Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I've complained a lot about Bedard's wing talent, so I'll stay consistent and don't pass up the chance to add another potentially elite forward to play with the franchise star. Give him his Rantanen/Nylander!

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If you got Rinzel, Vlasic, Luv, Korchinski, Seth, Del Maestro, Allan etc in your defense group in a year that group is all but taken care of then you got a ton of draft capital, probably another high pick in 25 and cap space to add to Bedard, Moore, Nazar, Reichel, Kurashev etc...the forward group needs help but so does defense until you know for sure you have a true 1 in that group...if the ceilings are similar relative to position for ncaa kids vs demidov but floor is more stable then it might be smart to just keep adding to the defense and you can always deal from strength later on if needed

Reactions: Idionym

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Podkolzin never had great production. More so a big in your face guy that forechecked well and went to dirty areas type with some good hands. They're not very similar as prospects other than both coming through the same system.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Probably reading into things too much but KD calling it a win to pick 2 probably means they think 1 and 2 are more 1a and 1b this year. And when he was asked to comment on how talented the defense group was I almost got the feeling like they're not going that direction so they don't care because he didn't mention names and was kind of just like yeah its a good group etc...They might've just wanted one of Celebrini or Demidov if the ceilings are comparable...again probably reading way too much into this, maybe pick 2 is a win because it removes the guessing game and they still address a need
His interview with Pat Boyle and Charlie Roumeliotis made it seem like he has no idea who they're picking at 2.

Lot of talk about all the homework they have to do now, plus building preliminary draft boards.

Reactions: Crow

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Podkolzin had a odd period of maybe being seen that high, but he was more of a talk of a Hawks pick before they won the lottery for 3rd.

I remember watching Podz and Turcotte and both had 1 quality that bothered me. They seriously had no goals shooting the puck. Tons of highlight of all their plays, neither had good enough shots to think they were going to be producing at an NHL level enough.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kind of reminds of the 2019 Dach draft…1st and 2nd were locks and the draft really started at #3 and Chicago…

1.NJ Jack Hughes
2.NYR Kaapo Kakko

3.was between Kirby Dach, Bowen Byram, Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras, Alex Turcotte, etc, etc
Except it's not like that at all because Demidov isn't a lock at 2.

Picks 2-5 in this draft all have the same value.

Reactions: pvr

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I meant from time of lottery to draft day, pretty sure both Podkolzin and Michkov were top 3 when the draft order came out, Podkolzin for sure because Hawks were picking 3rd that year

It's just not clear to me how this means that Demidov would be a bad pick.

Podkolzin to me is not comparable as a prospect to Michkov and Demidov. Just not on the same level. As of Michkov, it remains to be seen whether teams made a mistake passing on him. Just because he wasn't taken top 5, doesn't mean he won't be a spectacular success story.

One reason why Demidov won't slide as much as Michkov is that he doesn't have a polarizing personality. The other reason is that this year's draft is not as deep. Hawks might still pass on him because he's Russian, but that's a decision they might regret later.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I am hoping for a none of the above someone offers a stupid package and we trade down. My dream scenario is Montreal loves Demidov and offers #5, #27 and a top 10 protected 1st next year in an NFL style stooopid overpay. (Ottawa is a my 2nd option holding #7 and Boston's pick....but their future 1st are confusing as they have to forfeit one soon).

I just don't think there is much difference between any of the guys in the 2-7/8 range. Yes someone in that group will end up better than the rest and you are better off having the first choice of all those options....but it is far from a guaranteed even with first dibs it will be who the experts (the Hawks included) think at this point. If we trade down with Montreal to #5, we at worst have a choice of the 3rd best D (in a draft where consensus is there are 4 or 5 with top pairing potential) as Celebrini and Demidov are 2 of the 4 picks in front of us with Anaheim almost certain to go D and Columbus MAYBE (it would not shock me if they went forward either) taking the 2nd D off the board.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
How can you tell Demidov is the goods or not if he's playing in a sub-tier Russian league? I'm aware there's some nonsense reasoning for why he's being jerked around but I'm curious as to how he can be properly evaluated playing against weak competition

What's so sub-tier about the MHL? If anything the MHL is stronger now than it used to be since so many Russian juniors have stayed in the country.

Russian MHLers are actually quite underscouted and underrated. There are many hidden gems in that league who will go much lower than they should. For example, Egor Surin is a terrific prospect; most people are still sleeping on him.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It's just not clear to me how this means that Demidov would be a bad pick.

Podkolzin to me is not comparable as a prospect to Michkov and Demidov. Just not on the same level. As of Michkov, it remains to be seen whether teams made a mistake passing on him. Just because he wasn't taken top 5, doesn't mean he won't be a spectacular success story.

One reason why Demidov won't slide as much as Michkov is that he doesn't have a polarizing personality. The other reason is that this year's draft is not as deep. Hawks might still pass on him because he's Russian, but that's a decision they might regret later.
I didn't mean for it to come off like it would be good or bad pick, just that it seems like the last few years we've had a russian forward that projects well and is highly skilled but slips down the board as certain players move up, defense etc. But like you said this draft might not have the depth to have that occur

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That was the point, lol.

He's saying pick 2 in this draft has similar/same value to the next few picks. Similar to how pick 3 & after had similar value in Dach's draft year.
I mean he quite literally compared it to a draft with a consensus 1 and 2. Not sure how else I'm supposed to interpret that.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Crow

May 19, 2014
Hoping for Levshunov, expecting Demidov because I’m reading into things too much too. I hope it’s not Lindstrom or Silayev. Would be okay with trading down for Dickinson, Buium. Doubt that happens.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I mean he quite literally compared it to a draft with a consensus 1 and 2. Not sure how else I'm supposed to interpret that.

The part where he said the draft started (at 3) with Chicago then listed all the players that were speculated to go at 3 that year. Just like how the real draft starts with our pick this year at 2 where numerous players are up for speculation.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
6'3 194lbs at 17
left handed defenceman
70 points (18g,52a) in 68 games played +56 in the regular season
amazing two way dman who can skate with the best of them

That's who I want. Get a forward next year. McKenna come on down and then rebuild is complete.

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
What worries me is SKA and personally Rotenberg. Demidov should have balls to say him good bye. Because in russian hockey Rotenberg has big power, unfortunately. He can pressure and manipulate.

It's going to be a hard decision for the Hawks.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
6'3 194lbs at 17
left handed defenceman
70 points (18g,52a) in 68 games played +56 in the regular season
amazing two way dman who can skate with the best of them

That's who I want. Get a forward next year. McKenna come on down and then rebuild is complete.
Welcome to HF, Kyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad