Who takes over the "C"

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Assuming Landy isn’t able to play anymore, I honestly don’t see any scenario where it isn’t Mackinnon. Maybe if he says no, then they can give it to Makar but he’s gotta be the first guy they ask right??

LurkerMcgee

Oct 6, 2020
Assuming Landy isn’t able to play anymore, I honestly don’t see any scenario where it isn’t Mackinnon. Maybe if he says no, then they can give it to Makar but he’s gotta be the first guy they ask right??
I don’t think Mackinnon would even be considered or asked. He’s made it clear his entire career he isn’t that kind of player/ doesn’t want the attention that comes with it. He barely acknowledges when he is a top 3 star of the game. It’s either Makar or Bo. So Makar it is basically :)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
"Who gets the 'C'?"

If that question is about this upcoming season, the answer is "No one", as they'll roll with three the 3 A's.

If that's about after Landeskog retires (as in, he's forced to accept that he can't play anymore), then it won't be MacKinnon. Guy is obviously a leader, but he's not the type of leader a team needs as a Captain. It would likely be Makar imo....maybe Byram, I guess? People have talked about his ability there, but I don't know anything about that.

The thing is, it can't really be MacKinnon, nor should it be. We all know and have heard stories about his temperment and personality. I don't think he would make a good Captain. He's good to have the "A", but he needs someone like Lando/EJ to keep him in check.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Emotionally, it is Mac. Taking a bit of emotion out of it, it is Makar.

If you factor in someone that is a bit more balanced and want to keep pressure off Mac and give it to someone more balanced -- and if you are looking to not weigh down a still relatively young guy in Makar --- hear me out --- it is Toews if/when after he re-signs.

Mac clearly is everything on his sleeve type of guy. While you love that about him, it does not make a great captain. The captain has to be balanced and measured. Lando himself sometimes has struggled with that.

Makar has some growing to do - as strange as it sounds - IMO. He will always have the pressure of being the #1 D man and an elite player on him. Let him be that. Put the C load on Toews. He is a leader in the room. He is a vet. he is not looked to carry the team in regards to pure play. He seems to fit the mold of a "quoteless joe".

Let Makar and Mac be superstars. Let them sometimes have the emotions overflow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad