Who Takes Ceremonial Faceoff

Who Lines Up For Ceremonial Faceoff

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I say it's going to be John Tavares.

Also how do you know Pacioretty will even take it for Montreal on opening night? He could very well be traded before that game. :sarcasm:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Tavares, Marleau, or Rielly - I'm assuming they'll be our 3 'A's next year, so it would stand to reason it would be one of them.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Matthews
Tavares
Rielly
Marleau

Will Rotate just like the season before last with Bozak, Rielly, Komarov and Hunwick

Reactions: Buds17

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Do you think Matthews will be given one of the 'A's next season?
No - I don't see him getting a letter at this point until his next contract kicks in. Once Marleau retires, Matts can have his 'A', or something like that.

I'd be comfortable with being wrong, though.

Edit - Sorry! By next season, do you mean 2019/20? If so, I think it depends on Marleau's future with the team. I expect him to receive a letter for the remainder of his time here, and Rielly and Tavares to get the other 2. Matthews would then get Marleau's 'A' (or the 'C') once Marleau departs - it's too early at this point to know if that'll be after 1 or 2 more years, so we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No - I don't see him getting a letter at this point until his next contract kicks in. Once Marleau retires, Matts can have his 'A', or something like that.

I'd be comfortable with being wrong, though.

Edit - Sorry! By next season, do you mean 2019/20? If so, I think it depends on Marleau's future with the team. I expect him to receive a letter for the remainder of his time here, and Rielly and Tavares to get the other 2. Matthews would then get Marleau's 'A' (or the 'C') once Marleau departs - it's too early at this point to know if that'll be after 1 or 2 more years, so we'll have to wait and see.
If Tavares or Matthews are not named captain next season, I can see the Leafs possibly having 4 players wear the 'A's at different times. So that way we can have Matthews, Tavares, Marleau and Rielly doing that. Plus the Leafs have a history of 4 players wearing an A when you look at this.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If Tavares or Matthews are not named captain next season, I can see the Leafs possibly having 4 players wear the 'A's at different times. So that way we can have Matthews, Tavares, Marleau and Rielly doing that. Plus the Leafs have a history of 4 players wearing an A when you look at this.

I could be mistaken, but I believe only 3 players wore a letter in any given game.

Certainly, should they decide to have 4 guys with letters, Matthews would be a solid choice, though I still think they wait until his next contract kicks in before giving him that kind of added responsibility. If they give out a 4th letter this year, I'd expect it to go to Hainsey again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I could be mistaken, but I believe only 3 players wore a letter in any given game.

Certainly, should they decide to have 4 guys with letters, Matthews would be a solid choice, though I still think they wait until his next contract kicks in before giving him that kind of added responsibility. If they give out a 4th letter this year, I'd expect it to go to Hainsey again.
I don't remember Hainsey wearing an A this past season. If he did I think it was during the pre-season when they rotated different players wearing it. I know Matthews did when they played the Senators in Ottawa during their first pre-season game.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think the better question is... who wears the A's for the Leafs this year?

Rielly will be obvious. Do we see Matthews & Tavares get the other 2? Do we have some sort of rotation that includes Patrick Marleau?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Rielly will be obvious. Do we see Matthews & Tavares get the other 2? Do we have some sort of rotation that includes Patrick Marleau?
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Marleau only wear an A when someone like Komarov was hurt?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s been answered, but one of the Alternates.

I assume Marleau, Rielly or Tavares/Matthews

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Thats pretty easy as far as I am concerned

"A" out -> Bozak, Komarov

"A" in -> Matthews, Tavares

3 Assistant Captains

- Rielly, Matthews, Tavares

Then Shanny/Dubas names the captain

Tavares (A)
Rielly (A)

AUSTON MATTHEWS (C)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad