Who should be our top pair RD?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah let's just never give him a chance to actually develop the one part of his game he'd need to improve in order to be at least a decent #1D.

I don't think he'll ever be that, so that's fine with me. Nothing about Danny Dekeyser's skill set tells me that he should be on our power play. You can want him to become a #1D, but if that comes to fruition, hope you realize that is far from a good thing for us.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It sucks that Dekeyser even has to play on the top pairing. Dude gets overwhelmed like crazy against top opponents.

Yeah... we should be sitting here talking about how great of a second pairing guy and penalty killer he is. If only we had a properly constructed defense.

None of us should want Dekyser to be our #1 defenseman. Unless we want to continue to be at best a middle of the pack team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm also for giving Glendening the #1 PP unit so he can improve his offense.
I'm not sure why I would even need to point out how ridiculous that comparison is, but since it seems I have to:

Luke Glendening career PPG - 0.21
Danny Dekeyser career PPG - 0.32

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm also for giving Glendening the #1 PP unit so he can improve his offense.

We'd prolly be better off with an earlier draft pick, I agree.

Yeah... we should be sitting here talking about how great of a second pairing guy and penalty killer he is. If only we had a properly constructed defense.

None of us should want Dekyser to be our #1 defenseman. Unless we want to continue to be at best a middle of the pack team.

Who ever manufactured Nick Lidstrom should be punched in the face for not making us a second one. I get robots can't be perfect at hockey for half a century, we just don't have the technology for that yet, so why don't get a second one???

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
DeKeyser had 32 points in 14/15 and last year put up 8 goals. 40 isn't out of the question.

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating. If you expect DeKeyser to hit 8 goals, or more, with any level of frequency, he's going to need about a billion more shots. He shot 11.1% last year, which is an impossible rate for a defender to sustain, let alone DeKeyser. Some names that have never shot 11% include Karlsson and PK Subban.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
DeKeyser had 32 points in 14/15 and last year put up 8 goals. 40 isn't out of the question.

Without PP time that year he was a 26 point defenseman....nowhere near 40. Like I said, needs PP time to get 40 (as does every defensemen in the league, not a knock on DDK) Which he won't get here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Without PP time that year he was a 26 point defenseman....nowhere near 40. Like I said, needs PP time to get 40 (as does every defensemen in the league, not a knock on DDK) Which he won't get here.

Blasihill clearly doesn't think much of him as a PP contributor, and I'm not arguing with it.

Kind of depends if we stick with 1 defenseman per PP unit, or if we go back to 2. If we go back to 2 he could see an increase in PP time.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
DK's shooting % is partly luck, but he is also extremely selective with his decisions to jump into the play

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Well 35 to 40 points per season, Would be one nice way for DDK to earn his $5 million per year salary.

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating. If you expect DeKeyser to hit 8 goals, or more, with any level of frequency, he's going to need about a billion more shots. He shot 11.1% last year, which is an impossible rate for a defender to sustain, let alone DeKeyser. Some names that have never shot 11% include Karlsson and PK Subban.

Blasihill clearly doesn't think much of him as a PP contributor, and I'm not arguing with it.

Kind of depends if we stick with 1 defenseman per PP unit, or if we go back to 2. If we go back to 2 he could see an increase in PP time.

Couple things here.

1. He did get PP time. He got those points. He was close to 40 points-ish in his second NHL season.
2. I'm not expecting another 8 goal season. He's a pretty good passer from the blue line though, and has wonderful pinches actually. I think he's capable of another level offensively to be honest. His goals last season weren't complete luck. He hit the net, pinched, had a couple wristers.
3. DeKeyser's pay was fair, and he isn't expected to be great offensively. I think Kenny and company expect him to continue to get better defensively and be at one of the better tier levels of defensive hockey. I'm not saying a Vlasic level, but a great level (under elite)
4. I like him on the PP next season depending on how Kronny does. I like him there because he can keep the puck in, and will stop the opposing team from PK goals which I've seen way too many of, including tonights.
5. I think the offense gets better, but still lacks as Z slows down in January, and Pavs is gone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
4. I like him on the PP next season depending on how Kronny does. I like him there because he can keep the puck in, and will stop the opposing team from PK goals .

Out 4 SH goals against was almost least in the league at last season. Where does this come from? Dallas let 14 goals against as most of all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad