Who should sing the anthems on Saturday?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:D

OK this is just tongue in cheek but poor Rene Rancourt is having a rough season.

He has sung the anthem 5 times this year and the Bruins have gone 0-5-0 :cry:

• October 8th Winnipeg LOSS
  • October 10th Montreal LOSS
  • October 12th Tampa Bay LOSS
  • November 3rd Dallas LOSS
  • November 17th San Jose LOSS

Sports teams are superstitious about anthem singers. A friend of mine sang the anthem 8 times at Gillette and the team was 8-0. She sang before a playoff game in 2010 and they lost to Baltimore and she hasn't been invited back since.

I know Rene will be singing on Saturday as the game is the main game on Hockey Night in Canada on CBC but I have notice the past couple of years that the crowd seems to enjoy the nights Rene DOESN'T sing and some singers have really excited the crowd. (Tonight for example )

In 2013 WGN Radio in Chicago mocked Rene in a way that frankly made me laugh but it was dead on.

Poll question is in jest but I am curious on how everyone feels about Rene.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can't sing at all but I can give it a go, I'll take a bullet for the team with that :laugh:

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
:D

OK this is just tongue in cheek but poor Rene Rancourt is having a rough season.

He has sung the anthem 5 times this year and the Bruins have gone 0-5-0 :cry:

• October 8th Winnipeg LOSS
  • October 10th Montreal LOSS
  • October 12th Tampa Bay LOSS
  • November 3rd Dallas LOSS
  • November 17th San Jose LOSS

Sports teams are superstitious about anthem singers. A friend of mine sang the anthem 8 times at Gillette and the team was 8-0. She sang before a playoff game in 2010 and they lost to Baltimore and she hasn't been invited back since.

I know Rene will be singing on Saturday as the game is the main game on Hockey Night in Canada on CBC but I have notice the past couple of years that the crowd seems to enjoy the nights Rene DOESN'T sing and some singers have really excited the crowd. (Tonight for example )

In 2013 WGN Radio in Chicago mocked Rene in a way that frankly made me laugh but it was dead on.

Poll question is in jest but I am curious on how everyone feels about Rene.

8-1 is pretty subpar for the Patriots :laugh:

My vote is K. Miller because that means he probably is not playing in the game.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I take some heat from out of town friends over Rene.

The man is 76 years old and while he now seems tone deaf he is the oldest remaining Bruins tradition since somebody at the Bruins decided to eliminate Paree.

KPD wrote a few years ago that he wishes we could go back to a simpler time. I have to agree with him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey.../02/arena_situation_is_disquieting/?page=full

Once was the time, prior to puck drop on Causeway Street, that public-address announcer Frank Fallon asked everyone to stand while organist John Kiley played the national anthem. The full house of 13,909 promptly stood, Kiley played, and most of the crowd sang along, always with hats respectfully pulled off and usually with hands over hearts. Voices in the crowd added appropriate gusto when it came to “the bombs BURST-ING in air . . .’’

Short, simple, and in retrospect, quite sweet, delightfully primitive by today’s standards. Our needs and expectations were modest, our eardrums intact.

Other than the game, that was about the extent of “arena entertainment’’ at the old Garden, except for when a period ended and Kiley filled the break with more of his mellifluous organ music. The Beatles songbook (“Michelle,’’ “Yesterday’’) was a JK fave. The thought of John Kiley with a whammy-kablammy blaster . . . scary.

John Kiley's anthems were quick and to the point and usually under a minute.

I miss those days.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Rene Rancourt is brutal time to retire. We need someone with some strong vocals like in Chicago or better yet a hot girl with good vocals.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
In light of whats been happening in our world? Really?

Sing the anthem out of your own mouth and heart--it doesnt matter who's on the ice.

and are you really bashing Rene some of you? :shakehead:shakehead

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The Star Spangled Banner will always sound good to me. Rene has earned his keep. I'd like to keep a little tradition around the team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I get that Rene is a tradition, but he has lost his fastball. It happens as a singer gets older. Not sure who the guy was that sang it last night, but he kicked ass. I would be down with him doing it for all the home games.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I get that Rene is a tradition, but he has lost his fastball. It happens as a singer gets older. Not sure who the guy was that sang it last night, but he kicked ass. I would be down with him doing it for all the home games.

Definitely agree with that. I went to one of the home games he sang at last year and he sounded great. I've never really thought Rene had a "great" voice. He's kind of like a cheesy lounge singer, but to me that's part of his appeal.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Definitely agree with that. I went to one of the home games he sang at last year and he sounded great. I've never really thought Rene had a "great" voice. He's kind of like a cheesy lounge singer, but to me that's part of his appeal.

30 years ago he sounded great

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Let Rene sing it. It would be better than listening to someone take a crowbar to the Anthem like what happened in one of the home games !!!

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I like when People blame the anthem singer for the reason the Bruins suck at home. :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't think any of us will forget this masterpiece :laugh:

[NHL]79944[/NHL]

But we did win the Cup that season :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad