Who should be our 3rd line center?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'd start McCarron in St. John's. He wasn't ready at the end of last season. He can get called up in December or January if producing, if not bring him next year. A couple preseason games doesn't mean he's ready. Let him be the #1 centre in St. John's and see what happens.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
desharnais could put up 60 pts this year and he'd still be considered ****.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
McCaron is what we need but he needs another season to hone his skills in AHL.
Maybe mid season or towards the end of the season we can bring him.

He did a lot of improvement this summer.
He is less than a year from making the team.

Also there will be injuries and he can be brought in at any time.
It is not like we have plenty of space in our line-up.

I really want him to go back to AHL and dominate.
He could do it this year.

Also, he does not stay very long on the ice.
He needs to work on his lower body for another summer.
Worst case, next year, he could compete for third line center.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I think Mccarron will produce with productive wingers. Put him with two 12-15 goals scorer guys, plus some time on PP, and he should get at least 20 assists, + around 10+ goals.

He creates scoring chances, space, shots, passes, net trafic, he retrieves pucks and win most of his board battles.

He was close to dominant in today,s game. He will grow and develop a lot faster by playing in the NHL and as much as I wanted him C4 to start the season, I think he could do really well at C3 now.

If some fans thought of Eller as a perfect C3, Mccarron is showing that is not that far off if not already more efficient in that role. Mccarron produces puck possession, and more than ofthen his line is finishing the shift in o-zone.

With wingers like Carr, Shaw, Ghetto, Lehkonen, I would not be surprised to see Mccarron hitting 30 pts in his first full NHL season, which would be absolutely great, considering all other things that he brings to this team.
TBH, I like many things about McCaron.
But letting him play most of the season in AHL is the best choice.

I want him to be in our line-up a few weeks before PO.

In the mean time, let him get top-line duties in AHL.
Same as with the Knights where he took a year to get ready and exploded in the second year.

As for putting him with 10-15 goals scorers:
We can agree it is not going to be Galchenyuk/Pacioretty/Gallagher/Plekanec/Radulov.

Remains: Weise/Fleshman/Eller who are all gone.

Byron and Mitchell are the one remaining but on the fourth line.

So the only 10-15 goals scores that remains are Desharnais/Shaw/Lehkonen.

I agree that BigMac is not very far from a third line center.
Still want him in AHL for at least 40-50 games.
He did have a pace of 46 points, I want more and he can do it.

We have DD who can play 3rd line center under contract.
So we are not in a rush if DD can get us 30+ points.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Voted DD because that means he isn't in the top 6 with Patches or Gally playing top PP time...I would hope :(

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would of like to vote Mitchell...
Vote DD because if he get a hot start maybe we can move him and even if he isn't my fav he probably would produce more pts than Danault...
Ultimately it will be McCarron job but I prefer having start the year playing top line minute in the AHL.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
I want Mccarron to center the 3rd line, so the lineup could go like this :

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Radulov
Shaw - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Desharnais - McCarron - Andrighetto
Byron - Mitchell - Danault
Ex: Matteau, Flynn

1st PP :
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Beaulieu(or Markov) - Weber

2nd PP :
Desharnais - Plekanec - Gallagher
Markov(or Beaulieu) - Petry

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I also think Desharnais as our 3C is not a bad thing. While 95% of the fan base want him gone, IF he has to be in the line-up, the best spot for him is a third line center. When he goes up against the other team's 3rd line and the 3rd pairing, he can better serve the team than being in the top-6 and facing tougher match-ups.

Not to mention he's on his final year. And while most believe (or fear) he will be extended, I think DD either doesn't end the year in Montreal or he isn't here next year. If it's true that MB has been trying to trade DD, then I don't see a reason why he would re-sign him. He obviously would rather not have the guy on the roster. And with McCarron showing he is close to the NHL, then by the time DD is done in Montreal, someone younger, cheaper, and more effective will step right in.

McCarron being the IceCaps #1 center will only help him. He's been consistently progressing since his draft year, but it's no reason to bring him to the NHL just yet. If he does crack the line-up opening night, good for him, he's one of the few that would earn it. But if he's sent down, exercising patience will benefit the player and the club in the very near future. I can't help but feel he will be real effective in the playoffs.

Torrey Mitchell to me can be a 3C, but if he is who you have as your 4C, you're in business. Before I joined these boards this summer, I was advocating with friends that my fourth line would consist of Byron - Mitchell - Danault. It looks to be shaping up that way and I believe they can be one of the best fourth lines in the league.

Edit: just saw that Danault is the option, not Mitchell. But what I wrote for Mitchell, I mean it also for Danault. Although between Mitchell and Danault, I feel Danault has more potential to be a 3C.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I want Mccarron to center the 3rd line, so the lineup could go like this :

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Radulov
Shaw - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Desharnais - McCarron - Andrighetto
Byron - Mitchell - Danault
Ex: Matteau, Flynn

1st PP :
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Beaulieu(or Markov) - Weber

2nd PP :
SHAW - Plekanec - Gallagher
Markov(or Beaulieu) - Petry

Fixed it for you

I also think Desharnais as our 3C is not a bad thing. While 95% of the fan base want him gone, IF he has to be in the line-up, the best spot for him is a third line center. When he goes up against the other team's 3rd line and the 3rd pairing, he can better serve the team than being in the top-6 and facing tougher match-ups.

Being a 3rd line center might be the best place for DD....but not the best thing for the team.

Now that narrative of DD being better against weaker opposition is so stupid. Therrien already did everything he could to get them against waeker opposition when he was on the 1st line. Hardly never faced the opposition top 2 line (Plekanec and Eller was doing that).

And it's kind of normal, a coach will try to put his best line out there against the bottom 6 and take advantage of the situation as much as possible....and now the narrative is that quality ice-time will go to DD because he's too weak against top lines? Great plan. Other teams will try to take advantage off DD too cause they know he's not good defensively. That's why home coach have the last change.

Anyway, even if he'll get waeker opposition, he'll also have weaker linesmates so it kind of balance everything.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Radulov
D.D. - McCarron - Shaw
Danault - Mitchell - Byron
Flynn - Andrighetto

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
Redmond

Price
Montoya

that would be my starting lineup

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Fixed it for you

Being a 3rd line center might be the best place for DD....but not the best thing for the team.

Now that narrative of DD being better against weaker opposition is so stupid. Therrien already did everything he could to get them against waeker opposition when he was on the 1st line. Hardly never faced the opposition top 2 line (Plekanec and Eller was doing that).

And it's kind of normal, a coach will try to put his best line out there against the bottom 6 and take advantage of the situation as much as possible....and now the narrative is that quality ice-time will go to DD because he's too weak against top lines? Great plan. Other teams will try to take advantage off DD too cause they know he's not good defensively. That's why home coach have the last change.

Anyway, even if he'll get waeker opposition, he'll also have weaker linesmates so it kind of balance everything.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1249&withagainst=true&season=2014-15&sit=5v5

When he last played 1st line to start and end the year (2014-15) his most frequent competition included Bergeron, Crosby, etc... at even strength. If you compare with Eller:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1249&withagainst=true&season=2014-15&sit=5v5

Crosby isn't even on his list.

Stamkos, Barkov, Datsyuk, etc... faced DD more than Eller. Eller faced Malkin and others more to be fair.

You can see yourself.

It's very hard to shelter a 1st line, so pushing a narrative like that when facts disagree is pointless.

I'm certain MT did TRY to get favorable matchups for his top line. 1) Because they weren't very dominant, 2) Because any coach would if they could.

I just don't see how he hardly played against top 2 lines though.

Jul 6, 2016

Not to mention he's on his final year. And while most believe (or fear) he will be extended, I think DD either doesn't end the year in Montreal or he isn't here next year. If it's true that MB has been trying to trade DD, then I don't see a reason why he would re-sign him. He obviously would rather not have the guy on the roster. And with McCarron showing he is close to the NHL, then by the time DD is done in Montreal, someone younger, cheaper, and more effective will step right in.

McCarron being the IceCaps #1 center will only help him. He's been consistently progressing since his draft year, but it's no reason to bring him to the NHL just yet. If he does crack the line-up opening night, good for him, he's one of the few that would earn it. But if he's sent down, exercising patience will benefit the player and the club in the very near future. I can't help but feel he will be real effective in the playoffs.

Torrey Mitchell to me can be a 3C, but if he is who you have as your 4C, you're in business. Before I joined these boards this summer, I was advocating with friends that my fourth line would consist of Byron - Mitchell - Danault. It looks to be shaping up that way and I believe they can be one of the best fourth lines in the league.

Edit: just saw that Danault is the option, not Mitchell. But what I wrote for Mitchell, I mean it also for Danault. Although between Mitchell and Danault, I feel Danault has more potential to be a 3C.

Totally agree. DD won't be re-signed.

Jul 6, 2016

When he last played 1st line to start and end the year (2014-15) his most frequent competition included Bergeron, Crosby, etc... at even strength. If you compare with Eller:

Crosby isn't even on his list.

Stamkos, Barkov, Datsyuk, etc... faced DD more than Eller. Eller faced Malkin and others more to be fair.

You can see yourself.

It's very hard to shelter a 1st line, so pushing a narrative like that when facts disagree is pointless.

I'm certain MT did TRY to get favorable matchups for his top line. 1) Because they weren't very dominant, 2) Because any coach would if they could.

I just don't see how he hardly played against top 2 lines though.

You're right. How can you shelter your first line, especially when playing on opponent's ices ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad