Line Combos: Who starts as the Leafs #2 RW?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I think it will be Clarkson but I'm hoping it's Frattin, want to see if he can play like he did at times with Kadri before his injury.

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
Its between Kontiola/Santorelli/Clarkson/Frattion
Dark horse being Nylander or Leivo but I doubt it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Clarkson and Frattin will both get chances and imo whoever does better(probably Frattin) will stick.

I'd like to see Leivo get a shot up there(does he play right or left?) but probably won't, hopefully he gets a shot to start the season on the 3rd line as I think he's ready.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Frattin has already been pegged for the 4th line, maybe 3rd by Nonis/Poile. So between Clarky and Santa. I'd say Clarkson to start. Honestly could see it being a revolving door though. With Komarov even getting some time there on occasion.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Clarkson had ample opportunity on that line and proved he was entirely useless and hurt the production of both Kadri and Lupul, and yes, there's stats to back it up.

Goals/60 Pts/60 Corsi%
with Clarkson 0.54 1.09 44.1%
without Clarkson 0.76 2.04 45.8%

Or Joffrey Lupul:

Goals/60 Pts/60 Corsi%
with Clarkson 0.30 1.51 40.3%
without Clarkson 0.90 1.65 43.5%

Keep Clarktard off of the second line.

I wouldn't mind seeing Komorav on the line. He worked well with Kadri before.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Frattin has already been pegged for the 4th line, maybe 3rd by Nonis/Poile. .

Carlyle and the assistant coaches make the lines. And Nonis/Poile never said this so I don't ser why you are talking out of your ass.

In response to the OP, I hope it is Frattin.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Both Lupul (-15) and Kadri (-11) were among Leafs worst +/- players on the team.

Ideally you would want someone who plays a strong 2-way game to add some defensive awareness to the 2nd line. Particularly with the Leafs top line already a black hole defensively.

Not who as possible choices today that would fill that role best. Clarkson (-14) did not play well there last year but has the most NHL experience of all the challengers.

So what is left Frattin, Santorelli and Nylander ?

Might have to go off the board and see if Komarov who plays LW can play RW.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Carlyle and the assistant coaches make the lines. And Nonis/Poile never said this so I don't ser why you are talking out of your ass.

In response to the OP, I hope it is Frattin.

Poulin said they see Holland and Frattin as two guys that can play roles on the 4th line, the same day Nonis said our 4th line can't be playing 3 minutes a night, and rather needs to play 10-12.

Carlyle isn't the "head coach" for all intents and purposes, he is going to have his hand held by Shanny, Nonis and management.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/02/dave-nonis-on-leafs-lunch-on-tsn-1050/
6:25 - Indicates he'll most likely be starting out in the same slot as D'amigo will on his new team. IE, 4th line winger. There's also another video interview he did saying the same thing that I'm not motivated to find. Either way, I'm not saying it's a certainty, and yes Randy has the say for lineups, but they've obviously had discussions on where he fits. I'm sure he'll bump around the lineup this season. So no, I was not talking out of my ass.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Clarkson will get his first crack at it, for the amount he's paid, he will get another chance to possibly contribute more. Frattin is next in line though, after that... who knows? Nylander?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
6:25 - Indicates he'll most likely be starting out in the same slot as D'amigo will on his new team. IE, 4th line winger. There's also another video interview he did saying the same thing that I'm not motivated to find. Either way, I'm not saying it's a certainty, and yes Randy has the say for lineups, but they've obviously had discussions on where he fits. I'm sure he'll bump around the lineup this season. So no, I was not talking out of my ass.

Apologies. Still think its clear that Carlyle decides what he wants to fo with the lineups however.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

I believe ya, Man. I was going to ass you about it, butt I didn't want to make a stink.

:)

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I doubt Nylander is ready. He should play at least half a year in the AHL, I think it will be the full season. And I think they will try him at center there.

Leivo too, both should play first line minutes this season.

As for the 2nd RW, it will change a lot. Voted Santorelli.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Carlyle will likely start with Clarkson but if that doesn't work it'll end up with Frattin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad