Speculation: Who Should we Draft with Nashville's Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
I had previously posted this in the Rebuilding thread, but will update after every round:

Preds pick scenarios

30th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
29th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
28th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
27th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
26th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
25th pick - NOT POSSIBLE

24th pick - 3 Division Winners (ANA/MTL/NYR) make Conference Finals, OR 2 Division Winners (ANA/NYR) make Conference Finals + Tampa Bay.
23rd pick - 2 Division Winners (2 of ANA/MTL/NYR) make Conference Finals, OR 1 Division Winner (1 of ANA/NYR) makes Conference Finals + Tampa Bay
22nd pick - 1 Division Winner makes Conference Finals (1 of ANA/MTL/NYR), OR Zero Division Winners make Conference Finals (lower seeds advance), but Tampa Bay does make Conference Finals.
21st pick - Zero Division winners make the Conferences, and Tampa Bay fails to make Conference Finals.

If Tampa were to win tonight's game 7, the 21st pick scenario would be eliminated, as one of Tampa or Montreal would advance to the conference final.

If Tampa loses tonight, all the pick scenarios from 21 to 24 are still active, except that the secondary outcomes from those picks that involve Tampa Bay would no longer be valid.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I had previously posted this in the Rebuilding thread, but will update after every round:

Preds pick scenarios

30th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
29th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
28th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
27th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
26th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
25th pick - NOT POSSIBLE

24th pick - 3 Division Winners (ANA/MTL/NYR) make Conference Finals, OR 2 Division Winners (ANA/NYR) make Conference Finals + Tampa Bay.
23rd pick - 2 Division Winners (2 of ANA/MTL/NYR) make Conference Finals, OR 1 Division Winner (1 of ANA/NYR) makes Conference Finals + Tampa Bay
22nd pick - 1 Division Winner makes Conference Finals (1 of ANA/MTL/NYR), OR Zero Division Winners make Conference Finals (lower seeds advance), but Tampa Bay does make Conference Finals.
21st pick - Zero Division winners make the Conferences, and Tampa Bay fails to make Conference Finals.

If Tampa were to win tonight's game 7, the 21st pick scenario would be eliminated, as one of Tampa or Montreal would advance to the conference final.

If Tampa loses tonight, all the pick scenarios from 21 to 24 are still active, except that the secondary outcomes from those picks that involve Tampa Bay would no longer be valid.

People should have to read this post before entering any Leafs related threads.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Kenny Ryan and Tyler Biggs I agree with

It's not really impressive to make a point based on mis-information. Matt Frattin was drafted by the Leafs in the 4th round #99 overall. For a fourth round pick he's turned into a casual NHL'er and I feel that he was good value. He's paid dividends for our franchise as an honourable NHL/AHL player. His shot is valued on the Marlies and I really hope Nylander takes some power pointers

Jimmy Hayes isn't a sell-out, you're thinking of his brother Kevin Hayes. The Leafs traded Jimmy to the Hawks after they selected his brother. We had a great value pick in Jimmy Hayes, however, Burke elected to draft Brad Ross. I didn't really understand the move as the Leafs invested over two years of development into Jimmy just to move him

Jimmy Hayes is a sell out...rumors were going around that he wouldn't sign for Toronto and wanted to play with his brother..

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hanifin and Eriksson Ek would be amazing.

Yes. Ek is a climber though. Could see him going in the high teens. Also like Konecny, White or Harkins at forward. Zboril or Roy as D. I thought Nic Roy maybe but he isn't getting much love. Either way there will be some nice options at 24.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
The kid I would really love to pick if he for some reason fell is still Evgeny Svchnikov. He has everything you want in a big body winger. Size, Speed, Skill and determination to go into those gritty areas and the smarts to be not only a decent hockey player in the NHL but a really good hockey player. Whenever I get a chance to watch some Cape Breton games I always try and track this kid and he just seems to be a difference maker out there. My only concern is he seems to be a bit hot headed taking dumb penalties some times but as he is just a young kid that is something with proper vets surrounding him can be fixed.

I really doubt he is there when we pick and I know people don't want more wingers in our system but don't think about it as another winger. Think about it as another skilled player. (Who has size to boot!)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
updated:

2 things have to happen to get to 22: (not likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA

1 thing has to happen to get to 23: (likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA

2 things have to happen to stay at 24: (likely)
NYR beats WAS
ANA beats CAL

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I'm just assuming we end up at 24. Can't see Washington or Calgary winning so anything lower than that is extra.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'm just assuming we end up at 24. Can't see Washington or Calgary winning so anything lower than that is extra.

I agree. I have Anaheim and NYR in the cup final, but all it takes is one injury/upset and things could change.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, I think 24 is pretty likely. Take quite the bit of luck to move any further I suppose.

The only thing that seems remotely plausible is Washington finding a way to topple the Rangers. Even I can't see Calgary getting a miracle against the Ducks.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Yes. Ek is a climber though. Could see him going in the high teens. Also like Konecny, White or Harkins at forward. Zboril or Roy as D. I thought Nic Roy maybe but he isn't getting much love. Either way there will be some nice options at 24.

If you go through the list of players though, there are only so many good players that can climb without other good players dropping. I'm just hoping guys like Greenway and Bittner get taken in the teens so we don't take one of them. After Biggs, I'm wearing of massive American players that don't seem to be high on skill. Though given what Dubas has said, I don't think we'd go that route anyway -- but if someone else picks them then it means there's more skilled players available for us to take.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If you go through the list of players though, there are only so many good players that can climb without other good players dropping. I'm just hoping guys like Greenway and Bittner get taken in the teens so we don't take one of them. After Biggs, I'm wearing of massive American players that don't seem to be high on skill. Though given what Dubas has said, I don't think we'd go that route anyway -- but if someone else picks them then it means there's more skilled players available for us to take.

Luckily we have Hunter who has more say on the draft than Dubas on drafting. Hunter has shown he likes to draft bigger skilled guys ln Nash, Zadorov, and Perry as well as Kane. He is not one dimensional in thought process.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Jimmy Hayes is a sell out...rumors were going around that he wouldn't sign for Toronto and wanted to play with his brother..

Link please. People keep saying this but it's simply not true. Someone said it and now the rumour is being perpetuated. You're thinking of Kevin, or Billy Sweatt who's the guy that refused to sign around the time we traded jimmy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Luckily we have Hunter who has more say on the draft than Dubas on drafting. Hunter has shown he likes to draft bigger skilled guys ln Nash, Zadorov, and Perry as well as Kane. He is not one dimensional in thought process.

Hum, Dubas has never said he's anti-size/physical players. What are you rambling on about?

Dubas has said many times he likes his team big and physical. Look at SSM, they have plenty of big and skilled players. I don't understand why you're picking on Dubas for saying he wants to draft skill, no matter how big a player is. I'd say the Hunters are more proned to this way of thinking anyway with guys like Domi, Kane, Marner, Ruperts, etc over the years. Almost like they don't care about how big a player is, it matters how they play, how smart they are, their skill and their character. The horrors!

Nurse, Ganly, Sproul, Halverson, Matt Murray (AHL rookie of the year), Dempsey, Archibald, Broll, Nolan, Campbell, Muzzin, etc, were all big players that were drafted/scouted or acquired by Dubas while he was with the Greyhounds.

Neither of them are anti-size players... this is ridiculous.

Good lord...:help:

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Preds pick scenarios

30th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
29th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
28th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
27th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
26th pick - NOT POSSIBLE
25th pick - NOT POSSIBLE

Thanks man - this is presented so clear - you must be a teacher :nod:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hum, Dubas has never said he's anti-size/physical players. What are you rambling on about?

Dubas has said many times he likes his team big and physical. Look at SSM, they have plenty of big and skilled players. I don't understand why you're picking on Dubas for saying he wants to draft skill, no matter how big a player is. I'd say the Hunters are more proned to this way of thinking anyway with guys like Domi, Kane, Marner, Ruperts, etc over the years. Almost like they don't care about how big a player is, it matters how they play, how smart they are, their skill and their character. The horrors!

Nurse, Ganly, Sproul, Halverson, Matt Murray (AHL rookie of the year), Dempsey, Archibald, Broll, Nolan, Campbell, Muzzin, etc, were all big players that were drafted/scouted or acquired by Dubas while he was with the Greyhounds.

Agreed - they are Pro-skill and speed not anti-size...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Good post, most would wonder why you bother.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:laugh:

I would guess it would have something to do with Dubas's comments yesterday basically boiling down to the fact that the Leafs right now aren't in the position to draft based on size, but they have to get skill so if they have a team of elite smaller players and they get overwhelmed in the playoffs , it would be easier for them to trade for skilled, taller player with their skilled smaller forwards, than trading for skill with simply taller players.

(which always boils down to No Biggs, No Ross, and (sorry Freddy), no Gauthier picks)

Since then, there have been many many Mike Futa quotes saying that he (Futa) believes you can't have teams with smaller players (or whatever the exact quote is). Ignoring the fact that Hunter basically said the exact same thing - size is not going to be the main decider, which is why since that came out, it became a little less likely that Futa would be a choice here. (Unless that belief is only due to LA being a team of Giants - and that maybe if there was more investigation, maybe Futa would believe like Hunter/Dubas do, and would draft regardless of height).

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
updated:

2 things have to happen to get to 22: (not likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA

1 thing has to happen to get to 23: (likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA

2 things have to happen to stay at 24: (likely)
NYR beats WAS
ANA beats CAL

23 will be hard to get :(

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So pick 24 -

Harkins or Eriksson Ek are my preferences if they are on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad