Speculation: Who should be our next captain? - Update: it's Staal

Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Slavin? At least as "acting" captain until JW comes back, assuming he does come back.

Sorry, but I'm going to stir something up. Either I'm obviously missing something, or others don't understand the role of the captain. With that in mind...

Aside from being very good at hockey and being very good at being Christian, what "leadership" qualities has *anybody* seen out of Jaccob Slavin in his four seasons here?

Because I'll be honest, if we're choosing guys with whom to go into battle, guys for whom I'd run through a brick wall, I'm picking Brock McGinn before I pick Jaccob Slavin.

Reactions: cptjeff

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I have no insight into what actually goes on between the players but my pick would be slavin because you know what you're getting from him 100% of the time. Hes not a yeller or probably a speech maker at all, but hes going to keep an even keel with refs/teammates/coaches while playing his best, showing up early and leaving late, etc. and you wont want to disappoint him. Those were the types of players I most appreciated playing with anyway

Reactions: zman77

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Sorry, but I'm going to stir something up. Either I'm obviously missing something, or others don't understand the role of the captain. With that in mind...

Aside from being very good at hockey and being very good at being Christian, what "leadership" qualities has *anybody* seen out of Jaccob Slavin in his four seasons here?

Because I'll be honest, if we're choosing guys with whom to go into battle, guys for whom I'd run through a brick wall, I'm picking Brock McGinn before I pick Jaccob Slavin.

If that’s being said about Slavin you could say the same for Faulk or to a lesser extent Staal. Staal you atleast hear from the broadcasters that he’s respected behind the scenes, something that I’ve heard them mention about Slavin since the off season. If your wanting an outspoken guy that battles to lead, Martinook has shown that in spades since being acquired.

It just depends on what public qualities you think a captain should exhibit.

Reactions: Roboturner913

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

So basically, a dude who will got down to Key West with you on Spring Break....and will jump head long into the subsequent barroom brawls....I can see that as captain material myself....

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Somehow the title reminds me of the time when the human body was first created and the various body parts had to decide who will be the leader.

... which in a way technically locks my answer.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So basically, a dude who will got down to Key West with you on Spring Break....and will jump head long into the subsequent barroom brawls....I can see that as captain material myself....

Worked out well with Pat Verbeek and Chris Pronger.......oh right.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

I said this in another thread, Slavin is modern day Glen Wesley right down to his beliefs. I think he’s the perfect ‘A’. Leads the blue line by example, lives in Raleigh year round building a family and working in the community both on behalf of the Canes and on his own. As a CT guy you and I both know how important that community involvement is to a small market.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I said this in another thread, Slavin is modern day Glen Wesley right down to his beliefs. I think he’s the perfect ‘A’. Leads the blue line by example, lives in Raleigh year round building a family and working in the community both on behalf of the Canes and on his own. As a CT guy you and I both know how important that community involvement is to a small market.
I agree. Slavin is perfect for the A. I don't think he's a C.

Aho if he's ready, Martinook if he isn't.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The trick, is who's going to be hard on the guys. Who's going to yell at them and say "We're playing like *#$@, let's get our head out of our @#$@ and get it going.*"

I think it's Aho. He seems like he's got that edge that maybe Staal and Slavin might not have. Although, there's no way for any of us to really know.

Martinook maybe could do it, but I think I'd rather he be strictly positive energy.

I'd also add, from the outside, the dynamic in the room seems a little odd, in that Brind'amour seems like he's sort of filling that Captain role as well as being the head coach.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Slavin is a quiet star in the NHL who plays more than any other 'Cane.
He averaged around 25-26 minutes a game in the NHL Play-Offs.
The boys looked up to Justin William's day to day intensity.
Is Justin living in Raleigh during the season?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

Using similar logic, you'd have wanted a guy like Maltby over Lidstrom in Detroit? Asking for a friend.

You almost have to go with Staal by default.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
To me it seems like an issue that Aho doesn't speak English very well (at this time). Part of the C's job is communicating with the refs. Williams was great at jockeying the refs.

Reactions: sheriff bart

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If that’s being said about Slavin you could say the same for Faulk or to a lesser extent Staal. Staal you atleast hear from the broadcasters that he’s respected behind the scenes, something that I’ve heard them mention about Slavin since the off season. If your wanting an outspoken guy that battles to lead, Martinook has shown that in spades since being acquired.

It just depends on what public qualities you think a captain should exhibit.

I think you could say the same about Faulk and Staal, and I think the co-captaincy was a leadership void as a result. Those guys are good as As. They make the new guys feel welcome, they can help put out fires in the locker room, but they're never going to rally a room the way that Williams or Brind'Amour did. Staal and Slavin are the world's most perfect As. Faulk is good in that role too, and has tenure on Slavin.

But they've been grooming Aho. He's been sitting next to Williams the way that they put Eric next to Brindy. It's clear they've looked at him as a future captain, and while it might be too soon, he's stepped up to the plate every time we've given him more responsibility. He's not a rah rah vocal guy like Williams, but he's always actively talking to everybody and coaching the same way Brindy did. And he has that angry drive where he really, really hates to lose. Might as well give him the C, if Williams comes back he cedes it back to Williams. But I think it's clear that the team expects Aho to take that leadership role eventually, so it may not be the moment you planned, but here's the moment you get.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
To me it seems like an issue that Aho doesn't speak English very well (at this time). Part of the C's job is communicating with the refs. Williams was great at jockeying the refs.

I disagree. His English has gotten much better since his rookie season. I used to feel so bad during his interviews because we knew he was intelligent, just couldn't communicate what he wanted to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad