Speculation: Who should we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I could be wrong about this, but someone I trust told me yesterday that the Predators have Barkov rated #2 in the entire draft, and if he's there, that's who they're taking. Now, I don't know if that's "number 2 forward" or "number two overall," but this is apparently someone they're pretty excited to get. I'm not sure they would take Drouin over him, at this point.

and if Barkov is truly a Joe Thornton type C who can score 25 on his own plus feed his wingers and make Forsberg a 30+ G guy then thats the right choice...

Last edited:

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I don't understand how Poile's comments do anything to reduce his leverage in a potential trade negotiation. The first four picks are about as obvious in this draft as they have ever been. Nichuskin provides a little dark horse excitement, but it still isn't game theory. To me, he said "We will draft a game changing forward; if you want our pick, be prepared to give up a game changing forward plus something extra to compensate for the favorability of the ELC contract structure."

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Drouin is there somehow at #4 and we take Barkov, I don't understand that pick. Forsberg can easily play center equally if not better than Barkov moving forward and Drouin is an absolute game changer on the outside that shows shades of Kane/Datsyuk with his handling and scoring ability - something that this franchise hasn't seen.

Barkov is better than forsberg. And I also think barkov is a game changer with way more size than drouin which is huge in the NHL.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If Drouin is there somehow at #4 and we take Barkov, I don't understand that pick. Forsberg can easily play center equally if not better than Barkov moving forward and Drouin is an absolute game changer on the outside that shows shades of Kane/Datsyuk with his handling and scoring ability - something that this franchise hasn't seen.
What makes you think Forsberg can play center as well as someone that actually has played center.

As far as I know, Forsberg's listing as a center in the draft was a mistake, he's playing wing overseas and has only played wing here. Center and wing are not close to the same position.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Wilson is your 1C. He has been projected to play that role since he was drafted. This season he was finally playing consistent enough to gain Trotzes trust. Before his injury, Trotz mentioned that he could be moved to C in the next year, meaning late in the season or next season. I don't think either the pick this year, whoever it is, or Forsberg will be ready to play C on the top line for another 2-3 years.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Barkov has almost as much game breaking potential as Drouin. There is a reason that Barkov has been compared to Datsyuk at points. He's got silky smooth hands that are very reminicsent of Datsyuk's. Barkov's potential is immense, almost as high as Drouin's offensively, and defensively its much higher than almost every other top 6 potential player in the draft.

The potential you're talking about with Barkov is Kopitar (who is a game breaker) with better defense, and hands like Datsyuk. He's never had a player on his wing with offensive potential like Forsberg (who was drafted as a winger, plays wing and will be a winger at the NHL level). There's not telling what he could do with a linemate like Drouin had since joing the Mooseheads.

That's not to discount Drouin. He's incredible to say the least. If the preds have a choice between him and Barkov, I'm not really sure who I'd want them to pick to be honest. I don't think the two are as far apart as you think. I think it might be a dead heat.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Wilson is your 1C. He has been projected to play that role since he was drafted. This season he was finally playing consistent enough to gain Trotzes trust. Before his injury, Trotz mentioned that he could be moved to C in the next year, meaning late in the season or next season. I don't think either the pick this year, whoever it is, or Forsberg will be ready to play C on the top line for another 2-3 years.

Especially since Forsberg was drafted as a winger...

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Am I right in thinking what good is a #1 C if he doesnt have wingers who can score?

We need goal scoring above all else... if the #1 C can score 25-30 himself and he will allow Forsberg(and/or Wilson) to be a 30+ scorer, then get the C

But if there is any chance the the C will be nothing more than Legwand 2.0, then get the scoring winger

There's something to be said of Legwand's development. He wasn't exactly put in a position to succeed offensively. He spent 5 seasons playing on a very offensively defunct team, playing withvery little offensive support.

Cliff Ronning and Scott Walker were the two best forwards he was able to have around him. Not exactly world shattering offensive players.

It's more likely he wasn't able to develop his scoring ability at the NHL level, not because he didn't have one, but because the team around him limited it.

The point being, you probably shouldn't look at Legwand and fear Legwand 2.0 with Barkov. If anything, Barkov becoming Legwand 2.0 is about as likely to happen as Drouin is as likely to become a small forward bust.

You can't pick (or rather not pick) a player out of fear. That's a good way to miss out on a top player. If Drouin is the number 1 guy on your list, you take him, size be damned. If its Barkov, then you take him, potential of becoming Legwand 2.0 be damned.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

You're making a lot of definitive statements involving players you've never seen play.

1stLineCottonCandy

Apr 7, 2013
Chattanooga
We draft Barkov and bring in a mentor for him and Forsberg , lets say someone along the lines of Jagr or Riberofrom free agency and let these guy develope instead of relying on them to fix us right now. They may not be the superstars we want right now but at least we won't destroy their future by throwing them into a bad situation

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
I don't know where the Forsberg to center stuff is coming from.

I somehow imagine this as a repeating line in a GMGM conversation at some point after they picked Forsberg, as in:

GMGM: Hapy with our pick. Never thought he would fall this far, so we didn't even scout him. He will make a helluva center on our top line though.

Reporter/Friend/ Non-Caps scout: Hey GMGM, he's actually a winger....

GMGM: Like, the guy that plays in the center of the ice with Ovy... that kind of a winger? That's a center.

R/F/NCS: He's not a center.

GMGM: My scouts said he IS a center.

R/F/NCS: They didn't scout him, remember?

GMGM: Everyone seems to think he is a center. You must be wrong.

R/F/NCS: I don't know where the Forsberg to center stuff is coming from.. He's not a center, never played center, isn't a center, won't be a center. Ever. Never ever. He's a winger.

GMGM: WTF? A winger? Seriously? Now you tell me. I don't know where the Forsberg to center stuff is coming from.. [long pause] Doris, get Poile on the phone for me... NOW.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Honestly guys. I am just ecstatic we are picking in the top four rather than top five, because no matter what, we are going to draft a very special forward.

Whether its barkov, mackinnon or drouin, we are in for a treat guys!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We draft Barkov and bring in a mentor for him and Forsberg , lets say someone along the lines of Jagr or Riberofrom free agency and let these guy develope instead of relying on them to fix us right now. They may not be the superstars we want right now but at least we won't destroy their future by throwing them into a bad situation

There is much merit to this. Theres no way Trotz allows an 18 year old to center the top two lines for sure. The development of these two players long term is far more important than anything they do next year as well. It makes no difference how much upside they have this is still the NHL and there experience at 18 does not have them ready to step into a top 6 position in Nashville. If they are here next year DP had better sign at least one top line type player and Trotz piece together a top line to draw the opposing teams top defensive line. If not it will be a long year, and the kids will be ground to mush and there will be gnashing of teeth and crying why did we mot pick this guy or that guy.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Ribeiro is a terrible choice as a mentor, lacking most of the character, work ethic, and leadership qualities you would want in such a player. He does have talent though. We already have the types of vets you would want to surround a young player with, in guys like Legwand and Fisher, though if you're looking for someone that can actually score as well, then you're talking more about a guy like Ray Whitney.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
There's something to be said of Legwand's development. He wasn't exactly put in a position to succeed offensively. He spent 5 seasons playing on a very offensively defunct team, playing withvery little offensive support.

Cliff Ronning and Scott Walker were the two best forwards he was able to have around him. Not exactly world shattering offensive players.

It's more likely he wasn't able to develop his scoring ability at the NHL level, not because he didn't have one, but because the team around him limited it.
Why are people still stuck on this? And yes, Ronning would have lead this team in scoring easily.

First off, plenty of people put up good numbers in juniors and it doesn't translate to the NHL. When Legwand went back to juniors after being drafted, he was THIRD on his team in the scoring (behind two players that didn't make the NHL). That was one of the first telling signs that he wasn't going to come tear up the NHL with his offensive ability.

Once he got the NHL, he showed some signs of offensive ability, but missing were any indication that he had something special offensively. If you compare to Radulov-- anyone could see that guy had an "it" factor in the offensive zone that just needed time to blossom (though 26g in your 1st yr is nothing to scoff at). Legwand never had the "it" factor, and it's nobody's fault. He was overvalued as a prospect by many (thought not by some-- like the Sharks). However, it's not like there were a bunch of great prospects chosen after him. It was a bad draft year, especially the top 10. TB really won it with Lecavailier (a given at #1) and Richards (3rd rd)... two pieces that eventually helped them win the Cup.

A little known tidbit-- TB beat us out on signing Martin St Louis. How much of a franchise changer would THAT have been for us?

Barkovs numbers as a 17 yr old are very very impressive vs men (and even NHL players). I don't want to get caught up in draft hype and reading scouting reports, but if he's our guy, I hope if gives us that offensive "it" factor that we've been devoid of.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know where the Forsberg to center stuff is coming from.

Swede stopping by to add:

Forsberg last played center for Leksand's J20 SuperElit team in 2010-11.

When he was promoted to Leksand's mens team, he played wing, much like youngsters in the NHL do. Internationally for Sweden, he tended to play wing because there were older centers.

If the plan was for him to play center in the NHL, then he should have played center for Leksand this season but he didn't.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Scouting reports are far too often biased against the teams needs. Reading the scouting reports of the top 5 in this years draft varies pretty significntly according to which scout writes it up. A team that needs a large body with ability to score would rank Barkov better than Drouin or vice versus. There are 6 maybe 7 forwards that a case could be made for in the top 5. It will be DP's job to identify which one fits best here and the best way to use the pick. Be it move up a slot or down two depending on what the other teams are planning on doing. The only GM without this issue is Colorado who can do what ever they wish. Any GM would love to have that 1 pick and the leverage that can be used with it. But it would be a suprise if they did not take Jones.

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013
Why are people still stuck on this? And yes, Ronning would have lead this team in scoring easily.

First off, plenty of people put up good numbers in juniors and it doesn't translate to the NHL. When Legwand went back to juniors after being drafted, he was THIRD on his team in the scoring (behind two players that didn't make the NHL). That was one of the first telling signs that he wasn't going to come tear up the NHL with his offensive ability.

Once he got the NHL, he showed some signs of offensive ability, but missing were any indication that he had something special offensively. If you compare to Radulov-- anyone could see that guy had an "it" factor in the offensive zone that just needed time to blossom (though 26g in your 1st yr is nothing to scoff at). Legwand never had the "it" factor, and it's nobody's fault. He was overvalued as a prospect by many (thought not by some-- like the Sharks). However, it's not like there were a bunch of great prospects chosen after him. It was a bad draft year, especially the top 10. TB really won it with Lecavailier (a given at #1) and Richards (3rd rd)... two pieces that eventually helped them win the Cup.

A little known tidbit-- TB beat us out on signing Martin St Louis. How much of a franchise changer would THAT have been for us?

Barkovs numbers as a 17 yr old are very very impressive vs men (and even NHL players). I don't want to get caught up in draft hype and reading scouting reports, but if he's our guy, I hope if gives us that offensive "it" factor that we've been devoid of.
Look at Tootoo - he put up 74 pts in 51 games in the WHL before joining the Preds.
There is a link floating around here comparing Barkov's year to the Sedins that I think offers some decent comparables.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If legwand was 18 right now and played the same now as he did at eighteen when we drafted him, where would be rank in this draft?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad