Line Combos: Who starts as the Leafs #2 RW?

BeerLeaguePro

Jun 27, 2014
Mimico proper
Holland needs to be more concerned about just making the team then challenging Kadri..

He just made our team. A two year deal is an organisational endorsement, albeit at a discount. Kadri will hear his footsteps for the 2C louder than the other "center candidates".

Strong words from a strong buzz...

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
He just made our team. A two year deal is an organisational endorsement, albeit at a discount. Kadri will hear his footsteps for the 2C louder than the other "center candidates".

Strong words from a strong buzz...

He must be terrified right now. But in all seriousness, competition is good. Hope all players on the team get challenged. Think Bozak should be the most worried. If we find a capable 2C, he might be moved down the latter.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The poll is so close. Lol. It might end up being Lupul if Booth makes that left side 2nd line. Although I can see more of this.

JVR. Bozak. Kessel
Lupul. Kadri. Komarov
Booth. Santorelli. Clarkson (The "Possession line") :)
Holland. Kontiola. Frattin

(Bodie)

3/4 lines are interchangeable. (Same ice time)

Wasn't Komarov promised a more key role this year? So I put him up there on the 2nd line.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
The poll is so close. Lol. It might end up being Lupul if Booth makes that left side 2nd line. Although I can see more of this.

JVR. Bozak. Kessel
Lupul. Kadri. Komarov
Booth. Santorelli. Clarkson (The "Possession line") :)
Holland. Kontiola. Frattin

(Bodie)

3/4 lines are interchangeable. (Same ice time)

Wasn't Komarov promised a more key role this year? So I put him up there on the 2nd line.

why stop there, wasn't Komarov a center for some time why not add him as our 1C. he'll be better than bozak ofcourse :shakehead

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Things are a little different with Booth in the lineup. He'll likely take that 2nd line RW spot.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Booth
Ashton - Santorelli - Clarkson
Komarov - Kontiola - Bodie

Don't see much jam in this lineup. Looks pretty soft to me.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think with Dubas joining the team, we're likely going to see considerations for guys that have good metrics.

Frattin, who struggled mightily finding a groove with the Kings and Jackets, had a -12.4 CORSI REL and QoC of -0.098. Those are not good numbers, HOWEVER, the season prior, while playing in Toronto, Frattin had a 11.9 CORSI REL and QoC of -0.002.

Now that is a good indication of his potential, at least. Consider, also that there is little doubt Kadri is our 2C this year, and Frattin has shown great compatibility with Kadri (where he posted those great stats in 2012-13).

That makes a strong case for Frattin on the second line.

Booth has also posted some decent possession stats, but being the new guy, there's no way to guess if he'll be compatible with Kadri or whether the Leafs brass envision him taking that 2RW slot. It's much more likely expectations are for him to be a very good depth player, that adds offense in the right circumstances. More likely a 3rd liner with 4th line or 2nd line duties.

My guess is Booth is one of the "roamers" since we know Carlyle likes to have pairs of players. There are good indications the "pairs" this year will be Bozak/Kessel, Kadri/Frattin, Komarov/Kontiola, and it's unclear who exactly rounds out the 4th line but probably good chances of Bodie/Holland.

Carlyle will then have other players slot in interchangeably on those lines depending on who is showing their worth on a particular night. So Booth would be anywhere on the 2nd to 4th lines, Santorelli like 3rd-4th, Ashton 3-4, Clarkson 2-3. Lupul is 1-2, so I think the majority of the time we'd be seeing Lupul - Kadri - Frattin, with the odd shift given to Lupul alongside Kessel and Bozak to keep Lupul's minutes higher and allow someone like Clarkson or Booth time on the 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad