Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Buium by a lot there, imo. I dont think Buium is offense only either, and for me it would be Dickinson vs. Buium.
Okay then if you pick Buium over Parekh, then as you said you still have to figure out Buium vs Dickinson.

But then after that you have to figure out Buium/Dickinson vs Levshunov and Silayev.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

2. Chicago Blackhawks: Artyom Levshunov, RHD, Michigan State-Big Ten

Our colleague Scott Powers believes it’s down to Levshunov or SKA winger Ivan Demidov for Chicago. Both are great prospects, but history has shown if it’s close the NHL team often will lean to the big defenseman over the smaller winger.

20. Chicago Blackhawks: Igor Chernyshov, RW, Dynamo Moscow-KHL

Teams have Chernyshov rated a bit higher than this on talent but because he is Russian, I could see him get to around the 20 spot. His size, speed, skill and compete could be highly intriguing to Chicago.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Okay then if you pick Buium over Parekh, then as you said you still have to figure out Buium vs Dickinson.

But then after that you have to figure out Buium/Dickinson vs Levshunov and Silayev.
Silayev isnt even in the conversation for me. Not enough offensive upside, he's big, but not Chara mean, and he has the Russian factor. If the Hawks ignore the Russian factor, its Demidov all day.

For me it goes
Dickinson/Buium
Levshunov
Parekh
Silayev

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
If you say "Russian factor" the only thing you're doing is letting everyone know that you're 50+ years old.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Buium
Dickinson
Levshunov
Parekh

Would be my defense preference at the top of the draft. Buium is the most well rounded where he has dynamic offensive ability and can also play defense. Dickinson and Lev are the safe bets to become good all round D but don’t have the upside. While Parekh may have the most upside but also the most risk to fizzle out and become nothing, could be Erik Karlson or Ryan Murphy. Too much risk for me there. I think Buium has the best chance to become a star that can hold his own on D

Forgot about silayev he would be right there with Lev and Dickinson

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
There's a Russian factor, its not even debatable.
I guess but just cause of travel issues the past few years. Simashev and But went earlier then expected and Michkov went later but because he made it known he was picking his spot.

I cant think of any players that have really dropped. Askarov Svechnikov Denisenko Sergachev Provorov Gurianov all went where they shouldve.. Maybe Miroshenko or Podkolzin ? We will see if Demidov drops at all it seems hes consensus top 2-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedarkstark

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I guess but just cause of travel issues the past few years. Simashev and But went earlier then expected and Michkov went later but because he made it known he was picking his spot.

I cant think of any players that have really dropped. Askarov Svechnikov Podkolzin Denisenko Sergachev Provorov Gurianov all went where they shouldve.. Maybe Miroshenko? We will see if Demidov drops at all it seems hes consensus top 2-5.
But Michkov could do that, because he can say he is just staying in Russia, not many other players have that bargaining power. (Arizona just sucks at drafting) Some teams have issues with drafting Russians, I just cant say if Chicago is that type of team or not, so thats why I mention the Russian factor.

Most of the other players you mentioned were drafted before the current Russian issue, I dont think the Russian factor comes into play as much when you are talking about mid 1st round picks, but when its a top 3-5 pick, it plays a factor.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Most of the other players you mentioned were drafted before the current Russian issue, I dont think the Russian factor comes into play as much when you are talking about mid 1st round picks, but when its a top 3-5 pick, it plays a factor.
Issue is you're seriously narrowing the scope to the point of invisibility. Russians that were projected top 3-5 picks in the last two years is basically one guy.

Reactions: thedarkstark

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Issue is you're seriously narrowing the scope to the point of invisibility. Russians that were projected top 3-5 picks in the last two years is basically one guy.
True, there isn't a whole lot of high end talent being drafted out of Russia. Probably because they dont get to scout it as much and/or as thoroughly, but there is still definitely a factor, whether it be teams are shy to draft them in fear they dont come over, or they dont have enough viewings of the player to make a determination on them.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
imagine saying theres no russian factor when they're banned from international play atm, that has to affect draft stock, then throw in the khl contracts and whether they'll want to leave right away...theres a ton to consider there relative to other countries..the the importance of the factor is magnified as the pick gets higher

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If you have great edge work(he does), explosiveness and speed can be developed. He's a great skater. Great skaters can get faster. McDavid is as fast as he is because of his edgework.
Makar has elite elite edge work too

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
imagine saying theres no russian factor when they're banned from international play atm, that has to affect draft stock, then throw in the khl contracts and whether they'll want to leave right away...theres a ton to consider there relative to other countries..the the importance of the factor is magnified as the pick gets higher

Banned from international play, have been banned from playing in US junior leagues until this year, the NHL/KHL agreement is dissolved, there are basically zero North American scouts in Russia, and they are pressuring their players to stay in Russia. Yeah, no Russian factor at all.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The astute move is probably hang on to the 2nd overall and do what it takes (within reason) to move up from 20th . In 2021 Yzerman flipped 23rd 2nd rder and 5th rder to move up to 15. It's doable imo.
Agreed on "best case", especially because the Hawks have a ton of draft capital to utilize to move up.

With that said - each draft is different based on where the perceived "tiers" are within the prospects. I'd love to be able to move up, but when there is a fall-off at the 15/16 range it makes it tougher to move up from 20.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People are so bad at articulating the "Russian Factor", lol.

The factor is they come over late, if they're a later pick because they're less inclined to play in the AHL, and they are more inclined to leave during RFA years if they aren't getting good ice time.

By all means, if people are concerned with drafting a player that will bounce around a bunch of different rosters for a decade (a Jack Skille special if you will), remove all Russians from your draft board. However, that does essentially nothing for your roster as far as what NHL teams should be thinking about with draft selections.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Banned from international play, have been banned from playing in US junior leagues until this year, the NHL/KHL agreement is dissolved, there are basically zero North American scouts in Russia, and they are pressuring their players to stay in Russia. Yeah, no Russian factor at all.
right and then you factor in that this is only their 2nd blue chip pick in the Bedard rebuild era, they really can't afford to be 3-4 years out and dealing with are they coming over or not or what might impact that, could something geopolitical happen etc...if the draft board is close they should reduce any and all external risk and just go with someone from CHL or college hockey, they need everything at this point anyway, if they had 4 other top 10 picks in the pipeline then sure maybe take a shot but they NEED to hit on this to help Bedard and that ceiling, the prospect pool ranking means nothing until it starts to prove out with wins

Reactions: Pez68

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
if the ceiling for Lev is someone like Weeger why not just move down a few spots and take Tij or shop the pick for a young talented player like Brady Tkachuk to play with Bedard

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
right and then you factor in that this is only their 2nd blue chip pick in the Bedard rebuild era, they really can't afford to be 3-4 years out and dealing with are they coming over or not or what might impact that, could something geopolitical happen etc...if the draft board is close they should reduce any and all external risk and just go with someone from CHL or college hockey, they need everything at this point anyway, if they had 4 other top 10 picks in the pipeline then sure maybe take a shot but they NEED to hit on this to help Bedard and that ceiling, the prospect pool ranking means nothing until it starts to prove out with wins
Demidov and Silayev both want to come over.

So Russian factor isn't really relevant regarding who we pick.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad