Speculation: Who Should we Draft with Nashville's Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hum, Dubas has never said he's anti-size/physical players. What are you rambling on about?

Dubas has said many times he likes his team big and physical. Look at SSM, they have plenty of big and skilled players. I don't understand why you're picking on Dubas for saying he wants to draft skill, no matter how big a player is. I'd say the Hunters are more proned to this way of thinking anyway with guys like Domi, Kane, Marner, Ruperts, etc over the years. Almost like they don't care about how big a player is, it matters how they play, how smart they are, their skill and their character. The horrors!

Nurse, Ganly, Sproul, Halverson, Matt Murray (AHL rookie of the year), Dempsey, Archibald, Broll, Nolan, Campbell, Muzzin, etc, were all big players that were drafted/scouted or acquired by Dubas while he was with the Greyhounds.

Neither of them are anti-size players... this is ridiculous.

Good lord...:help:

Dubas is learning from Hunter right now. Sounds like with Nonis gone he has been reduced to being a mouthpiece because Shanny does not like to talk much.

I don't care what Dubas thinks or not thinks, sure he has his place on this Mgt team in his specialized role. But he is clearly still learning. I can only hope Burke and Futa are coming aboard to give Hunter a hand at rebuilding this team.

But his statement of easier trading skill for size speaks to his naivete as a NHL hockey exec. Gaborik for Frattin, St. Louis for Callahan. Who won those most recent deals?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dubas is learning from Hunter right now. Sounds like with Nonis gone he has been reduced to being a mouthpiece because Shanny does not like to talk much.

I don't care what Dubas thinks or not thinks, sure he has his place on this Mgt team in his specialized role. But he is clearly still learning. I can only hope Burke and Futa are coming aboard to give Hunter a hand at rebuilding this team.

But his statement of easier trading skill for size speaks to his naivete as a NHL hockey exec. Gaborik for Frattin, St. Louis for Callahan. Who won those most recent deals?

It's not naive at all. And you again misconstruct what he said to pick on him. I don't know why you hate and completely twist Dubas down in negativity with everything he says. If he says black, you have to say white was the answer. Ever since he was hired. It's pretty weird and frankly, disturbing.

What's naive is thinking Dubas isn't smart enough to realize that he has to replicate what Futa said or did. Dubas has been in the business long enough to know that there are multiple ways of drafting and building a team, none of them are linear and narrow minded. Hunter needs to learn just as much as Dubas.

He said that it's easier to trade small and skilled player for size if needed then it is to trade size for skill, no matter the size.

So while you throw 2 extremely poor examples that you think makes your point like St-Louis for Callahan (both under 6', and wingers, by the way) and Gaborik (little value to no at the time) for Frattin (zero value at the time), it really doesn't change the fact that skill (big or small player) is tougher to trade for then size and lesser skill.

So it comes down to at this point of our rebuild, which is essentially not even 6 months old, why is there some sort of focus on the position and size of a player compared to our current prospect pool. Is this the only year we have to have the chance to draft a big center that has skill, or a defender that can skate and defend? Is there not a long-term outlook to drafting and building a team? Nylander, Brown and Leipsic are good/great prospects, but adding someone like Marner to them really doesn't make our focus on small wingers, it makes our focus on very skilled players that have strong character and have huge competes level.

The focus should always be about picking the player that will have the most value based on skill, skating and smarts. If 2 prospects are equally close to in terms of skill level, skating and smarts, then obviously the bigger player will be chosen because it makes sense. If Marner is seen as the third best prospect in terms of skill and everything else but size, why shoot yourself in the foot just because the size aspect isn't there? I don't get it.

I'm pretty much done defending Dubas though when really, his actions and words speak for themselves. You can cling on the words of Futa and completely misinterpret what Dubas is saying to fit your narrative.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No one hates Dubas. He is what he is. He has no track record in the NHL to truly dislike or like as a hockey Exec. This card is ridiculous to play, and one that needs to be addressed. Though I rather not at all but am forced to since it has been insinuated here.

He brings a different skill set to the Leafs Mgt team. Shanahan knows he is not ready to be a NHL GM. Dubas even knows this. He is here to assist the new VP/GM coming in, perhaps the 2nd exec that we may hire and Mark Hunter. And Shanahan ultimately. This is all for now.

Can he become a NHL GM one day? Maybe, maybe not. No one knows, his resume is still too small a sampling to gauge this.

Dubas has just 2 years exp in the OHL as a GM with Sault St Marie. It's important to remember this. He is still very young, and he still has a lot to learn.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
Thanks to all for the kind words re: my previous posts.

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to default to basically expecting the worst outcome possible, so pick #24.

I have a hard time seeing Anaheim losing, so the 22nd pick seems very unlikely. However, I can see both the Rangers and Habs losing, since the East has been tooth and nail all season, especially between TB & MTL. Likewise, if Ovi and the boys get a few early PP's and get it rolling offensively, they can win games singlehandedly with that PP.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Thanks to all for the kind words re: my previous posts.

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to default to basically expecting the worst outcome possible, so pick #24.

I have a hard time seeing Anaheim losing, so the 22nd pick seems very unlikely. However, I can see both the Rangers and Habs losing, since the East has been tooth and nail all season, especially between TB & MTL. Likewise, if Ovi and the boys get a few early PP's and get it rolling offensively, they can win games singlehandedly with that PP.

Tampa has done well in the season vs them.

I think Tampa has more offensive pop then Ottawa. Montreal is having a hard time scoring.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
No one hates Dubas. He is what he is. He has no track record in the NHL to truly dislike or like as a hockey Exec. This card is ridiculous to play, and one that needs to be addressed. Though I rather not at all but am forced to since it has been insinuated here.

He brings a different skill set to the Leafs Mgt team. Shanahan knows he is not ready to be a NHL GM. Dubas even knows this. He is here to assist the new VP/GM coming in, perhaps the 2nd exec that we may hire and Mark Hunter. And Shanahan ultimately. This is all for now.

Can he become a NHL GM one day? Maybe, maybe not. No one knows, his resume is still too small a sampling to gauge this.

Dubas has just 2 years exp in the OHL as a GM with Sault St Marie. It's important to remember this. He is still very young, and he still has a lot to learn.

this situation reminds me of Moneyball

Brad Pitt = Billy Beane = Shanahan
Jonah Hill = Peter Brand = Dubas

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

if you had the choice of getting Gabroik for basically nothing. (which is what Columbus did) or getting another winger and you had to trade Pearson/Toffoli/Higher pick, which would you choose? Just wondering. Because that's how/why the LA deal went down - Columbus was basically giving away Gabroik.

St Louis is 5'8, Callahan is 5'11. St Louis basically tied Yzerman's hands, and Sather didn't want to lose an asset, so I'd say both teams kind of won that deal.

of course you don't care what Dubas thinks/don't thinks. He's not saying things you want to hear. But then, to be fair, even if he did you'd probably find something else to grump about him anyway.

buttman*

Seriously? I can't believe anyone thinks that is a good idea.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
they have been scouting the heck out of Harkins. he sounds like a v. smart player.

Where did you hear that? Not doubting you, but happy to know.

He's a 6'2 2-way centre - I've heard comparisons to Krejci/Toews in terms of play style. You need that kind of player in the line up.

You want guys in the top 6 who you can trust defensively. As of right now, I trust none of our top 6 guys.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

He's a 6'2 2-way centre - I've heard comparisons to Krejci/Toews in terms of play style. You need that kind of player in the line up.

You want guys in the top 6 who you can trust defensively. As of right now, I trust none of our top 6 guys.

just following it from twitter, and I know my friend mentioned it to me several times but i don't know where he got it from. (lol I always say i should have a notebook by my laptop, where i gain things from/when i heard it because people always like to say "Where?" or "Source" or "Link?" and I always feel so dumb going "umm.. the radio?")

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
just following it from twitter, and I know my friend mentioned it to me several times but i don't know where he got it from. (lol I always say i should have a notebook by my laptop, where i gain things from/when i heard it because people always like to say "Where?" or "Source" or "Link?" and I always feel so dumb going "umm.. the radio?")

Nah that is fine.

I hear stuff on the radio and twitter all the time.

Good to know. Here is hoping Harkins drops to us with our 2nd pick.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Nah that is fine.

I hear stuff on the radio and twitter all the time.

Good to know. Here is hoping Harkins drops to us with our 2nd pick.

Yeah! :)
Me too. he sounds like a good egg. :nod: super smart and everything.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah! :)
Me too. he sounds like a good egg. :nod: super smart and everything.

I also want us to get a 2nd round pick (at least one). I would love Dergatchev.

6'4-6'6 (i've seen some different heights on various sites) who can play centre. Has skill but happy to muck it up along the wall or in front of the net. Might drop due to the Russian factor, but maybe not too much.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Harkins and Ek should be the targets. Both large two-way C's with offensive potential, could be a steal this late in the draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed. Especially with Nylander already in the system. Putting him with a larger, hard-working, two-way player could be money.

If we drafted Hanifin, and drafted Eriksson-Ek and Dergachev (he's listed at C, that is a solid start to a rebuild.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If skill is the target - Konecny, Bracco, Stephens, White, Ek could be targets but let's face it - there's a lot of players with potential here.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
If skill is the target - Konecny, Bracco, Stephens, White, Ek could be targets but let's face it - there's a lot of players with potential here.

What do you mean by this ? skill should always be a priority, size comes as a bonus, not the other way around !! Bracco or Ek for me

Swayze*

If we drafted Hanifin, and drafted Eriksson-Ek and Dergachev (he's listed at C, that is a solid start to a rebuild.

If we're able to trade some core pieces for picks we could have a VERY good start to this rebuild a la Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad