Who Still Has the Best Potential to Be a Top 6 Forward?

Who Still Has It in Them to Be a Top 6 Forward? (Original Team, Year, Spot Picked) - Current Team)

• Curtis Lazar (OTT, 2013, 17th OA) - Buffalo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What’s stopping him from developing and earning bigger minutes?

Idk exactly for some reason he never gets PP time at all. Even if the coaches are trying to send a message if the powerplay is struggling they'll throw guys like Cogliano and Comeau out there instead. Not really sure but they're perfectly fine with putting him in a top 6 role if needed and he puts up a decent amount of points considering he only sees even strength and shorthanded icetime. It's a weird situation but I think I recall back when Monty was coach he said he didnt wanna overuse him or something like that? It was weird I dont recall the exact reason. He's excellent defensively though and one of the best forecheckers/puck possession guys on the team. That's why I said he is only gonna break out if he gets traded and gets prime offensive chances. He still gets his minutes here but they're mostly defensive minutes and PK time.

Stars use him primarily to babysit the defensive liability guys right now and still provide a bit of an offensive punch at the same time cause he's the most skilled "defensive" forward they have

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
For whatever reason, I think people forget how young Tyson Jost is. He’s only 2 months older than Jesse Puljujarvi. Beyond that, I’ve generally been impressed with him and he graded out pretty well in the play-driving department based on results this season.

I don’t think there really is a right answer to this poll but Jost is the player that I would feel most comfortable putting my money on.

This a good poll though. Polls about players that play lower in the lineup are a nice change of pace and definitely interesting.
my guy, the answer is jason dickinson by far. by war hes the optimal outcome of a late first round pick based on loserpoints study.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
my guy, the answer is jason dickinson by far. by war hes the optimal outcome of a late first round pick based on loserpoints study.

upload_2020-5-20_17-43-57.png

upload_2020-5-20_17-44-9.png

Small sample from both players but I've liked what I've personally seen of Jost more so I'm leaning towards him. Jost is also 3 years younger.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Idk exactly for some reason he never gets PP time at all. Even if the coaches are trying to send a message if the powerplay is struggling they'll throw guys like Cogliano and Comeau out there instead. Not really sure but they're perfectly fine with putting him in a top 6 role if needed and he puts up a decent amount of points considering he only sees even strength and shorthanded icetime. It's a weird situation but I think I recall back when Monty was coach he said he didnt wanna overuse him or something like that? It was weird I dont recall the exact reason. He's excellent defensively though and one of the best forecheckers/puck possession guys on the team. That's why I said he is only gonna break out if he gets traded and gets prime offensive chances. He still gets his minutes here but they're mostly defensive minutes and PK time.

Stars use him primarily to babysit the defensive liability guys right now and still provide a bit of an offensive punch at the same time cause he's the most skilled "defensive" forward they have

Feel like maybe it's one of those situations like Jannik Hansen when he was so good for the Canucks. Dickinson is a kinda similar-ish player in some respects. Some guys are just far better even-strength players, and don't know what to do with powerplay time to make the most of it. Just don't have the natural creativity to make the most of the extra space, and keep things flowing with the man advantage. Where the same things that make them such useful 5v5 players (speed, directness, forechecking, getting pucks to the net, etc), are almost detrimental on a powerplay.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Virtanen may end up the best player, but I don't see him as being able to click with high-end players for long-periods of time, which will make him only top 6 on a team that really has a really top heavy first-line or no depth. His north/south, shoot first ask questions later style will likely drive more creative players a bit nuts. Evander Kane has a similar problem, and he's a significantly better version of Virtanen. This makes him fit in well bringing energy on the 3rd line, and being the scoring threat there when looking at line-up construction.

I'd probably pick Mittelstadt (who also has an insanely high outright bust rate), because I do think he has the puck skills and creativity to thrive with more talented players but likely on the wing. But, he's also a skill role or bust guy. I don't know what to make of Puljujarvi at this point.

I mean, I'd bet on Bennett and Virtanen to be the best NHLers, but I don't see their play styles fitting higher up in the line-up. Although, depending on you team make-up I find top 6 a bit outdated. If you have two high-end centermen (say 2 clear top 35/40 centers in the league like Pitt, Leafs, Caps, EDM if they when they seperate McDrai, Van, etc) you have a clear top C, otherwise its generally a clear top line by your franchise center (Buffalo, Florida, Carolina, NYI, etc) and then a rotating middle 6.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Virtanen, because he is.

Well that's news to us here in Vancouver because he is a 3rd line guy plain and simple.

Puljujarvi and Mittelstadt probably

These 2 have the most potential in terms of skill and age but for Puljujariv it's probably not in the NHL as he doesn't seem to have the mental game for it.

I also think for Mittelstadt he has to make the leap pretty soon or it will be gone.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Jost and Virtanen feels like safer bets here. Voted Virtanen merely because he's one of my favorite players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad