who should get the torch on opening night?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The flame thing has been cheapened further by DJs who use those fake torches with the fluttering toilet paper as a replacement for fire. I hope the Habs do away with it completely.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You are suffering from paranoid delusions though.

To be fair, and you might find it appropriate but I was like "wait...why are we talking about desharnais?"

Either way, hope they go a different route. Sure, keep the torch but different ceremony would be best. No passing it over and over.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Or across

n7Dbo.gif

idk

Jan 11, 2012
In all honesty, if we do the torch thing I think maybe the focus should be taken off the specific player holding the torch and put on the team. To that end I'd have the current player who has the most games with the Canadiens (Markov) hand it to the youngest player on the team (at this point Galchenyuk, but that might change before the start of the season).

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Depends on who we want to get rid of as the whole torch thing hasn't worked out too well for some of these players.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
To be there in person to see this I bet is awesome.......but to watch on TV its bloody awful!!

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
now that I think about it, last year's ceremony was an embarrassment. Time to do something new. No special treatment to one year players.

Even this year's opening ceremony in the playoffs was getting old by the second round. Special things are only special when you do then infrequently.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
now that I think about it, last year's ceremony was an embarrassment. Time to do something new. No special treatment to one year players.

Even this year's opening ceremony in the playoffs was getting old by the second round. Special things are only special when you do then infrequently.

Word.

This year's first opening ceremony in the playoffs was totally epic. And then, by the second round, it was already kinda fromage.

HabsHockey*

This. When Briere got the flame 1st, it became a joke.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Since the torch is linked with Flanders field, which has been linked with the habs forever, I can understand why the habs keep it going.

Whether the team is dominant anymore is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with recognizing the proud history of the club.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Since the torch is linked with Flanders field, which has been linked with the habs forever, I can understand why the habs keep it going.

Whether the team is dominant anymore is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with recognizing the proud history of the club.

Agree. It's our thing. Just embrace it. As if we're supposed to care what other teams think of us. They already hate us. You should watch a leafs opening ceremony. Bruuuuutal.

Briere was a publicity stunt. Doubt they do it with PAP. Why not just have Pleks do it since he will be the new captain? (Book it.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad