Who should be the next Head Coach?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
My take is that it should be a prior player with major clout.

I know this often doesn't work out. But I think we are in the rare situation where it WOULD work out. You can't bring in a college guy nor an unproven guy nor someone that's just a sloppy seconds/thirds. Why? You have highly spotlighted hall of famers on the roster that, in a pinch, are bigger than the team if you're being honest. You're gonna need someone to bring them back to Earth and really center the moment. These prior(s) floating around are just gonna come in and try to capture the monent and it won't last.

Random mid year game? Why would these guys care? Hall of famer behind you telling you that these moments are fleeting or that you need to shut the hell up? What are you gonna do? Sully had balls for about 1.5 seasons here. We all remember it. But looking at that objectively he was nothing and a relatively unimportant NHLer.

So yeah, I think a former (stud) player - - I'll reserve that spot for when I can really pin one down lol - should be our next bench boss.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sullivan was unproven and/or sloppy seconds and Crosby and Malkin took to him pretty well at first :dunno:

I just want a good hockey mind who's flexible and willing to try new things.

Fair.

This roster really should have at least two plans in place to take into a game / adjust mid-game. Some nights you can score your way to a win some nights you're gonna need to get grindy. Gotta have the system and players to do it.

Definitely think 2-3 roster moves are going to have to be made as soon as the new system comes in (reminisce 2015).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is dreamland because Sullivan ain’t getting fired but I want a talented coach at developing offense…that’s our main problem honestly

Reactions: Pens x

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
My take is that it should be a prior player with major clout.

I know this often doesn't work out. But I think we are in the rare situation where it WOULD work out. You can't bring in a college guy nor an unproven guy nor someone that's just a sloppy seconds/thirds. Why? You have highly spotlighted hall of famers on the roster that, in a pinch, are bigger than the team if you're being honest. You're gonna need someone to bring them back to Earth and really center the moment. These prior(s) floating around are just gonna come in and try to capture the monent and it won't last.

Random mid year game? Why would these guys care? Hall of famer behind you telling you that these moments are fleeting or that you need to shut the hell up? What are you gonna do? Sully had balls for about 1.5 seasons here. We all remember it. But looking at that objectively he was nothing and a relatively unimportant NHLer.

So yeah, I think a former (stud) player - - I'll reserve that spot for when I can really pin one down lol - should be our next bench boss.
So Craig Adam’s?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There aren’t a lot of candidates just sitting at home by the phone.

Generally good players don’t make good coaches so I wouldn’t go that route.

There’s Boudreau but he seems like a guy that wouldn’t do anything to fix our weak spots and I don’t know what he has to offer besides being a nice old man that the players enjoy playing for. If that doesn’t work though you’re kinda screwed.

Gallant seems too analytics-averse for Dubas to consider and seems to demand significantly more autonomy over roster moves and assistant coach hiring than GMs are comfortable with.

We’re dreadful defensively so to me a logical choice is Tippett.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
c64e36d3-ff70-4931-9323-153c110d196e_text.gif

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Pens are 6th in the league in GAA and 3rd in the league in SV%.

These are the times where analytics should fade into the hedges.

Team gives up a shit load of stupid ass lapse plays - so whatever a statistic tells you is going to be based entirely on bad luck from the other team / hitting posts or outright not telling the right story. Team IS shit defensively so far this year.

Anyway, I know former great players don't make great coaches - typically. I just feel that this is the time it would work. Another run for that guy, another run for our guys. All these retreads don't bring anything to this team. No jam, no excitement, just more/different levels of bullshit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Julien is another former coach without a job. He's 63 and has been out of coaching for 3 years, though. Might be retired.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Here’s my final answer

Head coach Dave Tippett
Assistant coach Dean Evason
Assistant coach Mike Vellucci

Switch Vellucci to running the D but keep him to handle the PK because it’s fine. All 3 were teammates in Hartford so there should be no issue working together. I like Evason but not sure why, seems like a no-nonsense guy. Retreads but who cares. We got like 2 years left and we can’t afford to hire a guy that needs to learn on the fly.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Gallant has had success wherever he has gone(minus CBJ) but he’s also gone to a lot of talented teams.

+1

Been calling for that since before NYR hired him.

But you know how it is:

Pretty much any coach with NHL experience: "He's been fired ___ times!", "He's a loser!", "He's never won a Cup!", blah blah blah....

Any coach without NHL experience: "Oh, so you want another Mike Johnston?!?!?", blah blah blah....

The options are very limited right now and the best thing would be a coach whose personality is not only DIFFERENT that Sully, but the OPPOSITE of Sully. Maybe Gallant isn't 100% that, but Cueball and Woodcroft surely aren't even close. Vellucci, Forrest and Reirden better not even be in the discussion.

That being said, I'd gladly take either Cueball or Woodcroft over Sully right this minute.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
There’s Boudreau but he seems like a guy that wouldn’t do anything to fix our weak spots and I don’t know what he has to offer besides being a nice old man that the players enjoy playing for. If that doesn’t work though you’re kinda screwed.
Why not? He's an offensive coach and we can't score. We're like 24th or something in GF/G. The vibes in the group are bad, and he can improve morale. Maybe that would help get the PP going?

Not to mention he's like the best regular season coach in the salary cap era, and we need a great record from here just to make the playoffs.

To me he looks like EXACTLY what we need. He was .650 or so with the Canucks in year 1. Not just a nice old man. A good coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad