Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It's rough when you're picking 2nd overall and instead of there being a consensus, there's like 5 names in contention.

The fans here seem to overwhelmingly want Ivan Demidov.

Mike Doneghey probably wants Artyom Levshunov.

Kyle Davidson probably wants Sam Dickinson.

I think Anton Silayev is the way to go, though Cayden Lindstrom has lots of upside too (only if he's healthy). I'm also very fond of Tij Iginla as he's the player in the draft with the most dog in him.

I really have no idea what's going to happen.

Reactions: ello

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Demidov obvious pick for me but wouldn’t be mad if we went Buium. I think the ideal haul is Demidov at 2 then Freij at 20

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
How can you tell Demidov is the goods or not if he's playing in a sub-tier Russian league? I'm aware there's some nonsense reasoning for why he's being jerked around but I'm curious as to how he can be properly evaluated playing against weak competition

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
does Tij have that Tkachuk type upside? Matthew...if so, maybe trade down a few spots and snag him

if Demidov was like your 4th or 5th top 10 pick being added to this rebuild then fine but they cannot afford to have this go south because of the russian factor or him playing in some smaller league with inferior competition etc, especially if the gap between him and the others isn't much, they need everything still, yes the pool is ranked high but its a lot of good but not elite at this point

Reactions: Auggie

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Take the Demigod !!! Pavel Datsyuk 2.

At Center Bedard Moore Nazar Greene Safonov Ludwinski Stjernborg Gutman Thompson

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
How can you tell Demidov is the goods or not if he's playing in a sub-tier Russian league? I'm aware there's some nonsense reasoning for why he's being jerked around but I'm curious as to how he can be properly evaluated playing against weak competition
It's a legitimate concern with him.

The skill gap between him and the bottom of the MHL is galaxies apart.
does Tij have that Tkachuk type upside? Matthew...if so, maybe trade down a few spots and snag him
He isn't that right now, but I could see him growing into a similar role.

I'm more than fine with taking him at 2. I wouldn't trade down.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Change my mind every five minutes. Really don’t have a clue who should be drafted.

Would be most ok with either Russian. Otherwise trade down and don’t reach.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't know anything about these prospects so I'm hoping if KD does take someone off the board (not Demidov or Levshunov) then he trades down from 2 to get some assets back. If he just drafts Dickinson or whoever at #2 I think that'd be a major waste of an opportunity

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
I think you can evaluate Demidov against bad competition by looking at his instincts. How does he manipulate space and always get open? It looks like it will be good against pros and there’s some risk but it’s all there for hockey sense. I think the hands and sense project to be elite as a pro

Reactions: Muffinalt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Demidov should be pick though I wouldn't be shocked if Hawks continue to stockup on D and goe Levshunov especially with him adding a blue chip RD to our group

I echo @x Tame Impala that If for some reason Davidson wants to grab Dickinson or someone of that caliber then he better trade down. It would be waste to use #2 on that

Reactions: pvr

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Michkov was picked 7 last year, and the general consensus is that he's better than Demidov. Are we reaching or is this just a weaker draft?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think you can evaluate Demidov against bad competition by looking at his instincts. How does he manipulate space and always get open? It looks like it will be good against pros and there’s some risk but it’s all there for hockey sense. I think the hands and sense project to be elite as a pro
The thing is, he still has issues in his game when you watch him in the MHL.

He does a lot of dangling and lapping around the ice which results in nothing happening or turnovers. It's cool that he can do those things, but it's very inneficient and it won't fly in the NHL imo.

He can adapt. And I'm sure he will. But then what are you left with?

He had a tiny sample size against men this year and although he didn't look out of place, he also wasn't doing any of the highlight reel things you see him do in the MHL.

He's also a small player. Strong on his skates, but there's no physical side to his game. And he's not committed to playing defense.

I just think there's a lot of question marks there.

He could be the pick at #2, but it's far from a foregone conclusion. It's not a slam dunk pick imo.

Reactions: Auggie

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I don't know anything about these prospects so I'm hoping if KD does take someone off the board (not Demidov or Levshunov) then he trades down from 2 to get some assets back. If he just drafts Dickinson or whoever at #2 I think that'd be a major waste of an opportunity
This isn’t the nfl. Trading down is very rare. If they have Iginla/Dickinson/whoever at 2 on their board they’ll just take them

Reactions: Space umpire

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I wonder if him being Russian and the war if this will factor into his availability and the Blackhawks thinking in drafting him. Would love to have him but there are other factors involved influencing the decision, would not be surprised if the Hawks pass and he falls down the board. You can’t choose someone with the second pick and there is a chance he can’t come.

Reactions: Auggie and BHFAN92

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder if him being Russian and the war if this will factor into his availability and the Blackhawks thinking in drafting him. Would love to have him but there are other factors involved influencing the decision, would not be surprised if the Hawks pass and he falls down the board. You can’t choose someone with the second pick and there is a chance he can’t come.
They took Roman Kantserov with a second just last year. I doubt they’re concerned.

Reactions: Muffinalt

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This isn’t the nfl. Trading down is very rare. If they have Iginla/Dickinson/whoever at 2 on their board they’ll just take them
Dickinson and Iginla are ranked 6th and 10th on MKenzie's list. I know that's not gospel but I find it hard to imagine CBJ, MTL, and Utah wouldn't want to trade up

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

Hawks are owned by a family of liquor barons, if it's believed Demidov is worth it they know how to grease the wheels.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68 and ytsejam

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Dickinson and Iginla are ranked 6th and 10th on MKenzie's list. I know that's not gospel but I find it hard to imagine CBJ, MTL, and Utah wouldn't want to trade up
Pick for pick trades don’t happen like that in the nhl. Iginla/Dickinson was just me spitballing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad