Who sits?

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
The forwards who aren't sitting are:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Kadri - Burakovsky
Lehkonen - JTC- Newhook

The 4th line will be a rotating cast until the end of the 1st or 2nd round. But here's how it sits for game 1:

Cogliano-Helm-LOC has been the best incarnation of the 4th line for awhile a now. Not necessarily the best players (LOC), but better than the sum of their parts.

Now, I think we'll see a Cogliano-Helm-Nak line in the next few games to see if NAK can gel there because he has, by far, out played LOC. I also think NAK has risen above the "takes too many penalties" stigma.

Sturm hasn't done anything. He finally got moved off the 3rd line yesterday and that line looked much better. Bednar also had Helm take most of the face-offs including 1st unit PK instead of Sturm. Helm appears to be favourite for 4th line center.

Sturm was brought in to win face-offs; has anyone checked his FO% since getting here?

So, right now, I think Sturm and NAK sit unless NAk can prove he can skate with #13 & #43 in the next couple of games.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From the other thread.
Coaches trust vets. To begin the playoffs Bednar is going to likely turn to Helm/Cogliano and if they play like trash I'm sure we'll see LOC/NAK inserted but if they don't/the Avs are winning they'll stay in the lineup.

Defense is more iffy. EJ SHOULD be the guy in the lineup and playing with Byram but the coaches have shown over the course of the season that they trust JMFJ more than they trust EJ based on minutes allocation and PK role.

Bednar has seemed to like JJ, but a lot of that is recently, and from his time off and the tape on EJ's arm, he was pretty clearly playing banged up for a while. I think/hope JJ getting a larger role recently was due to trying to limit EJ's time for the playoffs.

EJ still gets more PK time because he plays on the first unit, and he still averages 35 seconds more overall than JJ. JJ has passed him in average EV ice time, but that only happened recently. EJ was still ahead of JJ in EV time as of 4/1.

NHL.com

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What's the reasoning behind playing LOC over NAK?

PK?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One thing relating to LOC confuses me and that's why Lehkonen is still getting so little PK time.

He was Montreal's #1 Pker averaging 2:10. He's averaged 48 seconds on the PK in Colorado and only had 38 seconds last game. LOC had 1:51 last game. Shouldn't take him that long to learn the PK system.

Seems to me the top PK unit should be Nuke and Sturm (for face-offs) and then Lehkonen and Helm. LOC is an offensive threat on the PK, but his speed seems to have dipped in the second half a little IMO, and he's only an average PKer at this point in terms of suppressing chances.

Looks like all but 4 forward spots are locks and Newhook, Sturm, Helm, Cogs, NAK, and LOC will battle it out for them. I bet Helm's pretty close to a lock too. They'll want his playoff experience and his versatility to play center. Especially if Strum plays 3C and Newhook plays wing. He's been much better recently too.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvStock

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If we play a "heavier" team like Dallas (because vegas is toast), the MacDermid will be rotated in as needed to restore order in the Universe. Like Thor or Zeus.

Random question, say we win the Cup and MacDermid doesn’t play at all in the playoffs, did he play enough games to get his name on the cup?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Murray should get a game in the Finals if Avs get that far. He is at 37 GP

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I surmise that guys we got at the TDL, because they had played for their respective teams prior to the TDL, do not have to play 41 games with the Avs to get their names engraved.

I'm pretty sure the same games played number with the Cup winning team still applies. They can get their name on the Cup still if they play 1 game in the finals. Teams can also appeal to have someone's name put on the Cup and the league has approved this before. They would still get a ring with the team either way too.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I think the vets play.

Lehkonen and Nichushkin were great with MacKinnon.

Lehkonen- Mackinnon- Nichushkin
Landeskog- Kadri -Rantanen
Burakovsky- Newhook- Compher
Cogliano- Sturm- Helm

Out- O'Connor, Aube Kubel

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - EJ

Out- JJ, MacDermid
I don’t see how you can sit NAK I like his energy and I also thoughtoconner was better last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad