Who Should the Arizona Coyotes pick at six?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If I’m AZ, I’d be thrilled to get 2 of Reinbacher, Moore, Dvorsky.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
it depends on who is available. The problem is they need D and the forward group is really good. But, next year there will be way better D prospects I think.

Assuming the top 5 is an assortment of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, and Smith, they have a lot of good options.

They could go Reinbacher. Solid two-way guy that could probably play in the NHL very soon.

Benson would be a great option for them but I think they go with Ryan Leonard.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's classic athletic horseshit. This company is the worst scam in the history of all sports and I really don't get how it's still accepted as a source on this board.

Those morons have talked to exactly nobody but pulled this bs outta their smelly holes. Not even have they clearly never watched the players they talk about, they're also too dumb to look up stats available for everyone. I recommend reading the Reinbacher thread and this post specifically. Sorry, but it literally doesn't get any dumber than this article.

How stupid do you have to be to publish an article quoting "NHL scouts" with obviously false information:facepalm:

Post in thread 'D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023 Draft)' D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023 Draft)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I might be the only Coyotes fan excited about Reinbacher at 6 OA.
I think he's in the Nemec - Jiricek value zone but I'm not going to try convincing anyone who disagrees.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's classic athletic horseshit. This company is the worst scam in the history of all sports and I really don't get how it's still accepted as a source on this board.

Those morons have talked to exactly nobody but pulled this bs outta their smelly holes. Not even have they clearly never watched the players they talk about, they're also too dumb to look up stats available for everyone. I recommend reading the Reinbacher thread and this post specifically. Sorry, but it literally doesn't get any dumber than this article.

How stupid do you have to be to publish an article quoting "NHL scouts" with obviously false information:facepalm:

Post in thread 'D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023 Draft)' D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023 Draft)
You need to get some help. I hope it all gets better.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Smells like a positional reach. The McKenzie poll had him 10th. And I’m guessing there was already a fair bit of “gotta get a blueliner in here somewhere”.

Drance released a lengthy article today interviewing four NHL scouts from various teams, as well. They all seemed to think Vancouver’s puck was about as early as was conceivably appropriate to pick a defenseman without having to own up to reaching for position.

When the NHL scouts are all saying the same things and there’s a consensus on the rankings, I’m inclined not to stick up for a kid too much. Especially if he doesn’t have any of those stand out, eye popping qualities.

Some team might reach for a blueliner early. I’m not sure it will be Arizona. They seem pretty honest about the rebuild still being years away from completion. Their GM was saying as recently as yesterday that he doesn’t care about positional need. That he wants to stack good player on top of good player and can sort out positional stuff later. He says that a lot. I believe him.
I respect the work McKenzie does. Some of the of the best lists out there year after year.
Having said that, the scouts he talk to don't seem to know Switzerland very well. Here's an example from 2021:

Mason McTavish ended up going 3rd overall but McKenzie had him at 11.
Brennan Othmann ended up going 16th but McKenzie had him at 25.
JJ Moser ended up going 60th but didn't make McKenzie's top100.

Expect him to be wrong about Reinbacher as well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You need to get some help. I hope it all gets better.
I'm not the one asking for money in exchange for fake news and I'm also not the one buying data to flood people's mailboxes so I'm not quite sure how I should be the one in need of help. Maybe you can tell me?

Besides...regarding Reinbacher's stats again...it's public information. A 2min google search would have done. This is "journalism" at the worst possible level.

rt

May 13, 2004
I respect the work McKenzie does. Some of the of the best lists out there year after year.
Having said that, the scouts he talk to don't seem to know Switzerland very well. Here's an example from 2021:

Great. I’m not going to expect it, though. It’s certainly possible. I’d never say it wasn’t. But with the information I have available, I’m not expecting it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

McKenzie had McTavish 4th
McKenzie had Othmann 16th
Moser was a double overager who was a scout's pocket pick, they are always a surprise selection.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm not the one asking for money in exchange for fake news and I'm also not the one buying data to flood people's mailboxes.
Also...again...regarding Reinbacher's stats...it's public information. A 2min google search would have done. This is "journalism" at the worst possible level.
If you think Thomas Drance invented made up NHL scouts for his article, there’s nothing I can tell you.

McKenzie had McTavish 4th
McKenzie had Othmann 16th
Hooo boy…

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In his final rankings, yes. But not at this time of the year:

Of course the rankings changed, we see they were both ranked correctly come the draft. Doesn't matter when the rankings came out. They were both ranked exactly where they went

2021 was a fractured year where guys never played, and some started in January, of course the timing is different

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you think Thomas Drance invented made up NHL scouts for his article, there’s nothing I can tell you.

Hooo boy…
If you think an actual NHL scouts would just put fake stats out there then I don't know what to tell you either...
Also, that "information" the "scouts" gave doesn't indicate they ever watched any of the players they talk about. But hey, you're free to believe what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: rt

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I'd love to see Benson and Cooley on the same line. The combination of skill and IQ would be a joy to watch. Both are feisty despite below average size. Guenther or whoever else is lucky enough to play with them just needs to be ready to shoot at all times and they'd rack up the goals.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Of course the rankings changed, we see they were both ranked correctly
No. At this point two years ago they weren't. None of the three. He adjusted Othmann's and McTavish's ranking but only based on international games. Moser was never listed. That indicates that inside his network, nobody really watches Swiss ice hockey. Can't blame McKenzie because few players get drafted out of Switzerland. I just wanted to give some perspective and indicate why Reinbacher might go earlier than he's on McKenzie's latest list. If Reinbacher plays well at the world championships, I expect McKenzie to change his list accordingly anyway.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd love to see Benson and Cooley on the same line. The combination of skill and IQ would be a joy to watch. Both are feisty despite below average size. Guenther or whoever else is lucky enough to play with them just needs to be ready to shoot at all times and they'd rack up the goals.
I love Benson. I’ve got him 3rd on my list. I’m convinced he’s going to be a star. I don’t expect AZ to draft him, unfortunately. As much as I want that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No. At this point two years ago they weren't. None of the three. He adjusted Othmann's and McTavish's ranking but only based on international games. Moser was never listed. That indicates that inside his network, nobody really watches Swiss ice hockey. Can't blame McKenzie because few players get drafted out of Switzerland. I just wanted to give some perspective and indicate why Reinbacher might go earlier than he's on McKenzie's latest list. If Reinbacher plays well at the world championships, I also expect McKenzie to change his list accordingly.
2021 was months behind....the entire draft was a crap shoot. Rankings changed more that season than ever before, based on limited/no games, and so many missed players from the 2020 draft that was cut short through the season.

Seasons never happened, or started in Jan/Febrary. McTavish never even stepped on the ice in Switzerland until January 30th.

Again, Moser was a 20/21 year, he was in his 3rd year eligible.

How many guys in their 3rd year eligible have ever been ranked, or drafted? None in North America, as they are not eligible to be drafted, and very few in Europe because teams generally sign them as free wallets or let them mature into future UFA picks.

Arizona made a very shrewd pick, very, very shrewd, but to think that Moser was under-scouted or not known by scouts because he wasn't ranked in the top 100 of a draft for guys born in 2003 as a June born 2000, not sure what to tell you.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Let's just say I have a different view of Reinbacher. I think he's a lot closer than 3-4 years away, more like 1-2. And though I don't think he's a high scorer or a #1D, a good #2 is worth taking in the top 10, and I think he has that. The skating, passing, defending combo is all really good.

Saying he doesn't have a physical dimension or high compete is basically saying that scout didn't REALLY watch Reinbacher. I've seen that kid lay out some adults in that league and his hustle is top notch.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
2021 was months behind....the entire draft was a crap shoot. Rankings changed more that season than ever before, based on limited/no games, and so many missed players from the 2020 draft that was cut short through the season.

Seasons never happened, or started in Jan/Febrary. McTavish never even stepped on the ice in Switzerland until January 30th.

Again, Moser was a 20/21 year, he was in his 3rd year eligible.

How many guys in their 3rd year eligible have ever been ranked, or drafted? None in North America, as they are eligible to sign as a free agent, and very few in Europe because teams generally sign them as free wallets.

Arizona made a very shrewd pick, very, very shrewd, but to think that Moser was under-scouted or not known by scouts because he wasn't ranked in the top 100 of a draft for guys born in 2003 as a June born 2000, not sure what to tell you.

That's not a valid argument.
Othmann and McTavish left Switzerland in mid march. McKenzie's list I posted is from 19th of april. He had over a month after the kids last game in Switzerland to adjust his rankings. He didn't. It was far off. He only changed it based on their international success. So my point of his network not watching Switzerland still stands. Again, no knock on McKenzie. I'm just providing context and I wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie change his ranking based on Reinbacher's most likely soon to come international success as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad