Votes: 32 28.1%
  • Jeremy Swayman

Votes: 82 71.9%

• Total voters

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I get both opinions. If it was me:

Swayman goes game 4, if the Bruins win, they're up 3-1, I think you give Ullmark game 5 back in Boston. If he loses, Swayman gets game 6 and 7.

If Swayman loses game 4, series tied 2-2 going back to Boston, Ullmark 100% gets the nod.

I think in either case, Swayman is in net for a game 6 and 7 if necessary. But up 3-1, I let Ullmark go out there and try and clinch it.

troubbble

Apr 25, 2024
Normally just lurk here...but I had to register to chime in on this one. Ullmark should absolutely get the start in Game 4.

Don't get me wrong, I love Swayman, and if we could only choose one of them to play in this series, I'd choose him. But this rotation has worked for us all year and I'm not seeing ANY reason to abandon the plan. It would be a shortsighted move.

The majority seemed to support sticking with Swayman and abandoning the rotation right away after Game 1--and he had a great game for sure, but what else were you expecting from him?

Then we lose Game 2 with Ullmark in net, and all of a sudden, the argument looks more justified. But all I saw was a great performance from Ullmark, with the major difference from Swayman's games being some bad luck (like a puck bouncing off the glass to land directly in front of the crease for a waiting Leafs player) and poor support from his teammates (like Matthews being allowed a crazy breakaway late in the game). Swayman was lights-out last night for sure, but didn't really have to deal with that extra level of adversity, either.

I'm less concerned with the W or L, and more focused on what each goalie brings to the game. If Ullmark comes out in Game 4 and his level of play is what blows the game, I couldn't argue against going with Swayman exclusively for the rest of the series. But from what we've seen so far, I don't think there's any good reason to support one of them over the other, and don't think we should put the burden entirely on either one of them. They're both killing it so far and that's a good thing.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Stop the nonsense of rotating goalies unless there is an injury or performance issue. It's not a regular season anymore. Play the one that gives you the best chance to win.

Tim Thomas was the difference maker in the cup run in 2011 while Rask didn't play in a single playoff game.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Stop the nonsense of rotating goalies unless there is an injury or performance issue. It's not a regular season anymore. Play the one that gives you the best chance to win.

Tim Thomas was the difference maker in the cup run in 2011 while Rask didn't play in a single playoff game.
This rotation nonsense is for Youth hockey, not the NHL playoffs.

Swayman is 6-0 against the Leafs this year. anything but starting him on 2 days rest is over thinking it.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
bc intentionally losing games benching a hot goalie and putting Ullmark in net makes no sense. Good thing Swayman is carrying the team so far despite Monty

Ullmark was the hot goalie down the stretch of the season and Swayman was not as good. I don't think Ullmark played bad at all in his start but we didn't score. can't win if you don't score no matter who is in net.

I would keep the rotation unless one of them shits the bed bad other then that. if it aint broken dont fix it.

2 goals hasn't won a game in this series and probably will not.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Idk why people keep saying Ullmark had a great performance game 2. He was ok. Not bad, not good just ok. He should have had the first goal where he technically got beat twice it just hit the post and bounced back out. He also had a clean look on the Tavares goal but was just out of position.

He made some big saves for sure and deserves absolutely zero blame for the matthews goal, but people saying he was “great” are insane.

Last edited:

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
ulmark...swayman gets last 3 tho if ulmark loses and swayman plays well in games 5 and 6

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I'd go Swayman with all the rest days in between. If they win game 4 and he's still lights out I'd go back to him in game 5 since there's also two rest days inbetween.

I'm okay with Ullmark too, not worried about our goaltending.

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
It’s a pretty awesome situation to know that either goalie will give the team a chance to win.
Looking at the leafs board, irs very clear they would love anyone other than Swayman.
Having said that, ullie is excellent….and I’m sure the players are very aware that he deserves their best effort in front of him.
Maybe there’s a bit of positive psychology to playing Ullmark.
Overthinking. Wheeee!!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman is 6-0 since last season two days off definitely he goes again.
Yes

If it was every other day for game but at this point with 3 days of Monty told them yesterday shouldn’t be an issue

I'd go Swayman with all the rest days in between. If they win game 4 and he's still lights out I'd go back to him in game 5 since there's also two rest days inbetween.

I'm okay with Ullmark too, not worried about our goaltending.
Bang on

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
f***ing love discussing which goalie should start the next playoff game every playoff game, even the wins. Exactly what you want during a playoff run. Great stuff no notes five stars.
Exactly. As much as I like Ullmark and recognize the worth of the regular season rotation, this is yet another reason why Ullmark needs to get dealt this offseason. As much as having two good goalies is a luxury, you can’t be having a goalie controversy in the playoffs every year with two good goalies. Save that for teams who have two bad goalies.

Reactions: EverettMike

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
What's counterintuitive is how much harder they play in front of Sway vs the Leafs. You'd think when he's there to save you, you'd play down a bit. But it's the opposite. He makes them so confident that they play UP.

It's the only reason I gotta go Sway here. The math says up 3-1 going home, you have to do a lot to lose the series (cough). I'll start the guy that adds to the odds of that now. Knowing Linus hasn't seen his last game imho.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Normally just lurk here...but I had to register to chime in on this one. Ullmark should absolutely get the start in Game 4.

Don't get me wrong, I love Swayman, and if we could only choose one of them to play in this series, I'd choose him. But this rotation has worked for us all year and I'm not seeing ANY reason to abandon the plan. It would be a shortsighted move.

The majority seemed to support sticking with Swayman and abandoning the rotation right away after Game 1--and he had a great game for sure, but what else were you expecting from him?

Then we lose Game 2 with Ullmark in net, and all of a sudden, the argument looks more justified. But all I saw was a great performance from Ullmark, with the major difference from Swayman's games being some bad luck (like a puck bouncing off the glass to land directly in front of the crease for a waiting Leafs player) and poor support from his teammates (like Matthews being allowed a crazy breakaway late in the game). Swayman was lights-out last night for sure, but didn't really have to deal with that extra level of adversity, either.

I'm less concerned with the W or L, and more focused on what each goalie brings to the game. If Ullmark comes out in Game 4 and his level of play is what blows the game, I couldn't argue against going with Swayman exclusively for the rest of the series. But from what we've seen so far, I don't think there's any good reason to support one of them over the other, and don't think we should put the burden entirely on either one of them. They're both killing it so far and that's a good thing.
First off, welcome aboard!
Second, there is a reason: Ullmark lost game two.
Sure, he played well enough and we didn’t lose because of him (although Swayman’s better on breakaways than he is) but we didn’t win because of him either. But we might have won because of Swayman. But knowing Monty we might see Bussi in game 4.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
total honesty, i don't really care who plays goal in the next game.

but for the start swayman crowd, if he plays poorly and loses game 4, and then ullmark wins game 5 and plays well...
who starts in game 6?
And if he plays well? What reasons are there to suggest that he might play poorly? Given how he’s played so far I think that the expectation should be that he plays well. Again.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
is this a "who should start" or "who do you think Monty will start"

it should be swayman, who knows what that mad lad of a coach is gonna do

total honesty, i don't really care who plays goal in the next game.

but for the start swayman crowd, if he plays poorly and loses game 4, and then ullmark wins game 5 and plays well...
who starts in game 6?

Ullmark

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This shouldn't even be a discussion, it has to be Swayman. His record against TO is sterling and Ullmark's playoff record dosen't exactly inspire much confidence.

Reactions: Spanky185

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
For perspective, Swayman had his "worst" game against Toronto this year in game 3...with a .933

This year he's put up .966, .970, .943, 972 and .933 with a 1.40 GAA

He flat out owns them and is in their heads. You dont willingly give up an advantage like that in the playoffs

• Love
Reactions: goldenblack

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I can see the desire to play Swayman in the next one. I worry about going away from the rotation though, it is a big part of the teams identity.

Reactions: CDN24

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I would play Swayman untl he loses a game, then go back to Ullmark.
This should have been the plan from Day one.
IE if a goalie loses a game switch to the other guy.
Ride the hot goalie for as long as you can.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I get both opinions. If it was me:

Swayman goes game 4, if the Bruins win, they're up 3-1, I think you give Ullmark game 5 back in Boston. If he loses, Swayman gets game 6 and 7.

If Swayman loses game 4, series tied 2-2 going back to Boston, Ullmark 100% gets the nod.

I think in either case, Swayman is in net for a game 6 and 7 if necessary. But up 3-1, I let Ullmark go out there and try and clinch it.
I just don't get the overthinking it. If Swayman wins game 4, STICK WITH HIM!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad