Who should be our top pair RD?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It seems like the consensus for most is that Dekeyser will play the left side on the top pair. So who would you all like to see on the other side?

edit-- can a mod make this a poll for me? I thought I did, but guess not.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Unless a trade is made, And that's highly doubtful. I'm thinking as of now that the top pairing will be Danny DeKeyser-Mike Green not sure who else could do it unless Brendan Smith plays RD.

I believe he (Smith) has played more RD than LD in his career. I think the only other option I'd consider is Marchenko, but that would have to be a leap of faith. I think he plays the type of game that could withstand expanded minutes though, maybe. But he also is a guy that has been injury-prone, so not sure you want to bump his minutes.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Everything depends on consistent play IMO. From preseason I've still seen a boneheaded Brendan Smith. Style wise, he'd make some sense. However, if Danny DeKeyser is ready to take that next step offensively which I think he's capable of, you go with Marchenko. DeKeyser putting up 40 points with a reliable DD in Marchenko gives you a top pairing that can shut down top lines and play with the skilled guys.

DeKeyser-Marchenko

After that, I don't know. I'm really worried with Smith/Ericsson/Ouellet/Sproul. I kind of like the idea of Jensen but that's just me. Not on the top pairing, but playing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There's no TOP pair. Just three 2nds, where every one of them have a specific role.
Basically this..

Dekeyser-Marchenko : #1 ES + PK

Kronwall - Green : #2 ES + PP

Ericsson/Ouellet-Smith : #3 ES + PK

I'd love it if we could dump Smith though. I see no role for him on this team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's no TOP pair. Just three 2nds, where every one of them have a specific role.

We can't lean on a top pair like we should be able to. Or like a lot of other teams can. But someone is going to get the most minutes at ES and along with that some tougher matchups.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Everything depends on consistent play IMO. From preseason I've still seen a boneheaded Brendan Smith. Style wise, he'd make some sense. However, if Danny DeKeyser is ready to take that next step offensively which I think he's capable of, you go with Marchenko. DeKeyser putting up 40 points with a reliable DD in Marchenko gives you a top pairing that can shut down top lines and play with the skilled guys.

DeKeyser-Marchenko

After that, I don't know. I'm really worried with Smith/Ericsson/Ouellet/Sproul. I kind of like the idea of Jensen but that's just me. Not on the top pairing, but playing.

DDK won't touch 40 points unless he's on the power play.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

DeKeyser-Marchenko

DDK would need to get tons of PP time to be able to put up 40 points, Not sure that will ever happen.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I don't have the article(I think it was posted here?) but it sounded like it was DDK-Smith doing alot of practicing as a new pairing this season.

Dont quote me on that unless you found the link :D:D

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Marchenko>>>>Smith

I'm not sure what is best. Most teams don't seem to be loading their top pairing as much, instead distributing strength to the top 2 pairings. Blashill seemed encouraged by Marchenko's WC I wonder if this is a plan or just an experiment for tonight.

Barring injuries I want less line juggling than last season. It takes weeks and weeks to establish chemistry, especially for D-men. The Wings should have a solid idea of what guys are capable of and stay with the plan.

This is horrible to say but I have this sinking feeling Kronwall may not ever return. :cry:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't have the article(I think it was posted here?) but it sounded like it was DDK-Smith doing alot of practicing as a new pairing this season.

Dont quote me on that unless you found the link :D:D

Wouldn't surprise me none, Not sure if Blashill would be comfortable with DDK-Green Green is probably more suitable for the 2nd pairing with Kronwall and i seriously doubt right now that Marchenko could handle top pairing minutes. So Smith would make far more sense.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Basically this..

Dekeyser-Marchenko : #1 ES + PK

Kronwall - Green : #2 ES + PP

Ericsson/Ouellet-Smith : #3 ES + PK

I'd love it if we could dump Smith though. I see no role for him on this team.

I don't like Smith's passing and decision making, but he is miles ahead of XO as an NHL defender.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'd rather DDK was paired with someone who's a stronger passer; I don't think that is Marchenko. Seems like Green or Smith would be the current, obvious candidates (though I sure wish we could get Sproul or Russo a chance, neither could really make the defense any worse).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Green is our top guy at this spot. We're really going to see what he's made of this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad