team in professional basketball history and the largest individual contributors to the overall global popularity of the game.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

julius-erving-larry-bird.jpg

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Despite both the Jordan and being more recent factor, it seem to me like the broad street bullies, but that could simply be because I have followed hockey more and Serge Savard Canadians was the team that achieve to go over them.

Bobby Clark being the manager, Ron Hextall in goals they cultivated that aura at least until the late 90s I feel like, it was more cultivate into the team culture for decades, while the Piston seem more like a closed smaller window in time.

Will the Piston still in the imaginary in 15 years like the Flyers are now ? Jordan could make it possible.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I like the dialogue, and I don't disagree with it. I didn't vote simply because I couldn't decide quite yet. I will say that as physical of a sport as hockey is, there was still something called the "Philly Flu" or "Spectrum Flu" where players came down with a "flu" all of the sudden when playing in Philly and not wanting to play against their tough guys. I know the Pistons got in Jordan's head (to this day).

One thing is certain, both sports have gotten very soft and it gets more shocking - especially to young fans - by the year when people see old clips of the NBA from the 1980s and the NHL from the 1970s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad