• Hazard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
You're insane... He has no business winning. Revisionist history at its finest.

Went to go find old posts to prove I'm not being revisionist, but they got lost in the platform move. Alack. Robben as the best player at that tournament is definitely not revisionist though, that was a common call at the time. And I stand by it.

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
My pick is Robben as well. Crazy good from start to finish.
Messi wasn't Argentina best,it was Mascherano.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Went to go find old posts to prove I'm not being revisionist, but they got lost in the platform move. Alack. Robben as the best player at that tournament is definitely not revisionist though, that was a common call at the time. And I stand by it.

Yeah, not much was expected of that Dutch team and he was by far their best player, dragging them to a third place finish. I remember especially the dominant match against Spain and the penalty he drew in the quarterfinal against Mexico.

Neuer was imo the best player from the winning team, but he only had to step up in a couple matches.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I almost clicked Sneijder until I realized he dominated the prior World Cup. But yes his compatriot was the best from what I remember as well.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I also remember thinking it was Robben at the time.
Well obviously but he wasn't not even close.

Argentina scored 8 goals messi scored 4 of them the second was a tie between own goals Rojo and other no names. While playing a CM. there wasn't a single player more important than messi to his team and his team actually played in the final. Saying Robben is a joke. Nuer is the only other option and still would've been a dumb choice.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Argentina scored 8 goals messi scored 4 of them the second was a tie between own goals Rojo and other no names. While playing a CM. there wasn't a single player more important than messi to his team and his team actually played in the final. Saying Robben is a joke. Nuer is the only other option and still would've been a dumb choice.
I mean, you don't think that Robben was just as important to his team as Messi was? I remember Messi had a great tournament also, but they would have been out if not for a ridiculous defensive performance from Mascherano in the game against the Dutch in the first place. For me, Mascherano wasn't Argentina's most important player all tournament, though he was in that game, and Robben had nobody else pick up the slack really. He carried the team every game. I don't think anyone else was close to Robben or Messi, but Robben is hardly a 'dumb choice' given the relative quality of team he carried.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Hummels and Boateng for me. Both was extreme good with the ball. That was a importand reason for the succes of the German possesion football.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Messi scored his 4 goals in the group stages, against powerhouses such as Bosnia, Iran, and Nigeria.

Robben was the player in that tournament and I love Messi. His performance against Spain in the group stages was one of the best that I've ever seen.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean, you don't think that Robben was just as important to his team as Messi was? I remember Messi had a great tournament also, but they would have been out if not for a ridiculous defensive performance from Mascherano in the game against the Dutch in the first place. For me, Mascherano wasn't Argentina's most important player all tournament, though he was in that game, and Robben had nobody else pick up the slack really. He carried the team every game. I don't think anyone else was close to Robben or Messi, but Robben is hardly a 'dumb choice' given the relative quality of team he carried.

Not stupid.. that's a harsh word by me. Just wrong.

Messi scored his 4 goals in the group stages, against powerhouses such as Bosnia, Iran, and Nigeria.

Robben was the player in that tournament and I love Messi. His performance against Spain in the group stages was one of the best that I've ever seen.
Yeah, no need to look at context of each situation I guess lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lahm easily. He was known as a RB internationally, but Germany played him as a CDM and just shutdown everyone to win the World Cup.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lahm easily. He was known as a RB internationally, but Germany played him as a CDM and just shutdown everyone to win the World Cup.
Im not really sure how changing a players position makes him the best player in the tournament. Let alone the fact that it was Germany that changed it but Pep with Munich.

Nonetheless, you're hilariously wrong but that goes without saying these days.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad